You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

I pretty much disagree with all of that. There are 1000s of Jedis in the prequels who aren't from any lineage, only with the Skywalkers does it matter.

It's fan service of the worst kind for me. I don't want to see the same thing repeatedly. I accept that on here this will be the minority opinion though.

That's fair enough mate, I know nothing of Star Wars apart from the movies and as I say this just tied in nicely with the overall story for me, we're all different though.

On 22/12/2019 at 02:03, Dicko said:

This is now my subjective but completely flawless ratings of Star Wars films.

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) Star Wars

3) Rogue One

4) Return Of The Jedi

After this is a real drop in quality

5) Revenge Of The Sith

6) The Force Awakens

7) The Rise Of Skywalker

8) Solo

9) The Phantom Menace

10) Attack Of The Clones

11) The Last Jedi

But this latest trilogy, what was the point of Kylo Ren?

Rogue One better than ROTJ?

With all due respect, get fucked. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter is such bone-idle plotting that I think even calling it fan fiction is an insult.

Very

The film starts as it means to go on.

No mention of Luke’s sacrifice for the resistance on the opening crawl to inspire the galaxy..etc, nothing about what the resistance has been up to in the last year....etc.

Going straight into introducing a broadcast to the universe from the ‘dead’ Palpatine that you had to play fucking Fortnight on their live Episode 9 event to hear in the days leading up to the release.

FF5D65ED-A42B-423F-9E7F-2F47AC2CDCBF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Juniper said:

Very

The film starts as it means to go on.

No mention of Luke’s sacrifice for the resistance on the opening crawl to inspire the galaxy..etc, nothing about what the resistance has been up to in the last year....etc.

Going straight into introducing a broadcast to the universe from the ‘dead’ Palpatine that you had to play fucking Fortnight on their live Episode 9 event to hear in the days leading up to the release.

FF5D65ED-A42B-423F-9E7F-2F47AC2CDCBF.jpeg

That 'find it out for yourself elsewhere' stuff has been around forever with Star Wars so I'm not that bothered about it but I agree broadly.

There's no vision for the new film other than undo the Last Jedi, get in, get out and get away plus "here's a thing you'll remember". They already did the nostalgia thing with Force Awakens, I don't need to see it again, and the frustrating thing is I broadly like all the new characters but they've been poorly served by creative decisions, indecisiveness, over-sensitivity to internet boards and a lack of control/plan from Lucasfilm.

Take a break from making Star Wars, find a story that's worth telling and then get in a creative team who have the ability/strength of conviction to make it.

I wasn't 100% sold on Last Jedi, and there were things I thoroughly disagreed with, but you need to do more bold things like that than continue to make the same movie again and again. The prequels were bad but the stories were fine, just poorly executed. What a thorough waste of time this new trilogy has proven to be.

• Upvote 2

I was entertained by Skywalker on a mindless popcorn level, but afterwards, when I thought about it, it all started to fall apart.

Agree about it ‘fixing’ the Last Jedi, but I was one of those who wasn’t convinced it needed fixing and would have liked to have seen where they might have gone with it.

55 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A group of film makers who are very good at dissecting films. Their deconstruction of The Phantom Menace is internet legend among film fans.

Thanks. I’m not really into that sort of thing. I enjoy watching films, but just like what I like and am not arsed about in-depth reviews and stuff. I do, however, like those film film blooper programmes that you get on telly.

The thing is, with movies, as with anything related to art (music etc), it ultimately comes down to personal taste.

There’s no right or wrong answer, you can get general consensus but if you like something you like it, and vice versa.

I have some sympathy with the view that you need to push boundaries and not just do the same stuff but I think TLJ tried that and failed spectacularly so Abrams had no choice but to be safe.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The thing is, with movies, as with anything related to art (music etc), it ultimately comes down to personal taste.

There’s no right or wrong answer, you can get general consensus but if you like something you like it, and vice versa.

I have some sympathy with the view that you need to push boundaries and not just do the same stuff but I think TLJ tried that and failed spectacularly so Abrams had no choice but to be safe.

I don't personally think it failed as much as you're saying. Some people loved it, some people hated it. I do think it gets way too much unfair criticism/mentions.

I think it's a good film personally. I didn't completely agree with the direction of Luke but it had two very good payoff scenes in the Yoda scene and final confrontation on Crait so there was a reason for that.

Again, it's down to personal taste but it's a better constructed film than The Rise of Skywalker.

9 minutes ago, Juniper said:

I don't personally think it failed as much as you're saying. Some people loved it, some people hated it. I do think it gets way too much unfair criticism/mentions.

I think it's a good film personally. I didn't completely agree with the direction of Luke but it had two very good payoff scenes in the Yoda scene and final confrontation on Crait so there was a reason for that.

Again, it's down to personal taste but it's a better constructed film than The Rise of Skywalker.

Respectfully disagree mate; I absolutely despised it.

I just find it unbelievable that they went into the trilogy without a rough plan of where they were going to end up. Surely that had key plot points that needed to hit in order to arrive at the end destination. 

Whoever was in overall charge at Disney should be fired as it was their job to create an overall arc, for good or bad, that the film makers would be required to follow. This to me, is where the problem appears to lie. 

Lucas when he made the original trilogy always wanted a nine movie arc and whilst the prequels were terrible he had a final destination. It appears Disney threw this out and decided not to replace it with anything prior to filming. 

Massive let down for me. Just tried to make good what was fucked up with the last Jedi.

pace of the film was all over the place either way too fast or too slow in parts. 

I loved the force awakens and rogue one. They felt like Star Wars films and had a semblance of decent writing and storytelling thrown in. 

These last two films are up there with the prequels in terms of how badly they were done. 

11 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Thanks. I’m not really into that sort of thing. I enjoy watching films, but just like what I like and am not arsed about in-depth reviews and stuff. I do, however, like those film film blooper programmes that you get on telly.

Neither am I - but for the original Star Wars prequels their reviews in the guise of a character Mr Plinkett absolutely rips the shit out of them and are very entertaining.  Admittedly - this sounds shit in theory but at least watch the Phantom Menace one as that is a work of genius.

• Upvote 1