You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

do you want us to sign David Bentley?

Paco

Do you want us to sign David Bentley?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to sign David Bentley?

• Yes, look what he's done at Blackburn
    • No, he's a good player in a mediocre team

There are three I've seen that would be perfect: Alves, Lahm and (mental block - Italian who can play left back and right back - Zambrotta?; actually, what the fuck's happened to him?). Make that two, then. However, that's probably £30m on two full backs, right there.

If I though that we'd have the money to buy those two, then I'd agree completely. There's not much that needs to be said about Alves and although I've not seen that much of Lahm, in what I have seen he looked like a cracking player, absolute dynamite. I mean, I would literally run up and down the street screaming if we signed that pair. In fact I'd do it outside my office in Salford, every day, for at least a month.

In short, I'd love it but I worry that we're outside the boundaries of realism.

We'd surely better hope and pray that the assclowns in charge have gone by the summer though, if we're to have any hope at all of signings like that. I don't really want to see GG/TH borrow even more money against the club to fund transfers (if they were able to borrow at all in the current economic climate), I'm not convinced that we'll be able to raise sufficient funds from sales to buy players ofthat calibre in today's market without leaving the squad thin in other areas and I'd be amazed if GG puts in anything other than a token amount of his own money towards player purchases. In fact I'd be amazed if he put in anything at all.

As for Zambrotta, few players cause me the mental turmoil that he does. He has the occasional duff game but on the whole, he's a very good player and would fit the current system perfectly. He's versatile too and although he's not a kid anymore, that experience would also be a valuable asset. The trouble is that he's definitely a Juve man and would be far more likely to sign for them if they came in for him.

It also means that despite his obvious talent, I have nurtured an irrational loathing of him for many moons. I would be forced to address this if we signed him, especially since he'd doubtless play well, so for purely selfish reasons I hope other options present themselves. He really would be good though, I mean absolutely perfect. The total cunt. You see, this is just from thinking about it...

I'm hoping a keffiyeh-wearing fairy godfather will turn up with a blank cheque for Europe's finest attacking full-backs and another £25m striker as well. I'm expecting Bentley, Darren Bent at a discount and possibly someone like broken Chelsea bastard Wayne Bridge. It seems that my optimism is in need of a reboot.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping a keffiyeh-wearing fairy godfather will turn up with a blank cheque for Europe's finest attacking full-backs and another £25m striker as well. I'm expecting Bentley, Darren Bent at a discount and possibly someone like broken Chelsea bastard Wayne Bridge. It seems that my optimism is in need of a reboot.

Christ, mate - your expectations exceed mine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see players leave and no-one brought in except for kids. That debt is like the sword of Damocles. It's just hovering there all the time waiting to fall.

Christ, mate - your expectations exceed mine. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see players leave and no-one brought in except for kids. That debt is like the sword of Damocles. It's just hovering there all the time waiting to fall.

If signing Wayne Bridge and Darren Bent is optimistic, you know we've got problems. I was figuring a total spend of about £25m, raised almost entirely from player sales but even so, you may well be right Paul.

Hey, stop bringing me down Mr Heavy Man.

_40248987_neil2bbcok.jpg

There should be an undecided poll option. I think he is a talented player with great technique and better than what we currently have on the right but like previously mentioned in this thread Wenger is a great judge of players and he does lack pace so we could do a lot better. The fact that he's English and in the news often lately means he would be well overpriced.

There should be an undecided poll option. I think he is a talented player with great technique and better than what we currently have on the right but like previously mentioned in this thread Wenger is a great judge of players and he does lack pace so we could do a lot better. The fact that he's English and in the news often lately means he would be well overpriced.

Is he, or is it his network of scouts though?

I cant believe Benitez is even considering this piece of shit, if correct!

He got in Crouch, Bellamy and Zenden too.... he always seems to go for one Premiership Flavour of the Month. We were linked with Prutton once and more recently Cattermole.

My opinion? - David Bentley has improved incredibly since his AFC days and is now probably the best English player available. I bet Wenger regrets letting him go - but at the time they had so much strength in depth and DB had little chance of getting a game so it made sense and also it did not seem likely that he would improve to the standard he is now. He also plays in a postion where we have needs so I am more than happy for Rafa to make enquiries. TBH I fully expect him to leave BRFC this summer for a 'bigger' club but that is unlikely to be us as we will be priced out of it - sadly!! Those calling him shit and similar obviously have not watched him lately - he is a class act and these days almost always BRFCs best player. I had no hesitation in voting yes but my biggest reservation is the price - being English BRFC will probably ask say 20-25m and no way should we pay that given our budget but up to 15m if we could get him - great I say.

My summer 'wish list' = him (or a similar standard foreign player), Villa from Valencia and another full back - Bridge? (danger of being overpriced there too) or someone from abroad - but not Heinze as he is rubbish.

My opinion? - David Bentley has improved incredibly since his AFC days and is now probably the best English player available. I bet Wenger regrets letting him go - but at the time they had so much strength in depth and DB had little chance of getting a game so it made sense and also it did not seem likely that he would improve to the standard he is now. He also plays in a postion where we have needs so I am more than happy for Rafa to make enquiries. TBH I fully expect him to leave BRFC this summer for a 'bigger' club but that is unlikely to be us as we will be priced out of it - sadly!! Those calling him shit and similar obviously have not watched him lately - he is a class act and these days almost always BRFCs best player. I had no hesitation in voting yes but my biggest reservation is the price - being English BRFC will probably ask say 20-25m and no way should we pay that given our budget but up to 15m if we could get him - great I say.

My summer 'wish list' = him (or a similar standard foreign player), Villa from Valencia and another full back - Bridge? (danger of being overpriced there too) or someone from abroad - but not Heinze as he is rubbish.

I've got a feeling Bentley will sign (providing rafa is still here) and Pennant will end up at Blackburn. Bentley showed last summer that he is very single minded and focused.

Would Bentley fit the role Dirk plays now? That's what we need.

I'm not sure he scores enough goals or has enough pace/trickery to occupy that role long term. I'm also loath to question Wenger's judgement on a youth player; we made that mistake with Pennant

He's no better than Pennent IMO, who also had a very good season with an average team just before we signed him.

No he's far better than Pennant has ever been or is ever likely to be - the suggestion of a swap with BRFC Bentley for Pennant (presumably with a cash adjustment in their favour) which has been mentioned in this thread is very attractive to me but whether it would be as attractive to Mark Hughes is another matter.

No he's far better than Pennant has ever been or is ever likely to be - the suggestion of a swap with BRFC Bentley for Pennant (presumably with a cash adjustment in their favour) which has been mentioned in this thread is very attractive to me but whether it would be as attractive to Mark Hughes is another matter.

Probably not, but Bentley is a very single minded and ambitious person and if he wants to go then there is every chance that he will move on.

I think he would be a great addition as he has now proven himself at Premiership level and can score and create goals as well as provide a threat with his set pieces.