You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Plot Thickens

bobhorse

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr T, there's nothing wild about that speculation at all.

Dave, are you saying that Rafa is backing Hicks? Or is it a marriage of conveinience (sp)? I could understand that he would want some straight talking, which he would get from Hicks, but Rafa backing Hicks complicitly?!

:wow::wow:

Could he vote for himself if it actually came down to it? That doesn't seem right, that you have a say in whether you keep your own job or not and that say is equally as important as your employers.

I know that you can't vote for yourself on "The Weakest Link", so I would assume that the same would be true here.

Yup, that sounds very belieavable, Mr T.

Dave, where do you stand on atk's belief that Rafa is some sort of snake interested about himself and himself only?

Rafa's self-interest is very apparent, but some are intimating that it's just to do with his own salary.

I think that's bollocks.

It's very obvious to most people that Benitez loves the club, the city and the fans, and everything he does is tempered with self-interest because Benitez loves being manager of Liverpool Football Club.

In addition to who attended the Klinsmann-meeting I'll bet Rafa wants to know if the stuff Bascombe wrote about transfer plans being passed on to Klinsmann is true.

That might be a curve ball thrown into the mix by Bascombe to stir up the Hicks and Benitez relationship; a little reminder that these men should not be trusted. Both Hicks' and Klinsmann's camps have denied it but I'd imagine it will snag at the back of Rafa's mind.

Rafa's self-interest is very apparent, but some are intimating that it's just to do with his own salary.

I think that's bollocks.

It's very obvious to most people that Benitez loves the club, the city and the fans, and everything he does is tempered with self-interest because Benitez loves being manager of Liverpool Football Club.

Agreed. Everybody has some level of self-interest. Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho are some of the most self-obsessed, self-interested men you will ever hear of.

Like you initimate, if Rafa didn't love it here, he'd have been gone a long time ago, safe in the knowledge he could command a handsome salary elsewhere.

Agreed. Everybody has some level of self-interest. Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho are some of the most self-obsessed, self-interested men you will ever hear of.

Like you initimate, if Rafa didn't love it here, he'd have been gone a long time ago, safe in the knowledge he could command a handsome salary elsewhere.

And look at Houllier. Another man who was deeply in love with all things Liverpool, but was essentially interested in keeping his own job, and was very unlikely to walk away, even if the signs that his time was up were there.

Obv Benitez isn't at that stage, but I was talking more about self-interest. It's perfectly natural.

Revealed: Tom Hicks's two meetings with Klinsmann over replacing Rafa Benitez

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks held two meetings with Jurgen Klinsmann with a view to the German replacing Rafael Benitez as manager, it emerged today

The first meeting was held in New York at which he was joined by co-owner George Gillett, chief executive Rick Parry and other members of the Liverpool board.

The second was held at Hicks’ holiday home in California during Thanksgiving weekend when Parry was not present.

Parry today said he was prepared to meet with Benitez to discuss his involvement in talks with Klinsmann.

The 53-year-old responded to Benitez’s demands yesterday afternoon for talks to clear the air about what went on at the meeting with Klinsmann last November with an offer to sit down with him at the earliest possible opportunity.

Though he has known about the meeting with Klinsmann for several months, Benitez insisted he was surprised by revelations that Parry was also present.

The Spaniard was already aware that Hicks and co-owner George Gillett had met with the German in November to discuss the possibility of him replacing Benitez as manager at Anfield.

But Benitez has admitted to friends he was shocked to see revelations from Hicks in the national media that Parry was present at that meeting and is now demanding answers.

Parry today responded to the latest crisis by telling the ECHO: “I am more than happy to sit down and talk to Rafa about this.”

Yesterday, Hicks revealed: “When the Klinsmann story broke, I didn’t hear Rick Parry or George Gillett say that they were the ones that set up the Klinsmann meeting.

“Rick [Parry], George and Foster Gillett participated with my son, Tom Jr, and me. Rick allowed that controversy to build without taking any responsibility.”

