You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dudek in World Soccer

Good interview with Jerzy in the latest World Soccer. He talks a bit about Istanbul - naturally - describing his double save from Sheva and then Carra giving it "Listen, Jerzy, put them under pressure. Whatever you do, do something. Be crazy! Do you remember Grobbelaar?" (Apparently, Jerzy said that bit in a Scouse accent.)

He comes across as completely devoid of bitterness about being dropped to the bench after that Night of Nights. He says he was a bit angry at Benitez for not letting him leave, but he understands Rafa's reasons. (He reckons Reina needed not just a good back-up keeper, but a good foreign one, to avoid any press hype and pressure about England's next keeper being kept out by a Spaniard. Jerzy reckons he went through this with Kirkland and he reckons that's why Carson has been out on loan.)

Dudek admits he wants to get into coaching someday and that's why he went to Madrid - just for the experience. He then goes on to say nice things about his managers - Beenhaker, Schuster, Houllier (who created a family atmosphere, where everyone is treated with equal respect) and Benitez ("Tactically, he was the best." According to Dudek, Rafa also goes to pains to make sure everybody understands why they have to do the things they are asked to do).

He ends by saying "The key is to take the best qualities from all those coaches but to build your own identity as a manager. I am trying to learn from them all: its a great education."

I don't think I'm alone in wishing you all the best with that, Jerzy!

From Jerzy's website:

A week ago I ordered a plane with the inscription: "Jerzy Dudek thanks LFC family for support!", which was supposed to fly over the stadium during the league game Liverpool-Charlton. Unfortunately, my efforts were in vain: it was raining and the flight was cancelled.

However, it was just a delay. Today there is no hindrances and the flight is taking place. It is planned for 1pm. I think the inscription will be clearly visible, because the weather is fine.

We have a day-off today, so I will try to tape everything!

Link

Dudek is an authentically nice guy. Not the bitter type. Try this:

Jerzy Dudek | Small talk | guardian.co.uk Sport

Apparently, Pope John Paul II - another Polish goalkeeper - was a big fan of yours. Did you ever get to meet him?

Goalkeepers never win the Player of the Year award but I did when I was in Holland and they were looking for a way of surprising me with the presentation of the award and they surprised me with a letter from Jan Pawel II. The letter congratulated me and reminded me that my mission was not just about football - that there is something else beyond that too. Then I met him when Poland played against Italy. They only invited two players and 10 officials from the FA! The president of the Polish FA gave me the shirt to present to the Pope, with "Jan Pawel II, No1" on the back, and I completely lost it. I lost it, I really did. I was so emotional, I didn't know what to do.

What did he say?

I didn't expect anything from him. People were saying that he was ill, that he was coming to the end of his mission and I was surprised by his condition because it was not as bad as they said. For the first half hour he could read normally. I gave him the shirt and told him that he will always be No1 in our hearts and that the shirt was a small symbol, to express what he means to us. I don't really remember what he said, because it was so, so ... it was so big! I had never got that emotional before the biggest games of my life. When I came to play in Europe, people didn't understand why we Poles are so crazy about the Pope. He talked to the Poles like a member of the family, there was a very emotional contact between him and the rest of the people.

As well as a religious side, there must be patriotic reasons for that ...

We had a very bad time in the 1980s when we were fighting against the Communists and he was on our side, but in a very clever way. He did it. Jan Pavel II helped us to win. And I think the devotion towards him starts there. His role wasn't just religious, it was social and political too. He knew the right moment to intervene, to say 'stop' to generals, to the régime. He knew when to say 'listen, we are just normal people, all from the same country'. He was just so intelligent. I was reading his autobiography and it's clear he was special from the beginning to the end. I said to my friend: 'God sent the guy, the Pope, to show us how Jesus was.' The new Pope is also important but Jan Pawel lived on our street.

That's beautiful man.

Sounds like nonsense to me but the guy is still a top deck bloke. Gotta love players that leave and still show the club a lot of love. Him and Luis are two in particular that will always stand out.

But he really means that nonsense. Feels it in fact.

Incidentally, I went to see Portishead at the Apollo on Wednesday.

Utterly, utterly immense. I just can't find the words...

But he really means that nonsense. Feels it in fact.

Incidentally, I went to see Portishead at the Apollo on Wednesday.

Utterly, utterly immense. I just can't find the words...

They are on Jools on Tuesday for this new completely live format they are doing, it should be ace. Beth Gibbons voice makes my pee-pee go hard, this I cannot deny.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll be one of the support acts for Radiohead this summer.

Silence fool. I'm kicking back to a bit of Counting Crows as I type, that's something you can dig is it not?

Certainly is matey, check t'other thread etc...

They're playing the new Echo Arena this summer - our kid has a ticket and i'm tempted also.

They are on Jools on Tuesday for this new completely live format they are doing, it should be ace. Beth Gibbons voice makes my pee-pee go hard, this I cannot deny.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll be one of the support acts for Radiohead this summer.

Blatant thread hijack

They were absolutely fucking stunning. I've wanted to see them for over 15 years and had obviously already accepted that no gig could ever match up to that level of expectation. They actually surpassed it by an order of magnitude.

There's clips a plenty on youtube, but they're all on mobile phone and tinny as fuck, whereas the quality of the production was actually at least as good as their studio stuff.

I'm assuming that like myself, you've acquired an early download of the new album (although I think it's out on Monday?) I shall be buying it immediately - it's the dogs bollocks, most definitely not the lazy regurgitation that I think many people will expect.

Err Jerzy. Yay!

Blatant thread hijack

They were absolutely fucking stunning. I've wanted to see them for over 15 years and had obviously already accepted that no gig could ever match up to that level of expectation. They actually surpassed it by an order of magnitude.

There's clips a plenty on youtube, but they're all on mobile phone and tinny as fuck, whereas the quality of the production was actually at least as good as their studio stuff.

I'm assuming that like myself, you've acquired an early download of the new album (although I think it's out on Monday?) I shall be buying it immediately - it's the dogs bollocks, most definitely not the lazy regurgitation that I think many people will expect.

Err Jerzy. Yay!

Aye, I got a copy of it a while back and there are some moments of real brilliance on it. There are some bits that I'm still not sure of but most of the albums I really love I've taken a while to really get into fully. One of my favourite bits is the end of machine gun when that post-apocalyptic, Terminator 2 shit kicks in.

GF roams where it wants; it answers to nobody.

Machine Gun, Silence and We Carry On all stand out for me but I'm blown away by all of it to be honest. It took about five listens for me, then I just sat bolt upright in my chair and thought "Yep, I'm having this now."