You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

15 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Just seems too forced, and like it or not males are the main demographic watching these films. 

Anyway Princess Leia was a badass, clearly in charge, bossing the lads about, beautiful, an actual princess, general of the rebellion. It's not like young girls were lacking a role model in the original films. 

What stats have you got to back the first point up?

Luke literally was given his lightsaber and introduced to the force and within a few hours blew up the first Death Star with- hardly any effort.

Anakin flew a spaceship for the first time and blew up a Starship, he was about ten years old.

The whole sexism/feminist card with Star Wars and the whole ‘Mary Sue’ rubbish in recent times is nonsense when you look at the previous films

it’s a daft (in story) but popular and fun sci-fi film where things don’t really make much sense. Doesn’t need to be heavier than that.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Aventus said:

Just seems too forced, and like it or not males are the main demographic watching these films. 

Anyway Princess Leia was a badass, clearly in charge, bossing the lads about, beautiful, an actual princess, general of the rebellion. It's not like young girls were lacking a role model in the original films. 

Leia was great and I liked the original films too, I didn't feel that anything was forced with the main character in the recent films either though, and think she's a good character and actress. My own issues are more with other stuff really, still looking forward to the next film though and hope it's good.

7 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Middle aged blokes complaining about women in films.

tenor.gif?itemid=5104951

Let's get this straight, I've never complained about Emma Stone being in a film, she's a brilliant actress. It's the shit, posh English ones being shoehorned into lead roles in action films that bother me.

As you've astutely pointed out, I'm far too old to be having an opinion on Star Wars films anyway so I'll leave it to you & your smashing collection of gifs.

That trailer has left me completely uninterested. With so much potential in the Star Wars canon, a rehashing of the Skywalker/Palpatine story would be a terrible idea. I hope they do something different but there's a risk of this being an absolute turkey.

9 hours ago, Juniper said:

What stats have you got to back the first point up?

Luke literally was given his lightsaber and introduced to the force and within a few hours blew up the first Death Star with- hardly any effort.

Anakin flew a spaceship for the first time and blew up a Starship, he was about ten years old.

The whole sexism/feminist card with Star Wars and the whole ‘Mary Sue’ rubbish in recent times is nonsense when you look at the previous films

it’s a daft (in story) but popular and fun sci-fi film where things don’t really make much sense. Doesn’t need to be heavier than that.

Well males being the main demographic is just fact, I'd be shocked if you could find any survey that says otherwise. 

I know it's Sci fi and it doesn't always need to make sense, but it does need to make sense within its own universe. If there's been 6 films establishing something as fact, then it's out of place for the 7th film to go against any of that. 

Luke picked up a lightsaber and was useless with it, kept getting shot by the training droid.

Rey picks up a lightsaber and twats kylo ren, a sith apprentice with years of training. 

Luke already knew how to pilot ships, and shooting womp rats, he used the force for a bit of extra accuracy for the one big shot he needed to make. 

Anakin was a skilled podracer and basically fluked blowing up the space ship, he was aiming for some droids and hits the reactor, he literally says "oops" when he does it. 

Rey flys the millennium falcon and outmanuvres trained first order pilots while having no practical experience, apparently she salvaged a simulator before the story begins and that's how she does it, but that is never mentioned in the film itself, just in a separate short story released afterwards to fill the plot hole. 

We don't see Luke use the jedi mind trick til the third film, I'm assuming he had a lot of training from yoda, Rey uses it on the Daniel Craig storm trooper without even witnessing a jedi do it first. 

It's just ridiculous that she has all these jedi skills by default, while it takes Luke the best part of 3 films to learn all this stuff. 

Luke and anakin repeatedly fail, and need to be saved by obi wan, or han or leia or Vader or whoever, It's part of a good character, nobody is perfect and they need help sometimes so they can eventually become the hero. 

Rey doesn't need saving, she does everything by herself, and that's intentional because Disney don't want their strong independent female main character to ever fail and need a man to bail her out. It goes against what they are trying to do, so she just becomes shallow, and as a result the rest of the characters become useless. 

In the end she doesn't even need a jedi to train her, she just steals the jedi books and fucks off to train herself. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

That trailer has left me completely uninterested. With so much potential in the Star Wars canon, a rehashing of the Skywalker/Palpatine story would be a terrible idea. I hope they do something different but there's a risk of this being an absolute turkey.

Hey, stop pulling the thread in a binary good/bad direction.  I didn't come here to read this.

