You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

dave u

He's a cautionary tale, not just for football but for life. The man who dumps his loving wife and kids for the office floozy, who makes him get a Tony and Guy haircut and buy a second hand Lotus. Six months later he's on his own again living in a flat above pizza hut, looking at family photos on his phone and drinking Kirov vodka.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

He went to Chelsea. Fuck him. 

I dunno. Probably a great lad and definitely had his reasons. I wish he fucked off somewhere else though. 

This. I get the fact a player's career is short and they want to win things but going to chelsea? Would he have moved to Real from Atleti?

The "big club" line may have been a similar situation to Moyes first Everton press conference when Kenwright clearly told him to come up with that "peoples club" nonsense to curry favour with the fans. However, the fact is that he said it, and i've never forgiven him for it. 

18 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Just watched his documentary on Prime Video.

Superb watch for anyone that hasn't seen it.

I can see that bumping this thread has started the same old debates.

I couldn't be fucked to watch any shite ropey league games yesterday and spotted this on Amazon Video while looking for something to watch and thought fuck it, I'm going to watch it, mainly as I loved him to bits when he was here. I didn't previously have any intention of watching it after hearing about it last month.

As my post above says, was a fascinating watch, particularly him growing up and him being idolised by Atleti fans. He also loved Atleti to bits, which you could see when he was pining to return before he eventually made it back there. Also the huge influence that Aragones had on him and his career in terms of a father figure and then what lead to him joining us. The documentatary also had Rafa, Stevie, Mourinho and Simeone.

Getting back to Atleti, they were always his first love. He was never going to hold us in the same terms of his affection. I don't really hold it against him leaving us given the mess we were in at the time, even if it was to rent boy cunts.

3 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I can see that bumping this thread has started the same old debates.

I couldn't be fucked to watch any shite ropey league games yesterday and spotted this on Amazon Video while looking for something to watch and thought fuck it, I'm going to watch it, mainly as I loved him to bits when he was here. I didn't previously have any intention of watching it after hearing about it last month.

As my post above says, was a fascinating watch, particularly him growing up and him being idolised by Atleti fans. He also loved Atleti to bits, which you could see when he was pining to return before he eventually made it back there. Also the huge influence that Aragones had on him and his career in terms of a father figure and then what lead to him joining us. The documentatary also had Rafa, Stevie, Mourinho and Simeone.

Getting back to Atleti, they were always his first love. He was never going to hold us in the same terms of his affection. I don't really hold it against him leaving us given the mess we were in at the time, even if it was to rent boy cunts.

This and then some

was devastated when he left, the fact he went to them lot, and we spunked most of the money on Carroll!!

the fact he went to shit for them and missed that sitter against the mancs was a bit of a softener.

i bear no grudges and I’d quite like to see him rock up at Anfield in one of those legends matches, Reckon he’d be like agger and kuyt leaving you thinking even now he could still do a job in the first team

On 19/09/2020 at 12:07, Alex_K said:

He had definitely lost a yard of pace, and that was a large part of his magic.

Over a medium to long distance, Torres was never the fastest. But over 10 yards or so, nobody was faster. Incredible turn of pace.

On 20/09/2020 at 01:18, Aventus said:

Grass is rarely greener than at Anfield. 

Well, he did win everything at Chelsea so not convinced about that. He’d only have won a League Cup staying with us. I know that period personally wasn’t great for him, but would he have been any better staying with us?

On 19/09/2020 at 12:16, Section_31 said:

Something changed with Torres, it wasn't simply a case of just wanting a move, he seemed like he changed as a man and has never come across the same as he did when he was here, when he seemed irrepressible, always smiling, care free. Ever since and still now, he seems bleak, fed up. He comes across as someone who's gone through some kind of really traumatic life event. 

I think that after he left us, his teams biggest moments passed him by.

2010 - Spain win the World Cup. He’s not blatantly not fit the entire tournament and goes off injured in the final.

2010/11 - Left us, didn’t settle at Chelsea.

2012 - Granted, scored the clincher in the Nou Camp, then won the Champions League & FA Cup. Didn’t start either final. Didn’t get on a Wembley & threw a hissy fit when wasn’t allowed to take a pen in Munich. Won the Euros with Spain but, again, not a starter.

2013 - Scored the winner in the EL Final. Scored 22 goals in 66 games. A decent return but well short of his best ratio for us.

2014 - Binned off to AC Milan on loan where he contributed next to nothing.

...from being “the man” at us, to being an overlooked, injury prone, squad player, must have been hard to swallow.