You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good points Section, especially with the mention of the Heros Journey. I quote from Vogler's 'The Writers Journey':

"The functions of the parts were simple, clear, and vivid. It entered common language of pop culture, providing useful metaphors, symbols and phrases that expressed how we felt about good and evil, technology and faith."

You can't say that about the first three which were just a car crash of CGI.

And this finishes off the Star Wars chapter of the book:

"Now word comes that 20th Century fox will distribute the next installment...... It will be interesting to see how these primal, youthful events are presented from Lucas' vantage point as a mature artist .......and it's an exciting future, in which the the rhythms, poetic connections, and psychological insight of the Heros Journey will continue to unfold, guiding us through the labyrinths of unknown worlds and giving meaning to our new lives."

It's amazing really, the first Star Wars is probably the most perfect example of structure you'll ever find, all the character ingrediants are there - naive hero, reluctant call to adventure, the wise old sage, the love interest, the villain, the villain's number 2 or puppet master. (note my description could be the same for Karate Kid, Rocky, Tron, pretty much any film you can think of) except virtually any of the star wars prequals. It simply had no hero, nobody to root for.

Then on top of that, you had the worst dialogue in recorded history, and throw-away lines included on a whim such as 'our power to use the force has diminished' (something never once explained or made an issue of) and the coup de gras - "The boy is dangerous master" one sentence which basically undoes the ENTIRE point of the trilogy, the idea that Vader was essentially a good man who fell from grace.

Anakin was basically a fucked up arsehole from word go, a brat, and thick as shit.

This is how Luke fell, that's how you do it - there's more to this shit than putting your hood up and killing kids.

[YOUTUBE]phqzx7dVWwY[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Episode VII coming 2015 after Disney but LucasFilm for $4 billion. Scenes.

"Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Yeah yeah you grubby little cunt, never a truer word spoken though, the further he is away from it the better.

This could be quality.

"Lucas said in a statement' date=' "It's now time for me to pass `Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

Yeah yeah you grubby little cunt, never a truer word spoken though, the further he is away from it the better.

This could be quality.[/quote']

This could be quality, or it could be a total shambles. We shall see...

This could be quality, or it could be a total shambles. We shall see...

The Pixar films aren't my bag but they're beautifully written, Disney know that you make money by delivering quality - Lucas was just wasn't arsed. It's impossible to write a worse film than The Phantom Menace, physically impossible.

The Pixar films aren't my bag but they're beautifully written' date=' Disney know that you make money by delivering quality - Lucas was just wasn't arsed. It's impossible to write a worse film than The Phantom Menace, physically impossible.[/quote']

Attack of the Clones was pretty piss poor as well.

Star Wars wasn't about violence, or gritty adult themes, so Disney will probably do it pretty well... PROBABLY... depends on the writing, actors, and directing. Lucas got it so very right for the original trilogy, and so very wrong in the 'new' trilogy.

My worry is that Disney will put out some more mediocre films with the Star Wars tag to try to make some quick bucks.

Attack of the Clones was pretty piss poor as well.

Star Wars wasn't about violence, or gritty adult themes, so Disney will probably do it pretty well... PROBABLY... depends on the writing, actors, and directing. Lucas got it so very right for the original trilogy, and so very wrong in the 'new' trilogy.

My worry is that Disney will put out some more mediocre films with the Star Wars tag to try to make some quick bucks.

I honestly don't think they will, it's not their m.o I don't think.

The prequels are some of the worst films I've ever seen, just absolutely dire.

I honestly don't think they will, it's not their m.o I don't think.

You say that like the Pirates of the Caribbean films and John Carter don't exist. Difference between the two is Pirates made money and John Carter didn't. John Carter being a sci-fi movie was toned by the marketing department as they didn't think it would track well.

If Disney are smart they'll go to another of their properties for inspiration; Marvel. That's how you make crowd pleasing, clever movies (for blockbusters) that rake in cash. If they're stupid they'll end up with a Battleship or John Carter, the only difference is that the films will be gash but people will always pay to see Star Wars.

You say that like the Pirates of the Caribbean films and John Carter don't exist. Difference between the two is Pirates made money and John Carter didn't. John Carter being a sci-fi movie was toned by the marketing department as they didn't think it would track well.

If Disney are smart they'll go to another of their properties for inspiration; Marvel. That's how you make crowd pleasing, clever movies (for blockbusters) that rake in cash. If they're stupid they'll end up with a Battleship or John Carter, the only difference is that the films will be gash but people will always pay to see Star Wars.

In fairness Curse Of The Black Pearl is a great film. What followed was bloody awful, but driven by money rather than love.

John Carter was always going to be a disaster because most 200m dollar B movies run that risk when there's a perfect storm of fuck ups in charge. The source material was unknown to the public and MT Rainey tried to apply proper marketing skills to a category that she knew precisely fuck all about; the director knew nothing about how to make a film with actual people in it, or that reshoots didn't mean just redrawing some computer animation; nobody took charge or knew how to promote it.

It was the least surprising flop since Ishtar