You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It was absolutely shite, went with two mates and they thought the same. Quite a few people in our screening were laughing/shaking their heads at some serious/key scenes.

Pace wise it’s like The Force Awakens on steroids. Plot wise it’s very, very poor.

The middle of the film was quite good at times when it slowed down slightly, the start and end were very poor and rushed. 

Don’t expect any elaboration on many of the major plot points, you won’t get any.

Weakest of the latest trilogy, by far.

3 hours ago, Brownie said:

FFS i’m going to watch it after work and was really hoping that this one would fix all the crap from the last one (which was terrible).

I'm sure some people will like it, it's just a fucking dumb film where most of the major plots/desicions just don't make sense, or are even explained. 

There is certainly a lot to think about.

I’m in 2 minds about where the fault lies.

It’s either:

a) after the reactions to the Last Jedi, they shit their pants on it’s, bold really, plot points and tried to play to satisfy  fans 

b) The Last Jedi really just fucked the trilogy. 

I can’t believe that Abrams wasn’t aware of what was planned for TLJ, so it’s got to be a).

There are some good moments and ideas in but but there is to much in it & over stuffed - IMO, some of the plot points should have been seeded in TLJ. Some of what happens is eye rollingly cringe. It’s prequel levels of bad. 

So disappointed. I genuinely enjoyed my daughters nativity play before I went to see it more. 

Just seen it.

Agree it felt rushed, to me the first part was the story TLJ, should/could have told and then the middle bit with no time left for the last part. 

Like TFA a lot of nods for fans, but some were badly placed. 

Having said all of the above I enjoyed it up to a point. Not great but didn't shit all over everything. 

I actually enjoyed it. It surprised me to be honest. Plenty to keep your attention and none of the nonsense from TLJ. But it never seemed to get the tension up sufficiently to elevate it beyond being an OK watch. 

There were so many weak characters in that trilogy that it was never going to be anything other than meh. Glad it's over. 

Struggling to think of a fresh take, be it a reboot, prequel or sequel, made years after the original(s) that has been worth bothering with. Star Wars prequels, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Terminator 3 onwards, Ghostbusters (2016), Creed 1 and 2, 21st century He-Man and Thundercats cartoons, all a load of bollocks.

More long-form and Spoilers.

Rise of Skywalker was fine whilst seemingly doing all it could to undo the Last Jedi. As a result of this it ended up looking like a big act of fan-fiction with Palpatine's return, Ben and Rey kissing, Rey being related to Palpatine, Ben returning to the Light, Chewie gets a medal etc. plus a lot of audio and visual cues from the previous movies.

It did feel like two movies squeezed into one, almost like this was the planned trilogy before the Last Jedi was conceived. It was enjoyable, it moved along at a fair clip, and Star Wars is always better when it expands the universe. It's funny that the Force heal thing has never existed up until yesterday's episode of the Mandalorian came out and then this film came out today. In fact there's a lot of Force powers that suddenly seem to exist for nothing other than plot exposition and whilst that isn't inherently a problem, it feels like it's often lazy writing out of a plot cul-de-sac.

It's nothing special though and it definitely feels like a massive course correction of the reaction to the Last Jedi; the only thing I really disagreed with in the Last Jedi is the portrayal of Luke, though I also feel the Force Awakens was wasteful with him too. I'd be wary of listening to too many fan complaints though as you end up with this very safe, risk averse film. Also, a little bit annoyed they give Rey a yellow lightsaber, like Knights of the Old Republic, but only at the very fucking end.

I did enjoy watching it but then it's bringing back old characters to say lines to Rey as Jedis and characters you watched get 'killed'. Ultimately though I wonder what the point of this trilogy was, apart from the obvious, as narratively it left us with "like Return of the Jedi but more emphatic" and that feels like a big waste of opportunity. There's nothing inherently wrong with either cast or characters in any of the films, it's just that it seems no one had any ideas outside of the traditional story except Rian Johnson and everyone complained he ruined the series. So here comes the Rise of Skywalker to expunge most of that, course correct the franchise again and leave us where we were three films ago.

• Upvote 4

Expansive; operatic; epic. No desire to boil feats down to science nor cast a cynical, adult eye over fantasy-heroes. This one was a superb fantasy-film and, of the 3, the truest to the ethos of the originals. That is to say outlandish, colourful & immensely optimistic in its outlook.

I imagine that despite the critical reviews (which influenced my own extreme misgivings) this one will be popular with the core fans & those who dismissed the second. How unfortunate the second was such an immense botch job.