Jump to content
  • Sign up for free and receive a month's subscription

    You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Not impressed with The Acolyte so far. 
 

Even worse than Ahsoka so far. 

The Jedi are boring though.  The prequels tought us this.  Hopefully they start to show us things from the Sith POV.  Bad guys aways have more fun. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pete said:

The Jedi are boring though.  The prequels tought us this.  Hopefully they start to show us things from the Sith POV.  Bad guys aways have more fun. 

That's my hope too. I'm only up to the second episode but fell asleep mid way through last night.

 

Quantity over quality ever since Disney got their hands on it. Most of the TV series have been below average and although there will always be the meganerds who cherish anything Star Wars, they really need to branch off into more varied aspects of storytelling.

 

Having said that, I am looking forward to the rumoured Holiday Special reboot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s absolutely terrible.  Shades of the OA in the dancing lezza witches.  
 

There’s also a lot ‘borrowed’ from the Mark Lawrence books - could be coincidence of course but if I were him I’d be lawyering up. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have seen a few clips of the Jedi doing kung-fu. The fuck.

 

Yeah no martial arts in my Kurosawa inspired space opera.

 

Just kidding I haven't seen the third episode that seems to have riled everyone yet, but after the fire in space fiasco (something that has been a staple of Star Wars since the original trilogy) I've stayed away from most of the online discourse.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

 

Yeah no martial arts in my Kurosawa inspired space opera.

 

Just kidding I haven't seen the third episode that seems to have riled everyone yet, but after the fire in space fiasco (something that has been a staple of Star Wars since the original trilogy) I've stayed away from most of the online discourse.


In what way riled?

 

Like the first 2 episodes, it’s just not very good. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:


In what way riled?

 

Like the first 2 episodes, it’s just not very good. 

 

Dunno not seen it yet, I saw a brief clip of someone wailing about it shitting all over the prequels (that people previously hated) with a few 'if you liked this video you might be interested  in thumbnails with equally shouty titles.

 

Think theirs a section of the fan base that lives for the online outrage, the 'insert pop culture reference' has gone woke crowd.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am convinced Disney responds to criticism by doubling down. It's episode two before we get a white heterosexual man in the cast; he's in suspended animation, then he dies like a bitch. It seems they're now actively trying to annoy a section of their fanbase. I could forgive it if the end result was any good, but, well...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Scott_M said:


In what way riled?

 

Like the first 2 episodes, it’s just not very good. 

I think the all female coven and the twins 'immaculate conception' have irritated a few. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

I am convinced Disney responds to criticism by doubling down. It's episode two before we get a white heterosexual man in the cast; he's in suspended animation, then he dies like a bitch. It seems they're now actively trying to annoy a section of their fanbase. I could forgive it if the end result was any good, but, well...


Ha, it is literally this parody…

 

50E40C39-0005-4858-AA4E-E98579709D4E.gif

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

I am convinced Disney responds to criticism by doubling down. It's episode two before we get a white heterosexual man in the cast; he's in suspended animation, then he dies like a bitch. It seems they're now actively trying to annoy a section of their fanbase. I could forgive it if the end result was any good, but, well...

 

The problem with a lot of these shows is the characters may be female but they're also overpowered and usually pretty bland. 

 

We rewatched the X Files recently and Scully is every bit the equal of Maulder but in a realistic way. She doesn't beat the shit out of people she uses her brains and she's still pretty fearless. If the X Files was made now she'd be able to do kung fu and would regularly rescue Maulder from the shit because he's a bloke. She'd write the themetune, and sing the themetune. And she'd definitely be a lesbian (just because). 

 

The wholesale character assassination to depict 'nerds' as misogynistic and racist is just a smoke and mirrors trick to make up for the fact these people can't write. 

 

In the early 90s nobody ever, ever had a problem with Ben Sisko as a black lead character on a Star Trek show, or as Janeway as a female captain. In 2024 they did have beef with Michael Burnham being captain of the discovery because she's shite - she cries in every episode and in every series she literally (literally) saves the universe single handed. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

The problem with a lot of these shows is the characters may be female but they're also overpowered and usually pretty bland. 

 

We rewatched the X Files recently and Scully is every bit the equal of Maulder but in a realistic way. She doesn't beat the shit out of people she uses her brains and she's still pretty fearless. If the X Files was made now she'd be able to do kung fu and would regularly rescue Maulder from the shit because he's a bloke. She'd write the themetune, and sing the themetune. And she's definitely be a lesbian. 

 

It's wholesale character assassination to depict 'nerds' as misogynistic and racist is just a smoke and mirrors trick to make up for the fact these people can't write. 

 

In the early 90s nobody ever, ever had a problem with Ben Sisko as a black lead character on a Star Trek show, or as Janeway as a female captain. They did have beef with Michael Burnham being captain of the discovery because she's shite - she cries in every episode and in every series she literally (literally) saves the universe single handed. 

You know.  I think it's time for an X Files rewatch.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Pete said:

You know.  I think it's time for an X Files rewatch.  

 

It's brilliant, forgot how good it was. Although we stopped at around the fifth season just cos other shit needed watching. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

 

The problem with a lot of these shows is the characters may be female but they're also overpowered and usually pretty bland. 

 

I don't think anybody has an issue with the characters gender, sexuality etc, people do have an issue with the shows & films simply not being very good. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s absolutely terrible.  Shades of the OA in the dancing lezza witches.  
 

There’s also a lot ‘borrowed’ from the Mark Lawrence books - could be coincidence of course but if I were him I’d be lawyering up. 

 

Im not sure if this is Star Wars related but you have my interest  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The problem with a lot of these shows is the characters may be female but they're also overpowered and usually pretty bland. 

 

Whisper it but, excluding the female bit, isn't that Luke?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

 

Whisper it but, excluding the female bit, isn't that Luke?

 

 

 

Are you kidding? 

 

New Hope: Nearly gets beaten up in a bar, gets clobbered by the sand people, nearly gets eaten in the trash compactor 

Empire Strikes Back: Nearly gets eaten by the snow creature. Escapes then passes out and is rescued by Han. Gets his ship rescued by Yoda, gets absolutely trounced by Vader and his hand cut off. 

Return of the Jedi - saves friends, beats Vader but gets battered by the Emperor and saved by his dad.

 

Luke's is the perfect hero's journey, spotty kid to Jedi Knight over the course of three films (four years in real time).

 

By contrast.

 

In A Force Awakens alone.  

 

Rey fixes the Falcon, flies the Falcon, uses mind control powers to escape, rescues the blokes trying to rescue her (who're lost because they're blokes) beats Kylo Ren in a sword fight.

 

By the last one she's destroying Tie Fighters with summersaults and destroying airborne transports with force lightning.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s absolutely terrible.  Shades of the OA in the dancing lezza witches.  
 

There’s also a lot ‘borrowed’ from the Mark Lawrence books - could be coincidence of course but if I were him I’d be lawyering up. 


Nah, The Witches of Dathomir have been doing it in the Expanded Universe for quite a while. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:


Nah, The Witches of Dathomir have been doing it in the Expanded Universe for quite a while. 

 

I’m not disputing that, but the dancing bit looked like the dancing in the OA. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That whole "I created them" line utterly destroys Star Wars lore.

 

The twins are now made by immaculate conception. Until now, Anakin was the only one who was born that way. It took everything away from that character's uniqueness.

 

That might be why the 'nerds' aren't happy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The show is awful, and while I hate to be part of a group that are basically ultra conservative fundamentalists they are right about this.

That said I will never understand non binary and society's reaction to this form of narcissism.

And that is coming up in the next episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...