You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm sure Lucas will be rubbing his hands at the prospect.

Of course.

I imagine its on his To-Do List:

#45: Rinse the general public with a 15th Special Edition (Goddamn they will like my special effects)

#46: Release Special Editions on Blu-Ray....mwahahahaha

#2000: sigh, ok, release those shitty theatrical editions on Blu-Ray. At a huge markup.

Of course.

I imagine its on his To-Do List:

#45: Rinse the general public with a 15th Special Edition (Goddamn they will like my special effects)

#46: Release Special Editions on Blu-Ray....mwahahahaha

#2000: sigh, ok, release those shitty theatrical editions on Blu-Ray. At a huge markup.

#2001: shave stupid fucking beard off

• 1 year later...

bump.

saw these online reviews of the phantom menace.

despite the droning narrative, i really enjoyed them (there are seven in total)...pretty much articulates my feelings about the later films and george lucas in particular.

"A special effect is a tool, a means of telling a story. A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing" - george lucas

[YOUTUBE]FxKtZmQgxrI[/YOUTUBE]

My mate was telling me about these reviews only last night strangely enough, apparently he rips into the Star Trek Next Gen films too, will deffo check them out.

I've got a Tie Pilot figure on my desk in work which I bought on the market for £2.50, original one too - quality.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest The Big Green Bastard

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701NiTGsvHA&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701NiTGsvHA&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...
I should hope you nerds have seen this by now?

Good stuff.

He's technically not a Jedi yet though as Yoda makes it explicitly clear that he must confront Vader and only then a Jedi will he be.

Luke falls to the Dark Side briefly anyway, people need to know that, when he takes Vader's hand he's technically a dark jedi and has to bury it deep inside for the rest of his life - but it's always there.

Fucking love it. The originals were the Marilyn Monroe to the prequels' Jordan.

I was left home alone by the girlfriend at the weekend. As she's no interest whatsoever watching Star Wars (and belive me, I've suggested it on many occasions over the years so she can see what the fuss is about) I decided to work my way through the Original Trilogy boxset over Saturday and Sunday, after not seeing them in around 6-7 years.

Tell you what, getting up on Sunday morning and watching Empire with a cup of tea and some toast was a real treat.

It was like sitting down with an old friend, but as I'm older and more cynical found myself getting more fed up with every Special Edition scene that went on.

Going to invest in the DVD's of the original theatrical versions as a result, the versions I used to sit and watch on VHS as a boy.

My kids have only seen the original versions. They don't have the reference to distinguish between the prequels and the originals, but they prefer the originals. I don't mind the prequels too much but I have to turn off my cynical side.

I think a bit of a myth has arisen that the prequels are just poor in comparison to the greatness of the originals, but in actually fact as stand alone films they're some of the worst films ever made, awful, awful scripts bereft of even the very basics of three-act storytelling and the hero's journey, the seeds of drama which virtually every story from soap operas to films contain. I can only conclude that Lucas is so arrogant he felt he could just put pen to paper and not even be arsed with basics such as 'who is the hero?'

Maybe he just couldn't be arsed? I was in Forbidden Planet on Saturday looking at the Star Wars stuff, it's all overpriced and absolute shite, the quality is 200% inferior to the original figures and toys. Lucas is capitalism's cautionary tale. Did you know you can't even create Facebook fan pages for his characters because they're all patented? On fucking Facebook. I hate him.

Good points Section, especially with the mention of the Heros Journey. I quote from Vogler's 'The Writers Journey':

"The functions of the parts were simple, clear, and vivid. It entered common language of pop culture, providing useful metaphors, symbols and phrases that expressed how we felt about good and evil, technology and faith."

You can't say that about the first three which were just a car crash of CGI.

And this finishes off the Star Wars chapter of the book:

"Now word comes that 20th Century fox will distribute the next installment...... It will be interesting to see how these primal, youthful events are presented from Lucas' vantage point as a mature artist .......and it's an exciting future, in which the the rhythms, poetic connections, and psychological insight of the Heros Journey will continue to unfold, guiding us through the labyrinths of unknown worlds and giving meaning to our new lives."

You mugs should not be lining George Lucas' pockets any further. That cunt has shat upon the very work that made him rich and that which made you all pathetic nerds. And he continues to suck you dry by releasing his shit movies and cartoons which you spotty virgins lap up. Learn the lesson from Star Wars. It's cool to be a rebel. Rebel against Lucas and his Empire by downloading his shit for free.

I think a bit of a myth has arisen that the prequels are just poor in comparison to the greatness of the originals, but in actually fact as stand alone films they're some of the worst films ever made, awful, awful scripts bereft of even the very basics of three-act storytelling and the hero's journey, the seeds of drama which virtually every story from soap operas to films contain. I can only conclude that Lucas is so arrogant he felt he could just put pen to paper and not even be arsed with basics such as 'who is the hero?'

Maybe he just couldn't be arsed? I was in Forbidden Planet on Saturday looking at the Star Wars stuff, it's all overpriced and absolute shite, the quality is 200% inferior to the original figures and toys. Lucas is capitalism's cautionary tale. Did you know you can't even create Facebook fan pages for his characters because they're all patented? On fucking Facebook. I hate him.

All valid points. I do have a very high threshold for shit films however. For example i laughed heartily at Old Dogs with John travolta and Robin Williams, which sucks.