You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

I'm going to brush up on the old CAD skills over the next 12 months, whilst picking up knowledge for project managing schemes after a 6 year break and then go and work for myself. I've had enough of being restructured, this is the 5th time I've had to either change what I do or where I work in the last 10 years and don't really want to be doing the same again a year or 2 down the line.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and blizzard day here...town is shut down and I am getting paid.

Just scarfed some chicken nachos. Told the dog no walk. May have a nap later.

What did the dog say when you told him?

Where do you live mate, no offence intended but I am never sure whether you're joking or actually live in the Alaskan wilderness.

I am now a civil servant in Bootle. The hours aren't great but it's the happiest I've been in a job in years simply because there isn't relentless pressure nor any of the worrying about my position in relation to office politics. The people I've met here are class too which makes all the difference.

Lurtz, go for the bar lad. Life. Short. Too. Etc.

• Upvote 3

Made my mind up last night, I'll be leaving. I've got a 121 tomorrow in which I think they're expecting me to stake my claim to one of the available positions. Knowing how this place works I'll be frog marched out of the building when I tell them I want the redundancy package. A bit of a shabby end to a 15 year career as an analyst but I feel it's like a weight off my shoulders. I'm sat here looking around and there are people in full suits and ties. These aren't customer facing people, and it's not standard dress code here to wear a tie. I don't want to work with someone who actually wants to wear a tie to work.

Fuck. Them.

I think it can be easy to become myopic when you're busily working away for a large corporation. It can take over your life and suck out the confidence which would otherwise naturally kick in and make you seek out more gainful employment. I've only been in this role for 4 years but it seems like 5 minutes. Easy to see how people talk themselves into wasting their lives at a computer screen, playing their part in creating wealth for the shareholders and our CEO who stands to rake in a bonus of around £2.5m in the next couple of years on top of his £850k basic.

Looking forward to getting my life back in the real world.

• Upvote 20

Made my mind up last night, I'll be leaving. I've got a 121 tomorrow in which I think they're expecting me to stake my claim to one of the available positions. Knowing how this place works I'll be frog marched out of the building when I tell them I want the redundancy package. A bit of a shabby end to a 15 year career as an analyst but I feel it's like a weight off my shoulders. I'm sat here looking around and there are people in full suits and ties. These aren't customer facing people, and it's not standard dress code here to wear a tie. I don't want to work with someone who actually wants to wear a tie to work.

Fuck. Them.

I think it can be easy to become myopic when you're busily working away for a large corporation. It can take over your life and suck out the confidence which would otherwise naturally kick in and make you seek out more gainful employment. I've only been in this role for 4 years but it seems like 5 minutes. Easy to see how people talk themselves into wasting their lives at a computer screen, playing their part in creating wealth for the shareholders and our CEO who stands to rake in a bonus of around £2.5m in the next couple of years on top of his £850k basic.

Looking forward to getting my life back in the real world.

Like you say, it is often so much easier and less risky to keep on ploughing the same furrow even while knowing it is slowly killing you, in reality or metaphorically. You have been given a chance here to do something different, that you can say is really yours. Ultimately, it may not work out but it may turn out to be the best thing you ever did. Or anywhere in between. Don't look back and regret not giving it a go, though.

I am sure that there will be a good few of those who have read/repped you there who would love the opportunity to do what you are about to do or who wish they had the freedom/the guts to follow their own dream. I know the safety of a regular income is a massive break on so many ideas but, fuck it, Lurtz, what else are you going to miss from what you have described above?

Go for it, mister

• Upvote 2

I find the question to ask yourself in these situations is similar to the interview wankers "where do you see yourself....etc". What would the 53 year old Lurtz say in 5 years time looking back? Most of us have been in jobs where the pay was ok and it was relatively secure. I now refer to those as the wasted years.

Fuckit Lurtz fair play to you. I remember when my mother was pissed with me when I broke up my ex and my reply was "this is my shot, you only get one". Go with your heart. You might end up poorer financially but you'll almost always be happier.

• Upvote 1