You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well I went in fearing the worst after the first reviews on here and also with the memory of how deflated I felt watching The Last Jedi still quite fresh in my mind.

Came out grinning though; loved it. I’d say Force Awakens is slightly my favourite out of these three but this is a close second.

I need to process it all before going into detail.

• Upvote 3

Side note: I wasn't going to see this as the 2nd film was wretched, but decided to see it tonight in Qatar as there's nothing much to do here (another side note: kiss in the film is censored here .. makes for an amusing/surreal skip at a key point in the film). Quick surf online and it seems that most people who've seen it & enjoyed the originals also liked this one .. so if there is anyone who was put off by the 2nd like me give this one a chance and see what you think ..

Right, so some random musings from me about the film.

• Loved all of the action, it was really fast-paced and just felt breathless but in a good way

• It felt like a proper Star Wars movie much in the same way that TLJ just didn’t

• Yes it was a return to the same safe space as Force Awakens but for me that was a good thing. History has proven that trying to be brave and original with a tried and trusted “product” just hasn’t worked. It was unashamedly fan-oriented but I like that

• I didn’t really like the scenes with Leia. It was obvious that they weren’t really part of the story so I think that could have been handled better

• I didn’t enjoy Lando as much as I hoped; didn’t really do much did he?

• I loved the bit where Rey gave Ben the saber; that whole fight was boss

• Loved the final scene

• There was a bit in the middle of the film where I was noticeably grinning to myself because it just felt like a proper Star Wars film; I think it was when they went to Passana and the whole festival thing was going on. Just loved the way all of that looked and felt.

• Loved the flashback of Leia training with Luke

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Struggling to think of a fresh take, be it a reboot, prequel or sequel, made years after the original(s) that has been worth bothering with. Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Terminator 3 onwards, Ghostbusters (2016), Creed 1 and 2, 21st century He-Man and Thundercats cartoons, all a load of bollocks.

The new Blade Runner was boss.

Saw it again last night and although I was again disappointed with it I felt, again, the middle section (Passana up to the end of the Death Star) was the best bit as it slowed down a little at times and gave some depth. 

Way too much fan service and waffle for my liking at the beginning and end.

Nice to see Wedge again though, even if his cameo was a bit crap.

Glad others are enjoying it though. 

Just got back.  It was okay MILES better than the Last Jedi (which was fucking awful).  Think people are voting with their feet though - I've seen all three of the new movies at Friday 9am: Force Awakens - rammed; Last Jedi - two-thirds full; this one - no more than 20 people in the screen.

A bit soppy sentimental at times, a solid 6/10.

19 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Just got back.  It was okay MILES better than the Last Jedi (which was fucking awful).  Think people

are voting with their feet though - I've seen all three of the new movies at Friday 9am: Force Awakens - rammed; Last Jedi - two-thirds full; this one - no more than 20 people in the screen.

In my opinion, five Star Wars films in as many years is overkill.

Been thinking about it since I saw it yesterday and it is growing on me. 

A film I am looking forward to seeing again, which I couldn't say about TLJ. 

AS I said yesterday I think the start was rushed due to have effectively fit episode 8 into this film, due to TLJ being TLJ. 

There was a lot more buddy stuff at the start of this, again I believe it was necessary due to the heroes spending almost all of TLJ apart. 

Some of the call backs that slightly irritated me have grown on me, due to being a 48 year old fanboy. They are either lazy copies or wonderful callbacks and I have decided to go with the latter.

I am going to give it 7.2 out of 10 but this may go up as I get more nostalgic.

5 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Just got back.  It was okay MILES better than the Last Jedi (which was fucking awful).  Think people are voting with their feet though - I've seen all three of the new movies at Friday 9am: Force Awakens - rammed; Last Jedi - two-thirds full; this one - no more than 20 people in the screen.

The lack of interest is a direct hangover from The Last Jedi. If that film had enthused audiences, they'd be queuing up for this one. Instead it cast a wet blanket over the whole thing. This one will be Worst of both worlds in terms of box office probably, because they ostracise casual fans by creating a very self-referntial film that harps back to a lot of the previous films & are going to be battling against the ill-will left by the 2nd film on the traditional fans.

Spoilers. 

Just got back from watching it now. I think there’s a lot of truth in people not being arsed after the disaster that was TLJ. I barely even looked at the trailers and couldn’t be arsed with this at all. Only went because I’ve seen every Star Wars film since The Phantom Menace at the cinema with my mate and he wanted to go. 

I actually enjoyed this in a lot of respects but there was still quite a lot about it that annoyed me. I didn’t like the force healing that’s just appeared, first in the Mandalorian and now in this. How is Palpatine still alive? Just no explanation for this at all. And speaking of Palpatine where did he get all these ships from with planet destroyers and who was manning them? And who were the robed figures at the end? Are they meant to be the spirits of the Sith? 

