You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 years later...

Oh yeah!

'Star Wars hoverbikes' may be coming to the US military

Star Wars-style hoverbikes could be coming to the US military after engineers in the UK and US struck a deal with the US Department of Defense.

The bikes have similar functionality to helicopters, but overcome some of the older technology's design limitations.

The devices can be used in military as well as emergency and aid operations, the developers told the Reuters news agency.

Further research and development will take place in Harford County, Maryland.

The prototypes are reminiscent of the racers that Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia used to zoom around the forest moon of Endor in the film Return of the Jedi.

"The Department of Defense is interested in Hoverbike technology because it can support multiple roles," said Mark Butkiewicz, who works for Survice, the US firm that will be developing the technology. "It can transport troops over difficult terrain and when it's not used in that purpose it can also be used to transport logistics, supplies, and it can operate in both a manned and unmanned asset."

Grant Stapleton of the UK firm Malloy Aeronautics explained to Reuters what advantages the bikes have over traditional helicopters: "Primarily there's safety. With adducted rotors you immediately not only protect people and property if you were to bump into them, but if you ever were to bump into somebody or property it's going to bring the aircraft out of the air."

Government officials in the state of Maryland are welcoming the development saying that it will provide several high-paying jobs to the state.

"I think there can be a lot of applications, and maybe I'll be the fifth or sixth person to ride it. I'm going to wait until a couple of people ride it before me," joked Maryland Lieutenant Governor Boyd Rutherford.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33244861

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got high hopes that Abrams is going to nail this. He seems to be on the right wavelength.

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/sdcc-star-wars-bts-video/

We do it for the fans” is practically a cliche at Comic-Con. It’s just what you’re supposed to say to people who slept outside to hear you give non-committal answers about your new movie or TV show.

Tonight, JJ Abrams said it like he meant it. Then he backed it up by inviting 6,500 people to follow him out of Hall H to see a free concert of music from the Star Wars scores performed by the San Diego Symphony.

It, funnily enough, started at the ending. As Abrams, who is getting remarkably good at “one more thing…” moments, was wrapping his panel he simply asked, “Who wants to go see a live Star Wars concert right now?”

He then directed everyone to follow the Stormtroopers onstage outside. Upon exiting, everyone was given a lanyard—and then, when they arrived at the outdoor amphitheater, a lightsaber in the color of their choice.

Once everyone was in Abrams and his cast (yes, like everyone who was onstage for the panel, including Harrison Ford, who used his lightsaber like a cane) took the stage and introduced the night’s entertainment: a full set of John Williams’ greatest hits, complete with clips from the films. (Props to Star Wars: The Force Awakens star John Boyega for taking a selfie with a massive sea of lightsabers behind him.)

After that, joy. Everyone put on their favorite fan gear (T-shirt, Wookiee hoodie, you name it) and took it in. It was less than an hour, but there were fireworks (this is still a Disney production, after all) as well—and nothing reminds fans how good that theme song is like hearing it played by a full orchestra.

As a journalist, it’s easy to get jaded once you’ve covered enough Comic-Cons. Crappy, I know. But even though every con has its massive fan-gasm highlights, it’s hard not to wince at the fan-service cliches. What Abrams/Lucasfilm did tonight wasn’t that. He might have a lot to live up to, but he also doesn’t need to win anyone over; his movie will make the GDP of a small nation regardless. So no, this wasn’t “for the fans”—it was just for fun. The way it’s supposed to be.

• 1 month later...

Much as I properly buzz off every single snippet that comes out about this film, part of me worries about knowing too much before I see it so some of the magic is broken.

If some of the rumours I've seen on Internet are true (I won't post it in case it's true but there is a meant to be a 'I am your father' style shocker) this will definitely have to be a opening day / weekend film.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...