You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA threaten to move 09 Final from Rome

Go UEFA THREATEN TO MOVE 2009 FINAL

Posted 31/03/08 16:15EmailPrintSave

UEFA have threatened to move the 2009 Champions League final from Rome's Stadio Olimpico if Manchester United fans are targeted in the Italian capital on Tuesday night.

Ten United fans were stabbed last season when the club played Roma, and there was more trouble when Real Madrid visited last month.

Previously, three Middlesbrough fans were stabbed in 2006 and there have been numerous incidents involving knife-wielding gangs outside the stadium before domestic matches.

UEFA communications director William Gaillard said they were serious about moving the final if there was more trouble.

Gaillard said: "The situation inside the stadium has improved dramatically and we hope it will go well tomorrow and there are no reasons to expect problems inside the stadium.

"But we cannot afford to organise the final of the Champions League in a city where people are getting knifed every game.

"We will be watching and we are serious that if we have incidents like when Manchester United visited last year or Real Madrid last month, then we would have to reconsider our decision for the 2009 final."

He added: "We cannot have responsibility for bringing 40,000 people to the final and risk them being knifed in the city.

"We will be watching closely tomorrow and the rest of the season and next season. The police have to do their job.

"It's a fantastic venue and a beautiful city, and we realise these people have nothing to do with football, but if fans are afraid and it's dangerous we will have to look at the whole matter."

United have issued detailed advice for fans and warned them to use official free shuttle buses rather than travel independently on public transport.

They have also warned supporters to avoid Rome's famous Campo de Fiori piazza, and metro routes used by 'ultras'.

The club's advice states: "Please stay as far away as possible from Campo De Fiori which is the meeting point for the Roma fans and a place where there has been a lot of trouble in the past with 'Ultra' Roma fans. For your own safety please avoid this area."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah right.

I dont believe a word Gaylord says. I love the way that every bit of trouble caused by Italian fans (and in their domestic matches as well) is referred to as nothing to do with football, and I remember that the events after the police shot someone led to rioting, it was "not a football problem, but a social problem" according to gaylord. Funny it was never that way in the 70's and 80's with English "supporters". Not that I'm making light of any hooliganism, but I'm always disgusted that its one rule for one country and one rule for others. If everything that has been going on for years in Italy in and out of stadiums had happened in England, I'm convinced UEFA would have banned, if not all clubs, most of them.

Spot on its one rule for the English game and one for everyone else.

The Italians have been getting away with it for years, Rome should never of been chosen in the 1st place, its been happening for far too long.

Lets hope something happens, I wont hold my breath though.

Spot on its one rule for the English game and one for everyone else.

The Italians have been getting away with it for years, Rome should never of been chosen in the 1st place, its been happening for far too long.

Lets hope something happens, I wont hold my breath though.

If you change your mind and decide to hold your breath, let me know beforehand as I will have the Guinness Book of Records and an Ambulance standing by for you.