You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

On a personal note, work-life balance over here in America is a constant struggle. I think generally Americans work longer hours than back home, and unfortunately I have a lot of responsibilities so it piles up. Some people think ministers only work on a Sunday, but that is far from true! For me though this is a calling, not a job, as such. That doesn't mean it is always easy, far from it in fact, but on the whole it is a joy.

I have a lot of meetings and can start as early as you like some days, e.g. 6.30am. Conversely sometimes I'm in board meetings and so on until 11pm or later. So the hours are long, if you want to really try to make it count. On the other hand, I can be flexible and take a day off in the week and catch up with Mrs G and so on. Everyone understands. The team we have assembled are all good people. If my staff need to do something personal they do it. I am 100% confident in everyone. They all work hard but they all have lives to manage too. It's a good situation. If someone is sick usually I'm telling them to go home and take a day off, rather than people swinging the lead and trying it on. That's not my world, though I know it happens.

In my line of work I need to do more of a study day each week too, and I often do that from home so as to avoid impromptu meetings and so on in a workplace that has four full time ministers, two full time admin staff, one full time preschool director and about 25 part time teaching staff on that side of things. Lots of moving parts, but again, it is a joy.

Sounds like your within your rights to ask the Lord for a pay rise, Rev.

I'm currently leaving the house at 0530 and get home around 1700; been doing it for almost two years and it's beasting me.

I can't wait to move.

I worked in Leeds for a couple of years, the only way to beat traffic was to set off before 6. It fucking killled me so I feel your pain.

Tonight's the killer because I get home off the back off a 60 hour week and then get the kids. I'm not complaining about having them as I cherish every moment but I feel like half a person at best and feel like we're all missing out.

Moving away will be best for everyone.

• Upvote 1

With staff off sick, training booked in and A/L it feels like I’ve been living at work recently.

In the last fortnight I’ve worked

Monday - 24 hours

Tuesday - off

Wednesday - 13.5 hours

Thursday - 5.5 hours

Friday into Saturday - 32 hours

Sunday - off

Monday into Tuesday - 32 hours

Wednesday - 6 hours

Thursday into Friday - 32 hours.

So after working 113 hours in 12 days I came home yesterday evening, had 2 beers and fell asleep at 8 o’clock.

Of course I then woke up at 1am, have been awake since and am back in work 9 o’clock this morning.

I'm in Charles de Gaulle. I got up at 3am and left the house at 4. I'll get to my final destination in the States at midnight my time. In the next 21 days, I'll spend 16 of them away either in USA or China. Of the five at home, only two will be days off. After this stint, I will get a week at home and then start a similar schedule but with Mexico, India & Egypt. Then there will be a final 21 day stint to get me to Christmas. I used to love this but now am just thinking of how much I'll miss my daughter between now and Christmas

I'm in Charles de Gaulle. I got up at 3am and left the house at 4. I'll get to my final destination in the States at midnight my time. In the next 21 days, I'll spend 16 of them away either in USA or China. Of the five at home, only two will be days off. After this stint, I will get a week at home and then start a similar schedule but with Mexico, India & Egypt. Then there will be a final 21 day stint to get me to Christmas. I used to love this but now am just thinking of how much I'll miss my daughter between now and Christmas

what do you do?

• 5 years later...

Half way there...

Trials of four-day working week hailed as 'a resounding success' (irishexaminer.com)

Ireland's first-ever trial of a four-day working week has been described as "a resounding success", with all 12 companies that tested the new schedule now planning to continue it into the future.

Employees were universal in their praise of the trial, reporting reduced stress, burnout, and fatigue while being able to sleep more each night and spending more time on hobbies, as well as community and voluntary work.

All of the companies and organisations that took part in the six-month experiment also reported a range of positive outcomes, including productivity and reduced energy usage, while all but one noted an increase in revenue.

The trial was backed by the trade union Fórsa and in partnership with Four-Day Week Ireland, University College Dublin, and Boston College, and the results will be presented at Dublin Chamber of Commerce today. It examined the financial, social, and environmental impact that a four-day working week would have on businesses and employees in Ireland. 

The companies that took part committed to operating a reduced work week with no loss of pay. Similar trials are taking place in the United States, Australia, and New Zealand under the Four Day Week Global (4DWG) campaign. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Half way there...

Trials of four-day working week hailed as 'a resounding success' (irishexaminer.com)

Ireland's first-ever trial of a four-day working week has been described as "a resounding success", with all 12 companies that tested the new schedule now planning to continue it into the future.

Employees were universal in their praise of the trial, reporting reduced stress, burnout, and fatigue while being able to sleep more each night and spending more time on hobbies, as well as community and voluntary work.

All of the companies and organisations that took part in the six-month experiment also reported a range of positive outcomes, including productivity and reduced energy usage, while all but one noted an increase in revenue.

The trial was backed by the trade union Fórsa and in partnership with Four-Day Week Ireland, University College Dublin, and Boston College, and the results will be presented at Dublin Chamber of Commerce today. It examined the financial, social, and environmental impact that a four-day working week would have on businesses and employees in Ireland. 

The companies that took part committed to operating a reduced work week with no loss of pay. Similar trials are taking place in the United States, Australia, and New Zealand under the Four Day Week Global (4DWG) campaign. 

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.Second, it is violently opposed.Third, it is accepted as being self-evident

We’re through the first stage now.