You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Redder Lurtz

After a chat on here about the Danday Warhols and having watched DiG! as a result, and despite Anton Newcombe (BJM's frontman) being such a cock, I've downloaded a shitload of their stuff the last few days and had a right old listen. Bearing in mind they never got a proper record deal beacuse of Newcombe's violent antics, it ain't half bad. If you dig a bit of poetry over some psychodelic riffs over the odd thrashy chord sequence, I'd highly recommend it. Some of it's slightly dodgy but like I say, they never got the record deal so they never had the investment in the production they might have had. Nevertheless, lots of distortion, lots of wah-wah and lots of harmonic vocals. Can't knock that.

Newcombe's a tosser, no doubt. But a seriously talented guy nonetheless.

"Tepid Peppermint Wonderland" isn't a bad starting place for anyone who fancies having a listen to any of their stuff.

I haven't seen that film, but it's supposed to be ace, isn't it?

Cracking film Paul. Sex, drugs & rock n roll without the sex. Anton Newcombe is shown in a really bad light, a total nutter. I'm sure he's got a good side but it's deffo not portrayed in the movie. When you consider that the movie was put together and narrated by Taylor Courntey, that's hardly surprising. The Dandys still list BJM as one of their major influences though.

Cracking film Paul. Sex, drugs & rock n roll without the sex. Anton Newcombe is shown in a really bad light, a total nutter. I'm sure he's got a good side but it's deffo not portrayed in the movie. When you consider that the movie was put together and narrated by Taylor Courntey, that's hardly surprising. The Dandys still list BJM as one of their major influences though.

He claims on his website that she cherry picked the clips to make him out like a maniac as she knew interest in the documentary would be greater as a result. To be fair she does a good job. :whistle:

He claims on his website that she cherry picked the clips to make him out like a maniac as she knew interest in the documentary would be greater as a result. To be fair she does a good job. :whistle:

He....

Fair comment though.

Courtney Taylor:

Courtney_Taylor-Taylor_-_3.jpg

Apologies for getting his name the wrong way round in my earlier post. It's early and I can still taste last night's vodka.

He....

Fair comment though.

Courtney Taylor:

Courtney_Taylor-Taylor_-_3.jpg

Apologies for getting his name the wrong way round in my earlier post. It's early and I can still taste last night's vodka.

Hang on a sec the documentary was wrote and directed by Ondi Timoner

Ondi_Timoner2.jpg

Hang on a sec the documentary was wrote and directed by Ondi Timoner

Ondi_Timoner2.jpg

Ok. But Courtney Taylor narrated it.

Anton is cool as fuck

He is indeed. Or at least could be. He's one very angry young man though. The kick in the face he gave that bloke in the audience was awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
How did Anton behave?

Impeccably. Joel took centre stage and Anton stayed out of the spotlight for most of the night. He went on one for a bit though, with his guitar on his lap, just playing with the feedback and harmonics for about five minutes and Joel was getting seriously impatient, looking very pissed off.

Not the best gig I've ever been to but it's certainly up there. They make a fucking great noise live.

• 3 years later...

Love BJM. they're top of my "bands I have to see before I get boring(er)". Loved DIG! as well. You can tell towards the end The Dandy's realise thy're a flash in th pan and it's BJM who'll go on to be remembered as the credible band. Joel Gion is a national treasure. Great stuff Lurtzy.

Love BJM. they're top of my "bands I have to see before I get boring(er)". Loved DIG! as well. You can tell towards the end The Dandy's realise thy're a flash in th pan and it's BJM who'll go on to be remembered as the credible band. Joel Gion is a national treasure. Great stuff Lurtzy.

You display great taste but I'm repped out.

That was a fascinating movie.

You can tell towards the end The Dandy's realise thy're a flash in th pan and it's BJM who'll go on to be remembered as the credible band.

And at the same time, you can see a bit of Anton playing the "out-of-control rock-star" as if it was some sort of script he had to follow.

That's a movie I'd like to see again.

• 2 years later...

Watched Dig again last night after seeing this thread bumped. I wish I hadn't bothered, because now I am reminded about how much I despise the Dandy Warhols. What an awfully shite band.

Definitely going to go see BJM though. Would have preferred Newcastle but as it's a Sunday it might have to be Leeds.