You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

I work for a large multinational in Ireland and have done for nearly 20 years (since leaving college). had various roles in that time and moving up the wage scale as time went on.

In those 20 years life has evolved and I now have a missus and 2 kids (one with special needs). The wife had to leave her job so she now looks after the kids meaning we are single income household. I live in Dublin which is one pricey fucking city to be in but fuck it - it is what it is and I cant change it.

From a work life balance persepctive the job is not too bad. Its Sales so I can work from home when I want and I get out and about. It helps with giving the missus a dig out at home when needs be.

The major problem is that I need to earn high wages just to survive (80k plus) to provide for all 4 mouths. In order to achieve that I have to take the shite that comes with the territory - high stress, long hours, weekend emails, office politics etc. I don't want to move up the ladder to better paid jobs, I just want to provide and pay the bloody bills. But I am getting to the stage that I hate my job.

Have often thought about jacking it in for a less stressful job and take the hit on the money. However waking up in the middle of the night worrying about paying bills is something far more terrifying so I put up with the status quo. Its too big a risk to take considering all the above.

Its a dilemma that few manage to figure out. Each to their own I guess.

For now its grin and bear. The kids and the missus keep me going and make it worth while but there will become a point where enough is enough and something will give.

Until then I have no choice but to keep going..........

• Upvote 7

I work for a large multinational in Ireland and have done for nearly 20 years (since leaving college). had various roles in that time and moving up the wage scale as time went on.

In those 20 years life has evolved and I now have a missus and 2 kids (one with special needs). The wife had to leave her job so she now looks after the kids meaning we are single income household. I live in Dublin which is one pricey fucking city to be in but fuck it - it is what it is and I cant change it.

From a work life balance persepctive the job is not too bad. Its Sales so I can work from home when I want and I get out and about. It helps with giving the missus a dig out at home when needs be.

The major problem is that I need to earn high wages just to survive (80k plus) to provide for all 4 mouths. In order to achieve that I have to take the shite that comes with the territory - high stress, long hours, weekend emails, office politics etc. I don't want to move up the ladder to better paid jobs, I just want to provide and pay the bloody bills. But I am getting to the stage that I hate my job.

Have often thought about jacking it in for a less stressful job and take the hit on the money. However waking up in the middle of the night worrying about paying bills is something far more terrifying so I put up with the status quo. Its too big a risk to take considering all the above.

For now its grin and bear. The kids and the missus keep me going and make it worth while but there will become a point where enough is enough and something will give.

you sir, are a warrior. good luck and all the best to you all.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

Need a bit of advice on this.

My wife doesn't drive and since me and her moved in together two years ago I've been dropping her off at work and picking her up on my way home.

It's proven quite knackering. I have to get up at 6am as she needs to be in work at half seven to get her work done (she's a teacher), but this means I'm in work an hour earlier with nothing to do. When I get out too I usually have to loiter around for half an hour outside her work and wait for her as she doesn't get out until quarter to six.

So instead of doing a nine five I'm basically doing an 8-6 every day. I really noticed the difference at how much less tired and stressed I was when she was off school and I could just look after my own commute. Having to be somewhere for someone 'on the clock' constantly is actually quite stressful I find.

I recently changed jobs to one I'm much happier in and thought it wouldn't feel as much of a grind but it does.

She's offered to get lifts in and home with colleagues but one in particular leaves at stupid o'clock, think she gets in for 7am. Plus, I just feel a bit shit about it. She's me Mrs and I've got a car. I've tried to convince her to learn to drive (subtly) but she's having none of it. Thoughts?

My wife doesn't drive and since me and her moved in together two years ago I've been dropping her off at work and picking her up on my way home.

It's proven quite knackering. I have to get up at 6am as she needs to be in work at half seven to get her work done (she's a teacher), but this means I'm in work an hour earlier with nothing to do. When I get out too I usually have to loiter around for half an hour outside her work and wait for her as she doesn't get out until quarter to six.

So instead of doing a nine five I'm basically doing an 8-6 every day. I really noticed the difference at how much less tired and stressed I was when she was off school and I could just look after my own commute. Having to be somewhere for someone 'on the clock' constantly is actually quite stressful I find.

I recently changed jobs to one I'm much happier in and thought it wouldn't feel as much of a grind but it does.

She's offered to get lifts in and home with colleagues but one in particular leaves at stupid o'clock, think she gets in for 7am. Plus, I just feel a bit shit about it. She's me Mrs and I've got a car. I've tried to convince her to learn to drive (subtly) but she's having none of it. Thoughts?

Is public transport not an option for her?

Personally I wouldn't do that for anyone, I'd be racing home to get my feet up for an hour as well. Having said that my missus is always telling me I'm a selfish cunt.

I sympathise with you mate.

I look at that Fearnley-Whittingstall gadge and his River Cottage thing and think, "You've got it sorted pal."

Oh, to swing in my own hammock, in my own field, under a sleepy tree in the summer time, drinking home made scrumpy, eating home made dandelion soup, surrounded by willing crumpet.

Is public transport not an option for her?

Personally I wouldn't do that for anyone, I'd be racing home to get my feet up for an hour as well. Having said that my missus is always telling me I'm a selfish cunt.

Bit shit to be honest plus she has a case of books to carry every day.
  • Upvote 1

She needs to learn to drive to heaven's sake Mark. 

Bit shit to be honest plus she has a case of books to carry every day.

Any chance you could do compressed hours at your place of work, say 5 days in 4 or 4.5? You'd still have longer days but would get a day/half a day to yourself to compensate? And the missus would only need to sort alternative transport out one day a week?

Any chance you could do compressed hours at your place of work, say 5 days in 4 or 4.5? You'd still have longer days but would get a day/half a day to yourself to compensate? And the missus would only need to sort alternative transport out one day a week?

I did that at my last one, I used to get home at quarter past four but then have to leave again to pick her up at half five. Was actually pretty shit as you can't relax and end up clock watching.

I did that at my last one, I used to get home at quarter past four but then have to leave again to pick her up at half five. Was actually pretty shit as you can't relax and end up clock watching.

No I mean the other way round I think, you'd actually work 8-6 four days so you'd pick her up on your way home?

Can confirm that Dublin is a ridiculously expensive city.

Forget about getting on the rental ladder, you'd be better off trying to climb a teflon ladder smeared with grease.

I sympathise with you mate.

I look at that Fearnley-Whittingstall gadge and his River Cottage thing and think, "You've got it sorted pal."

Oh, to swing in my own hammock, in my own field, under a sleepy tree in the summer time, drinking home made scrumpy, eating home made dandelion soup, surrounded by willing crumpet.

I have a lad working for us on bank who was previously a chef for him in Devon. He left as he was on minimum wage despite knowing how much people were being charged to come to the cookery school.

I'm only going by second hand information but George reckons he's a massive tory cunt who doesn't think twice about paying minimum wage and having loads of young people 'volunteer' there.