You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strange Hobbies

Section_31

• 6 years later...

Not so much a strange hobby, but spent the last couple of days of putting together various miniatures for some tabletop Wargames. 

Punic Wars Romans and Carthaginians 

Waterloo British and French

And a game called Mythic Battles Pantheon about war in the Mythological age in Ancient Greece

So some test painting and base colours on some minis

IMG_20201218_202238.jpg

• Upvote 4

Just now, General Dryness said:

Have you got cyclops?

Thats the one I'd get.

Strangely they did 120 different characters and didn't do any of Arges, Brontes or Steropes. 

If the weather holds up tomorrow and I can go outside to prime the minis and leave them outside for 30 minutes I'll be doing some more. Probably Pan and Leonidas

This is Pan

16083237166288990187405341565330.jpg

19 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Strangely they did 120 different characters and didn't do any of Arges, Brontes or Steropes. 

If the weather holds up tomorrow and I can go outside to prime the minis and leave them outside for 30 minutes I'll be doing some more. Probably Pan and Leonidas

This is Pan

Did a Spartan instead

IMG_20201219_161739.jpg

• Upvote 3

Great work, Lee. Quite a few of my board gaming buddies are terrific miniatures painters, I've never got in to the game side of it but used to do a bit as a kid. 

2020 hasn't been a great year for us board gamers, a lot has gone digital/online but it's not the same. 

I'm more interested in that side of the hobby at the moment. Loads of projects on the go. And something I'm really trying to get better at. 

That miniature is from a board/card game from Monolith Games. Mythic battles pantheon, trying to get stuck into these as the new kickstarter is due in the next month or so and its moving everything from Greece to the Norse gods. 

On 14/07/2014 at 23:07, chrisbonnie said:

I race pigeons.

Not the weirdest hobby in the world. But not exactly run of the mill either I suppose.

I was watching a news item a few weeks ago which reported pigeon racing was on the decline in the UK but it's on the rise in China. Someone has just paid £1.4m for one pigeon.

Hearts aflutter, China's pigeon racing enthusiasts spend big to indulge their passion

https://uk.reuters.com/article/china-pigeon/hearts-aflutter-chinas-pigeon-racing-enthusiasts-spend-big-to-indulge-their-passion-idUKKBN28L068

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I was watching a news item a few weeks ago which reported pigeon racing was on the decline in the UK but it's on the rise in China. Someone has just paid £1.4m for one pigeon.

Hearts aflutter, China's pigeon racing enthusiasts spend big to indulge their passion

https://uk.reuters.com/article/china-pigeon/hearts-aflutter-chinas-pigeon-racing-enthusiasts-spend-big-to-indulge-their-passion-idUKKBN28L068

The game in general is dying out. But the hotbed in England would mainly be the north east of England, I think I read somewhere out became massively big there because the miners had decent money and where able to bring the best birds up there. I'm in Dublin myself, but the scene here is still pretty big. My club would send anything from 500-1000 pigeons every week to a race, and in Dublin we'd send anything from 6000-14000 pigeons weekly racing. You'd be amazed what's happening in thrash skies every weekend, batches if little pigeons flying home from 150 miles away at speed up to 65mph. 

Regarding the pigeon sold to china, its just silly money isn't it. But that pigeon will be put to stud, just like a race horse. But unlike racehorses that pigeon can lay a round of eggs every few weeks, whoever owns it now will simply take the eggs off her and place them under foster parents, so theoretically in a year that hen could give you two babies every 3-4 weeks, and god knows what the owner would charge for one of those babies, maybe 10k each? 

21 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’ve posted about this before but Mrs Kurtz is trying to spot people wearing replica shirts from every club in the league. She’s up to 73. It’s taken 14 years so far. 

Shut the thread.

49 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Be boss if that pigeon in China flies back home. 

