You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Orbison

Ezekiel 25:17

He had a concert movie in the late eighties called Black & White night or something like that.Its absolutely brilliant.Its a greatest hits set with some of his music buddies including Springsteen,Tom Waits & Elvis Costello.My old man used to always throw it on the Vhs when he came home with a few beers on board.Its well worth a look.

• 1 year later...
He had a concert movie in the late eighties called Black & White night or something like that.Its absolutely brilliant.Its a greatest hits set with some of his music buddies including Springsteen,Tom Waits & Elvis Costello.My old man used to always throw it on the Vhs when he came home with a few beers on board.Its well worth a look.

This is what's on later.

Guest San Don

And is fucking brilliant. Do not miss this, it is excellent.

Jesus, I remember hearing Pretty Woman for the first time back in the mid 60's. It was fucking ace then. The version they play in B&W with the rifts and stuff is just awesome.

The Big O and Friends, A Black And White Night is phenomenal. Remember we had it taped off the TV from when I was a kid. I was always bemused by it being in black and white, yet The Boss being there. The Boss wasn't around in the 60s when shit was black and white. Oh the mind of a slightly backwards child.

• 4 years later...

I utterly love Roy Orbison. The voice of an angel.

I've been listening to his solo stuff and with the Wilburys over the last few days and it's timeless.

In Dreams is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

One of my earliest memories is my Dad coming back from a day out a putting a vinyl LP on the table with a picture of this fella in sunglasses and a quiff and playing me the record, as a kid I did wonder what the image was all about, but as a teenager and since I've read alot about his life and music and seen what a life he had.

One of my all time musical heroes.

• Upvote 2

Didn't he write Claudette, The Everly Brother's classic hit? Was his wife's name I think.

And repped hard WW. Majestic voice. My dad's had his greatest hits on vinyl when I was a kid. Leah is one of the greatest songs ever recorded imo. My dad's cousin named his daughter after it.

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure there was a guy who won a soundalike competition years ago and he sung as Roy Orbison. He then went on to perform on a stage show as Roy Orbison that told his life story with his most famous songs being sung by this guy as a soundtrack to the story. He had a seriously tragic life, basically losing his entire family one-by-one to things like fires and road accidents. He lost both sons in a fire after his wife died in a bike accident when a car pulled out in front of them. I'm not sure if they were on the same bike or separate, but he survived the accident anyhow. Unbelievably sad.

The guy who played him sung very well but obviously not as good as the Big O himself.

Costello wrote a great song for him called The Comedians - it was on the Black And White Night programme.

Aye. It's probably my favourite piece from that whole show. Didn't he have it out himself first but rewrote it (or a section of it for the concert)? Anyways it's a brilliant track that suited Roy's voice perfectly.

"A candy coloured clown they call the sandman, tiptoes to my room every night... just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper... go to sleep, it'll be alright".

I have visions of Savile playing this his victimes just before he fixed it for them.

Love Big O by the way,  Always slip a few of his songs onto any playlist I'm doing.

Guest Pistonbroke

Only the Lonely is a great song

My favourite of his, done it on stage a few times myself. Obviously nowhere near doing it full justice like, although I didn't get rotten fruit thrown at me.