You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So we got a Rebels re-hash but it was Ashoka v Vader instead of Obi Wan v Maul.

It's a series where most of the parts are good in isolation but it absolutely didn't need to be made, doesn't add anything to the story but creates lot's of unnecessary contrivances to wedge it into cannon.

The Reva story was completely pointless, she's spent year killing innocent people (including children) just to get close to Vader, botched an attempt to kill him and get's a sudden bout of conscience because if you kill Luke you kinda fuck up Star Wars.

Obi Wan then let's her go so she's now running around knowing Luke is on Tatooine.

• Upvote 1

Loads to like, loads to really dislike. 

Enjoyed the battles and the Rebels re-hash. And quite a powerful scene in Kenobi’s arc. 

The Reva character was played very well, however she was written terribly. 

I thought they landed the ending pretty well considering and tied up ambiguous stuff from A New Hope. 

10/10 for nostalgia.

3/10 for the writing. Apparently the fella who wrote it hadn’t even seen any of the prequels. 

10/10 to Disney for the absolute mis-selling of this as the Kenobi/Vader show and it being the Leia and Reva show instead. 

Overall, 6/10, just convinced me even more that they should leave legacy characters alone, or make a film and not a show for TV as I don’t the worlds carry across as well. 

I think you can do shows with legacy characters (though I'd rather they expanded) but you have to be bound by your own rules and not start writing contrived stories to get around it.

You want an Obi Wan show, then it's Kenobi pottering around on Tatooine for 20 years tussling with Tuskan raiders and bartering with Jawa's.

Vader gives you more scope because the rules around him are less defined so you could do a whole order 66 show with him and the inquisitors hunting down the remaining Jedi if you absolutely want to wring the remaining life out the originals.

6 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Loads to like, loads to really dislike. 

Enjoyed the battles and the Rebels re-hash. And quite a powerful scene in Kenobi’s arc. 

The Reva character was played very well, however she was written terribly. 

I thought they landed the ending pretty well considering and tied up ambiguous stuff from A New Hope. 

10/10 for nostalgia.

3/10 for the writing. Apparently the fella who wrote it hadn’t even seen any of the prequels. 

10/10 to Disney for the absolute mis-selling of this as the Kenobi/Vader show and it being the Leia and Reva show instead. 

Overall, 6/10, just convinced me even more that they should leave legacy characters alone, or make a film and not a show for TV as I don’t the worlds carry across as well. 

Classic Disney+ bait and switch. They've done it for practically everything recently

Im only just catching up as only recently got Disney+

Im enjoying The Mandalorian but its a bit repetitive- land on planet, go to bar, big fight, get told to go to another planet.

It also has slightly strange soft/comedy lines that dont quite fit. Enjoyable overall though.

Could never take to McGregor as Obi-Wan so not sure Ill watch that.  

8 hours ago, Dave D said:

Im only just catching up as only recently got Disney+

Im enjoying The Mandalorian but its a bit repetitive- land on planet, go to bar, big fight, get told to go to another planet.

It also has slightly strange soft/comedy lines that dont quite fit. Enjoyable overall though.

Could never take to McGregor as Obi-Wan so not sure Ill watch that.  

I love the Mandalorian myself, been watching it again. They've just mentioned Thrawn again and I did genuinely cum.

• Upvote 1

On 22/06/2022 at 20:19, Section_31 said:

I always struggle to 'get' Anakin/Vader as a character too. He just seems to be permanently fuming but for no specific reason. 

Evertonian.  And more so, as he can't have his blue lightsabre any more and has to use red.

• Upvote 1

Thought it was decent overall. 

Obviously hampered by the fact that we know everyone survived.

I was skeptical about vader being in it but he did drive it.

Thought the girl playing leia was excellent but that ending was rather anti climatic.

Just watched the last episode. Overall, enjoyed it. I suppose it was more about what made Leia what she is in A New Hope.

There was one clever line in there - “You didnt’t kill Anekin. I did.”  That feeds into Ben telling Luke that Vader killed his father in A New Hope.

Agree that it wasn’t a story that needed to be told, though.

An older Reeva to show up in The Mandalorian?

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed it. It was by no means perfect, but there were things to admire. The best thing I can say for it really is that it doesn't diminish the films that came before it, and in some ways enhances them. I liked that it fixed some of the holes in the original trilogy; Vader says he killed Anakin, just as Obi-Wan told Luke, and you learn why Obi-Wan calls him Darth, and why Leia doesn't mention that she knows Obi-Wan in her hologram message, and why Vader abandons his obsessive search for Obi-Wan.

It was good that the unfairly-maligned Hayden Christensen got to have another crack at playing Anakin, and that a few other actors who were criminally underused in the prequels got to flesh out their characters a bit. You get an appreciation for the lengths Owen and Beru went to to protect Luke, and it makes their demise in the original film that more tragic. Similarly, Alderaan is a lush, living planet, and its destruction actually means something now; it's not just a plot device.

It would be easy to punch holes in the plot, there's always a few bits in these things that stretch credibility, but why would you do that unless you're determined not to like it in the first place. The writers' hands are tied by the fact that most of these characters need to survive another decade or so. We all know that it doesn't make sense for Obi-Wan not to kill Vader in his weakend state, but the narrative can't allow it.

So yeah, It was fine. It passed some time pleasantly enough.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2022 at 07:35, TD_LFC said:

I think you can do shows with legacy characters (though I'd rather they expanded) but you have to be bound by your own rules and not start writing contrived stories to get around it.

You want an Obi Wan show, then it's Kenobi pottering around on Tatooine for 20 years tussling with Tuskan raiders and bartering with Jawa's.

Vader gives you more scope because the rules around him are less defined so you could do a whole order 66 show with him and the inquisitors hunting down the remaining Jedi if you absolutely want to wring the remaining life out the originals.

A Vader show based on some Legends adventures would be boss. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks boss that. Daft as it sounds, but Star Wars is better without aliens and too much force bollocks. Rogue One got it spot on, no Jar Jar Binks, no Japanese VAT inspectors, no combat droids. It basically could have been set on Earth and been about trying to blow up a Nazi heavy water plant in Norway. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

Andor trailer.

I loved Rogue One, definitely the best of the recent Star Wars output. Trying not to get too hyped up, but that trailer...

Rogue one is almost criminally underrated 

Absolutely fantastic film.

There is a piece in this month's empire saying Andor is very much going down the gritty rogue one approach where the characters are a lot more morally ambiguous. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Eman Esfandi has been cast as Ezra Bridger (Rebels) for the upcoming Ashoka series.

https://collider.com/ahsoka-eman-esfandi-cast-ezra-bridger-star-wars/

I’ve not watched any of the Rebels cartoons etc, I’m struggling to work out how Ashoka fits into it all. 

Madolorian and Boba Fett are set after ROTJ, so why isn’t she in the original films? Or referenced in episodes 7-9?

Any assistance would be welcome! 

Any new Star Wars show need to bring this dude back, he was ace…

41FFDEC8-AC18-4867-93D5-F8F6DBDEAFFC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I’ve not watched any of the Rebels cartoons etc, I’m struggling to work out how Ashoka fits into it all. 

Madolorian and Boba Fett are set after ROTJ, so why isn’t she in the original films? Or referenced in episodes 7-9?

Any assistance would be welcome! 

Any new Star Wars show need to bring this dude back, he was ace…

41FFDEC8-AC18-4867-93D5-F8F6DBDEAFFC.jpeg

Watch The Clone Wars and Rebels. That’s all the assistance you need. She’s quite a significant figure (since the introduction of Clone Wars animation series). You will also get to see loads of Mr Cad Bane.