Like I say, it’s enjoyable if you don’t think too much about it, but the plot was all over the place and just felt like they were trying to fix everything ruined by that dickhead who made TLJ. 

Overall the trilogy felt a bit pointless. 

• Upvote 1

This is now my subjective but completely flawless ratings of Star Wars films.

1) The Empire Strikes Back

2) Star Wars

3) Rogue One

4) Return Of The Jedi

After this is a real drop in quality

5) Revenge Of The Sith

6) The Force Awakens

7) The Rise Of Skywalker

8) Solo

9) The Phantom Menace

10) Attack Of The Clones

11) The Last Jedi

But this latest trilogy, what was the point of Kylo Ren?

5 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

1. Return of the Jedi

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars

The rest...

6FD411E4-7AD8-4A57-90B2-D3E0C9BE9DFE.jpeg

Have you stored the rest in A4 folders under the rubbish bag?

Finally saw it this afternoon. Much better than I expected and it did a good job of salvaging something after the disaster of TLJ. But so many thing that we’re unexplained or didn’t make sense (at least in the movie universe):

How come Palpatine was still alive?

Palpatine had a kid? 

A Sith planet and language that hadn’t been mentioned before.

Why did Maz have Luke’s lightsaber?

Wayfinders that we hadn’t seen in any of the 8 previous films. 

I thought the Knights of REN were previous Jedi in training? Obviously shit Jedi. 

Why did Hux have a superior officer all of a sudden? 

Probably many more questions when I’ve digested everything. But I did enjoy it and will watch it again. 

All in all, a trilogy that shouldn’t have happened. 

1 hour ago, Ian Sea said:

Finally saw it this afternoon. Much better than I expected and it did a good job of salvaging something after the disaster of TLJ. But so many thing that we’re unexplained or didn’t make sense (at least in the movie universe):

How come Palpatine was still alive?

Palpatine had a kid? 

A Sith planet and language that hadn’t been mentioned before.

Why did Maz have Luke’s lightsaber?

Wayfinders that we hadn’t seen in any of the 8 previous films. 

I thought the Knights of REN were previous Jedi in training? Obviously shit Jedi. 

Why did Hux have a superior officer all of a sudden? 

Probably many more questions when I’ve digested everything. But I did enjoy it and will watch it again. 

All in all, a trilogy that shouldn’t have happened. 

The only question you've asked that's actually been explained is in a recent comic where the Knights of Ren were followers of Snoke and not Jedi.

Youll probably have to read a comic eventually for the rest, which is just pisstake storytelling really.

I just got from my watching it again and enjoyed it, however some stuff did bug me a bit on second viewing.

Having said that, when you watch the original trilogy back it's the same with them so I don't think it's anything new when it comes to Star Wars.

My over-riding feeling after this is just how fucking frustrating TLJ was. The lack of cohesion between the that movie and the other two is just crazy. Surely you'd have thought that the three plots would be written ahead of time to ensure that they flowed etc?

32 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I just got from my watching it again and enjoyed it, however some stuff did bug me a bit on second viewing.

Having said that, when you watch the original trilogy back it's the same with them so I don't think it's anything new when it comes to Star Wars.

My over-riding feeling after this is just how fucking frustrating TLJ was. The lack of cohesion between the that movie and the other two is just crazy. Surely you'd have thought that the three plots would be written ahead of time to ensure that they flowed etc?

I think (regardless of what you think about TLJ) it didn't really undo anything from its previous film in TFA, it just takes it in a direction people didn't expect.

TROS on the other hand does and has created more questions than, in some cases, answers.

Id love to see what Colin Trevelow had in his script before he got booted as he certainly didn't have Palpertine. Apparently had a female main villain and Rey continued to be not related to anyone.

Hopefully it's a lesson for Lucasfilm in how not to produce a new trilogy. I guess JJ Abrams had just over two years to write, film and release TROS so it's messy as a result - plus it was supposed to be Carrie Fishers film and things obviously had to change.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Rey as Palpatine's granddaughter is such bone-idle plotting that I think even calling it fan fiction is an insult.

It's definitely lazy but i'm wondering what else he could have done with what Johnson left him with?

I get the angle Johnson was going with, i.e. being force-sensitive isn't all about lineage and a nobody can be a somebody etc. I just don't think that tied in with the overall theme of Star Wars though. It's always been about family relationships, friendships and how all of that ties together.

And I like the way you have Jedi offspring who turned to the dark side and then a grand-daughter of the Emperor who are on the light side. It just fits with the whole theme for me, Rey being a nobody from a nobody family just didn't seem right. 

I pretty much disagree with all of that. There are 1000s of Jedis in the prequels who aren't from any lineage, only with the Skywalkers does it matter.

It's fan service of the worst kind for me. I don't want to see the same thing repeatedly. I accept that on here this will be the minority opinion though.