At his post-match press conference yesterday, Benitez said: “It was a surprise to read about some meetings. I need to talk with the board and clarify the situation. I want to do that as soon as possible.

“I want to clarify everything. I was surprised with some meetings with other managers. I was surprised with the people that were at the meeting.

“I feel my position is being undermined by it. That is why I want to clarify the situation.

“I need to speak to all of the people. They were in a meeting together, so I need to know something more.

“I will ask some questions about the meeting.”

He added: “It’s not the first time I knew about the meeting but it was the first time I knew about the people that were in the meeting.

“I will not talk about any specific owner, I want to talk with everyone, preferably at the same time, to clarify the situation.

“It was a meeting with some people I did not know about. I need to resolve questions and I tell you I want some answers. I am really calm but I want some answers.”

Revealed: Tom Hicks's two meetings with Klinsmann over replacing Rafa Benitez - Liverpool Daily Post.co.uk

180px-Ming.gif

Hicks: George, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today?

Gillett: The most successful Football team in England, you mouthy bastard. The inhabitants refer to it as Liverpool Football Club

Hicks: How peaceful it looks

Hicks: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Hicks: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Gillett: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, most effective you Texan twat. Will you destroy this.... Football Club?

Hicks: Later. I like to play with things a while... before annihilation

Hicks: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I think that, more than ever, if you want to have a say, whatever your opinion, now is the time to get behind Spirit of Shankly.

The more support they have, the more support YOU will have, and the louder the voice will be.

And trust me, "they" are listening

Fuck Apathy, Support the Union, Make a difference

Dave, are you saying that Rafa is backing Hicks? Or is it a marriage of conveinience (sp)?

Parry and Gillett want him out. Hicks wants him to stay. So who is he going to allign himself with?

Is it a marriage of convenience? I'd imagine so.

I totally disagree with atk's stance on Rafa, and I've told him so. That's not to say there isn't some truth in what he's saying. Rafa is in Hicks' camp, and he is showing a level of self interest in his actions. My view on it is that he's been forced to take a side, and seeing as Hicks is the only one who wants him to stay then that made his mind up for him.

I agree with Dirk and Silverlining's comments about self interest. Of course he's looking after himself, but no doubt he thinks it's in the club's best interests for him to stay in charge, so in a way he's also acting in what he thinks are our interests as well.

Parry and Gillett want him out. Hicks wants him to stay. So who is he going to allign himself with?

Is it a marriage of convenience? I'd imagine so.

I totally disagree with atk's stance on Rafa, and I've told him so. That's not to say there isn't some truth in what he's saying. Rafa is in Hicks' camp, and he is showing a level of self interest in his actions. My view on it is that he's been forced to take a side, and seeing as Hicks is the only one who wants him to stay then that made his mind up for him.

I agree with Dirk and Silverlining's comments about self interest. Of course he's looking after himself, but no doubt he thinks it's in the club's best interests for him to stay in charge, so in a way he's also acting in what he thinks are our interests as well.

I would agree with Rafa staying here. Its not good to get rid of a manager every 4-5 years, even if there hasn't been the improvement that all parties want. I think he's done well this season, in the league, apart from the draws. I only hope we have single owner before the beginning of next season, preferably DIC, has they have the wealth and power to sort out our long term problems.

Why would Rafa side with anyone who wanted him out. This isn't someone who has fucked up and deserves the boot. This is a successful manager who is in the middle of creating something. Of course he isn't going to side with the people who want shot of him for no good reason. God knows what else is going on behind the scenes but Rafa still gets my full backing and Parry can get to fuck.

Correct Jim, Rafa also has my full 100% backing. No matter what happens, I want this man in charge of our club. He is the only one, out of every last one of them involved in this debacle, who has operated with our best interest at heart. And despite what has come against him throughout this period, he brings us to the gates of glory again.

I think that's bollocks.

Totally agree

So just to be clear we are comfortable with...

1. Rafa in the Hicks camp

2. Rafa showing self interest

3. Rafa making comments in the media (again)

Just wondering and all that.. and like etc...

Manager of football club speaks to press in press conference shocker.