Funny you talk about pigeons, belgium and the Netherlands are the absolute hotbed of pigeon racing in the world. I've been to Utrecht for the annual pigeon expo 3 times. Only for covid I'd have gone again. Its absolutely huge in the Netherlands, we're talking many guys race professionally and are millionaires through pigeons. And some not too far from you actually, dordrecht being one that springs to mind, some real big names from there. 

Here's another crazy fact, well, probably nerdy more than crazy, but the weekend of the pigeon show in houten is usually the first weekend of march. On that one weekend, they reckon close to 10 million euros is spent in and around Antwerp (Belgium) on pigeons by foreign "fanciers". Its an expensive hobby, but money can be made from it. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

These people must be single. The thought of going home and telling mrs Kurtz I’ve spent £10k on a flying rat. 

The auction site where that pigeon was sold currently has an auction going on and the chap is selling all his pigeons from 18/19/20. The whole lot is currently sitting at nearly 2 million euro. 

If im not mistaken, the chap that sold the rabbit expensive one has retired, he's in his late 70's. But his whole team of birds that he sold earned him around 4 million euro. 

I've been to mickey mouse auctions here in Dublin and seen pigeons selling for over 10k regularly 

On 18/12/2020 at 13:35, Lee909 said:

This is Pan

Pan’s good, but he’s no Priapus. 

He wields a mighty weapon. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

That's excellent, are they like prince August, as in you melt lead to make the figures in a mould? Great detail by the way!! 

Thanks 

Most of the stuff I have comes like Game Workshop plastic kits. So piece together and use plothene cement to glue. Others are hard plastic simple kits like the Napoleonics I showed, not quite as good but 60 minis for £20 and you needs loads for that period. 

The Greek stuff though is resin, it's all cast and shipped with little assembly required. Just a clean up of mould line, washed and primed for painting. 

Just getting back into it again, I find it quite calming just stick the laptop on or a audio book and relax. Feels like I'm actually accomplishing something than than sitting in front of the box or playing xbox

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

The game in general is dying out. But the hotbed in England would mainly be the north east of England, I think I read somewhere out became massively big there because the miners had decent money and where able to bring the best birds up there. I'm in Dublin myself, but the scene here is still pretty big. My club would send anything from 500-1000 pigeons every week to a race, and in Dublin we'd send anything from 6000-14000 pigeons weekly racing. You'd be amazed what's happening in thrash skies every weekend, batches if little pigeons flying home from 150 miles away at speed up to 65mph. 

Regarding the pigeon sold to china, its just silly money isn't it. But that pigeon will be put to stud, just like a race horse. But unlike racehorses that pigeon can lay a round of eggs every few weeks, whoever owns it now will simply take the eggs off her and place them under foster parents, so theoretically in a year that hen could give you two babies every 3-4 weeks, and god knows what the owner would charge for one of those babies, maybe 10k each? 

I've kept pigeons on and off since I was about 11, got my brothers when he moved out and that started the love of these birds.
It's difficult these day's, neighbours complain about bird shit on the roof and the cooing, but over the last 20yrs or so we lived in a big old Queenslander, pretty secluded so was able keep my loft breeding most of the time.
Things started to get tough though latterly due to the conservation of predatory  hawk's, my best birds were being taken regularly.
We've now living in a modern housing suburb, so keeping pigeons is out of the question, . . . I miss them.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, nimrod said:

I've kept pigeons on and off since I was about 11, got my brothers when he moved out and that started the love of these birds.
It's difficult these day's, neighbours complain about bird shit on the roof and the cooing, but over the last 20yrs or so we lived in a big old Queenslander, pretty secluded so was able keep my loft breeding most of the time.
Things started to get tough though latterly due to the conservation of predatory  hawk's, my best birds were being taken regularly.
We've now living in a modern housing suburb, so keeping pigeons is out of the question, . . . I miss them.

This question comes from somebody without any knowledge or inclination, but what do you do with them and what’s the reason they’re kept?

I’m genuinely ignorant to this.