You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I don't think anyone comes out of those prequels looking good. The dialogue they were given to work with was complete tripe. 

You can type this shit, you just can't say it. 

• Upvote 1

I think Mcgregor is one of those actors who gets by on minimal talent. Honestly can't think of any performance that has wowed me. Even in Trainspotting (along with the equally overrated Johnny Lee Miller) he was second fiddle to Robert Carlyle, Ewen Bremner and Kevin Mckidd, who were all outstanding. I'm not saying he was bad, he's never bad, just nothing spectacular. Having been a massive fan of the book first i guess he was almost the obvious choice for Renton, and possibly why Robert Carlyle was so impressive was because he was nothing like how i pictured the character from the book. 

I think i watched the first two episodes of the last Fargo series and got irritated by his perm and gave up 

12 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

True. However, I’m struggling to think of a Ewan McGregor film that I’ve liked.

I'm not sure he was making films when Betmax was a thing. Likely not in the 1980s either.

4 hours ago, joeyk said:

Shallow Grave was good? 

Watched Shallow Grave years ago but can barely remember anything about it.

4 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Trainspotting was fucking brilliant, and anyone who says otherwise is just trolling

Nah. I’m not a fan of the books or the films. I understand why Trainspotting is rated as highly as it is, but it’s not my cup of tea.

Just looked McGregor up on IMBD, to remind myself of the films he has made. Of the ones I’ve seen, I enjoyed Moulin Rouge, Christopher Robin and Doctor Sleep. A television series rather than a film, but Lipstick on Your Collar was great.

• Upvote 2

On 01/04/2021 at 00:54, Tony Moanero said:

Watched Shallow Grave years ago but can barely remember anything about it.

Nah. I’m not a fan of the books or the films. I understand why Trainspotting is rated as highly as it is, but it’s not my cup of tea.

That's fair enough Tone, you haven't said it's a bad film, just not your sort of thing.

I don't mind McGregor at all, as others have said it was hard for any actors to impress in the prequels.  I thought McGregor was more than competent in Trainspotting, Life Less Ordinary (a very under-rated film) and Christopher Robin.  At least he's got *some* range unlike Martin Freeman, who plays the same character in EVERYTHING he's done.

As a side note, apart from the two returning actors, I haven't heard of anyone in that cast for Kenobi.

On 31/03/2021 at 12:25, Strontium Dog™ said:

Very good in The Ghost (Writer) opposite Pierce Brosnan.

I liked him as Obi-Wan, I think he did the best he could with terrible scripts.

The scene where he tracks down Eli Wallach made me gasp, it was genuinely upsetting.

I couldn't believe just how frail and ill Wallach looked, he looked like a ghost! One of my favourite ever actors, his performance as Tuco in TGTB&TU was a complete tour de force.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...