You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

44 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I still reckon there's a decent fan edit in The Last Jedi waiting to be made.  The cinematography is solid, it's just thematically all over the shop.

I think the problem is numb nuts Ryan what's his face had been watching too many Marvel films and Game of Thrones. He tried to 'subvert' expectations to such an extent that there was no story left by the end of it and no main villain. 

The tone was all over the shop too, trying to be funny like an Iron Man film but missing the mark completely. The whole 'can you put me through to General Hux' business at the start just had me shaking my head. 

Imagine Admiral Piett standing for that shit? No chance.  

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think the problem is numb nuts Ryan what's his face had been watching too many Marvel films and Game of Thrones. He tried to 'subvert' expectations to such an extent that there was no story left by the end of it and no main villain. 

The tone was all over the shop too, trying to be funny like an Iron Man film but missing the mark completely. The whole 'can you put me through to General Hux' business at the start just had me shaking my head. 

Imagine Admiral Piett standing for that shit? No chance.  

Yep, the films under Disney have been leaning that way, and it felt like a Marvel Star Wars. It's those moments I reckon you could cut around, as they generally serve no purpose. The scene where Rey meets Luke and hands him the lightsabre, for instance; you could just take out the silly throw, and you'd be left with Rey approaching, Luke looking at her, taking the lightsabre, then walking past, and you'd see it on the floor.

Leia's Mary poppins act, Luke drinking green milk, Hux's pratfalls at the end etc. could all hit the cutting room floor and the story wouldn't exactly suffer.

55 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Dunno why she had to be blown into space in the first place, just to kill Admiral Ackbar? Fuck that.

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if a million memes were suddenly silenced.

• Upvote 1

I still think Rogue One is massively underrated. I think what it did brilliantly which the prequels didn't is keep everything human. There's no floppy headed cunts meandering around, it's basically just ordinary folk in a universe that looks real, where ships are rusty and people have fridges in their house. That was the original magic of star wars. Not the force and super lasers, it's that everything looked like it could be in Manchester. 

Compare Krenik to the Trade Federation blerts, Grievous etc, he's basically an ordinary corporate cunt. He wants to be promoted, hates his rivals and probably gets up three times a night to take a piss, none of this six lightsabers bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

7 hours ago, TK421 said:

Ackbar had to go.  We couldn't have any strong male leaders in THAT movie. 

Disgraceful, the treatment he got.  An OT legend and he gets one line of dialog to confirm he's dead, and that's it.  Nobody left to warn us about traps. 

I agree with how he was killed off but legend is pushing it, more like cult favourite really. He was in ROTJ only for a total of two and a half minutes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like we might be getting news of the Kenobi series that’s been rumoured for Disney+ since February.

Apparently it was originally a film and was supposed to be announced shortly after the premiere of Solo (which is why Ewan McGregor attended) but changed to a 6 part series. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/obi-wan-kenobi-series-ewan-mcgregor-disney-plus-1203304387/amp/

On 16/08/2019 at 10:20, Juniper said:

Looks like we might be getting news of the Kenobi series that’s been rumoured for Disney+ since February.

Apparently it was originally a film and was supposed to be announced shortly after the premiere of Solo (which is why Ewan McGregor attended) but changed to a 6 part series. 

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/obi-wan-kenobi-series-ewan-mcgregor-disney-plus-1203304387/amp/

Kenobi series indeed also announced last night.

Set closer to Revenge of the Sith than A New Hope. 

Filming starts next year.

• Like 1

I realised not so long ago that I now feel far more anticipation and even excitement about the MCU than I do about Star Wars. It quite shocked me that, as someone who queued round the block on Lime St as a six year old in 1977 to be blown away by film in a manner that’s never been surpassed since, I felt pretty much nothing about Episode IX. 

I was absolutely made up therefore to feel genuine excitement after watching that trailer for The Mandalorian. It looks like everything you want Star Wars to be: tense, thrilling and a little bit wondrous. I’m also buzzing off the whole “man with no name” feel to it. 

In short, Netflix is getting kicked into touch the second Disney+ arrives on these shores. 

• Upvote 1

Was watching the red letter media dissection of Phantom Menace again yesterday which in itself is genius and just reminds you what a missed opportunity the prequels were. I'd be well up for seeing them rebooted. 

I still remember watching it at the pictures and feeling hope turn to horror as I realised it wasn't going to get any better. The opening crawl said it all. 

Rather than 'rebel spies have stolen plans from the evil galactic empire for a battle station that can destroy planets.'

We had: "a VAT dispute about taxation of space routes has led to the inland revenue blockading a planet with its donut ships."