You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Crouch

Rashid

Anyone know why we didn't sell and Sissoko last summer? We probably lost out a combined £10m by holding onto them for no reason at all. We were mad not to sell while their stocks were high. We took a loss on Sissoko and with Crouch having one year left, I guess he will go for about £5m. Bad business on our part I think.

A one legged Voronin gets on the pitch ahead if him, it was pointless keeping him I think.

voronin is shit, and crouch is a much better player but with a combination of arsenal defening high up the pitch crouch having no pace to speak of and voronin being somewhat quicker then tactically its not the worst idea.

That's why rafa is our manager and you are a poster on an internet forum.

We sold Sissoko for a proft but Rafa couldnt risk Lucas not settling and not knowing if he could sign Mascherano on a permanent deal.

For me Crouch should have been sold in the summer.

Agree with that Coop. Crouch is out, no doubt about it. Shame, I love the big fella.

Guest TK-421

He's not very well suited to the way we're playing anymore. He's not quick enough to play in the Torres sole striker role, and won't offer much either side of Gerrard in the three behind as we saw at Reading. He's still a useful option to have on the bench and a good player but it's hard to see where he'll fit in if we keep playing this formation. If Torres gets injured it would be a different story and he would have to feature again more often.

We sold Sissoko for a proft but Rafa couldnt risk Lucas not settling and not knowing if he could sign Mascherano on a permanent deal.

For me Crouch should have been sold in the summer.

In the same breath though, Coop. Noone could have forseen the impact Torres has had. Maybe the scenario you're applying to Momo-Lucas was the same with Crouch-Torres?

In the same breath though, Coop. Noone could have forseen the impact Torres has had. Maybe the scenario you're applying to Momo-Lucas was the same with Crouch-Torres?

I thought about that and that no doubt crossed Rafas mind but you would have thought that Rafa would have sold Crouch in January if that was the case like he did with Momo.

I think you have to give credit to Crouch because in a recent interview he has said how he wants to stay at Liverpool and fight for his place which is a credit to the lad as he could quite easily have had a go at Rafa.

I think Rafa is happy with this formation and obviously feels his lone striker must have pace which is why i think Voronin and Crouch will be gone in the summer and in all fairness i would have said Kuyt a couple of months ago but since going to our current formation Kuyt has shown in worth in more then one position.

He's not very well suited to the way we're playing anymore. He's not quick enough to play in the Torres sole striker role, and won't offer much either side of Gerrard in the three behind as we saw at Reading. He's still a useful option to have on the bench and a good player but it's hard to see where he'll fit in if we keep playing this formation. If Torres gets injured it would be a different story and he would have to feature again more often.

Hang on. He is 10% of a Torres but Crouch was superb playing with Gerrard two seasons ago wasn't he? I don't really rate him as everyone knows but keeping him as humiliated the player and made the club lose money IMO.

It has been reported that Crouch may buy his contract out, and in the games where he did start like Havent he looked like he couldn't be bothered. In the current formation theres no use for him unless we're behind which hasn't happened much recently.

Playing only 1 game a week theres no reason to rest Torres and so theres no other position for Crouch to play, he'll probably play against Arsenal in the league game.

But its obvious hes on the way out, he wont sign a new contract and when he did start games around christmas time his attitude was poor. and in the current formation we need someone with pace to play that lone striker role.

This thing about Crouch's attitude is bollocks. Every interview the man does (including one with Gary Richardson last Sunday) he emphasises how much he wants to stay at Liverpool. He's a gracious, good humoured, polite man. He was bought for a different formation; before Benitez happened upon the one that worked relatively well over the last few months.

If we'd sold Crouch, we'd have had one forward who was at the club last year. Nobody knew Torres would settle so well, I'm sure Rafa thought Crouch would play a lot more.

As for not coming on tonight, we needed someone to close down their defenders, Crouch isn't really going to unsettle them, as much as he works, he's not quick.

I do feel sorry for him though, he'll be off to Pompey in the summer I reckon.

Crouch was being treated shabbily for a long time before we stumbled upon this excellent new system in January. His treatment by Rafa is one of the biggest mysteries of his tenure. He bought a highly controversial player, stuck with him for 19 games when he wasn't scoring, reaped the rewards as our away form, ball retention and ability to get Gerrard into scoring positions all improved and then he signed Dirk and turned Crouch into a bit part player. Crouch continued to play well and score when called upon and yet he still didn't get the key role he'd proved he could excel in in his first season. He should have been sold last summer.

Crouch was being treated shabbily for a long time before we stumbled upon this excellent new system in January. His treatment by Rafa is one of the biggest mysteries of his tenure. He bought a highly controversial player, stuck with him for 19 games when he wasn't scoring, reaped the rewards as our away form, ball retention and ability to get Gerrard into scoring positions all improved and then he signed Dirk and turned Crouch into a bit part player. Crouch continued to play well and score when called upon and yet he still didn't get the key role he'd proved he could excel in in his first season. He should have been sold last summer.

Spot on Paul. It is like when Crouch scored a hatrick against Arsenal and was dropped the next game, bizarre.