Having just seen the trailer I am intrigued by this. With Palpatine coming back (I’m guessing he is as he was at the panel yesterday) I’m not put off by it at all. 

That somersault jump over over what looks to be Ren’s ship is boss. How can you not get a woody on over that.

I’ve slagged Last Jedi to death because of some of the absolute dog shit lines and the Liea ‘Angel’ scene, but I’ve been back to it at least 6 times with the boy and its not as bad as I first felt it was. The boy loved it, and that’s who it’s aimed at. Not a 40 year old fella who is trying to cling on to all things from his youth. 

It is still going to be better than what Lucas did with the prequels. And that is enough for me. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Let's get this straight, I've never complained about Emma Stone being in a film, she's a brilliant actress. It's the shit, posh English ones being shoehorned into lead roles in action films that bother me.

As you've astutely pointed out, I'm far too old to be having an opinion on Star Wars films anyway so I'll leave it to you & your smashing collection of gifs.

Why do English 'posh' actresses being in films bother you? It's an odd line to take. Does Kit Harington being in Game of Thrones stop anyone enjoying the character of Jon Snow? 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Why do English 'posh' actresses being in films bother you? It's an odd line to take. Does Kit Harington being in Game of Thrones stop anyone enjoying the character of Jon Snow? 

I don't know what any of the second bit means.

I've said my piece & acknowledged it wouldn't be popular so we can probably just leave it at that.

As much as the trailer bet the juices a flowing and you hope, literally for a new hope, I'm always let down, however, on the other hand, the anthology films A Star Wars Story, whilst not having the hype, for me, are way better films. Great that there is another Star Wars, but poo that its Disney, basically.  

2 hours ago, Aventus said:

Rey doesn't need saving, she does everything by herself, and that's intentional because Disney don't want their strong independent female main character to ever fail and need a man to bail her out. It goes against what they are trying to do, so she just becomes shallow, and as a result the rest of the characters become useless. 

I really doubt it’s anything to do with her being a female and more to do some of those things following their own path and also a failure with the storytelling.

Like I’ve said it’s a daft sci fi film but really I cannot get my head around men almost being/feeling threatened by it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Juniper said:

I really doubt it’s anything to do with her being a female and more to do some of those things following their own path and also a failure with the storytelling.

Like I’ve said it’s a daft sci fi film but really I cannot get my head around men almost being/feeling threatened by it. 

Well maybe not directly because she's a woman, but if she did fuck up, and a bloke had to bail her out I imagine there would be sexist cunts on the Internet taking the piss out of the film for it. They've taken steps to avoid that. 

Like you said it could just be bad storytelling, but they've definitely tried too hard to make her strong and independent, and the rest of the film suffers because of it.

40 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Kit Harington is a very posh man is the point. 

Ok, well in the last 10 or 20 years there's been a big increase of these shit, bland, posh twats in popular art whether it's Ellie Goulding, Benedict Cumberbatch or Ed Sheeran, most of them probably come from these god awful schools where rich parents send their kids to learn to sing, act & dance. I don't fucking like them, regardless of their gender.

I often think the media have us arguing about sex, race & religion to keep our minds off the biggest problem which is wealth distribution & the chance that these cunts get in life compared with everyone else.

This Star Wars bird is fucking crap in my opinion, I went to the pictures to see the first two films & she done my head in, I'm not going to bother a third time & I'll leave the thread be. I hope my kids can be a bit more open minded than I am at times & maybe they'll love these films, I certainly won't be stopping them or anyone else.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Ok, well in the last 10 or 20 years there's been a big increase of these shit, bland, posh twats in popular art whether it's Ellie Goulding, Benedict Cumberbatch or Ed Sheeran, most of them probably come from these god awful schools where rich parents send their kids to learn to sing, act & dance. I don't fucking like them, regardless of their gender.

I often think the media have us arguing about sex, race & religion to keep our minds off the biggest problem which is wealth distribution & the chance that these cunts get in life compared with everyone else.

This Star Wars bird is fucking crap in my opinion, I went to the pictures to see the first two films & she done my head in, I'm not going to bother a third time & I'll leave the thread be. I hope my kids can be a bit more open minded than I am at times & maybe they'll love these films, I certainly won't be stopping them or anyone else.

I was once negged into oblivion for saying Benedict Cumberbatch is a cunt’s name and Sherlock is turd.

• Upvote 2