You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

dave u

That was the one where he raked his studs down the back of Nando's calf was it not? Did we even get a free-kick for that?

El nino a big doubt for Sunday by all accounts and this treatment coming from a side whose manager's ugly gob was plastered all over the papers calling for protection for skilled players!!!

The FA talks about respecting referees well my belief is that respect is earned and Bennet's poor performance on Sunday has been pushed aside and disregarded in favour of hammering Masch. Bennet will never have the respect of players or managers alike.

• 12 years later...
13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This is a brilliant interview. It doesn't quite rehabilitate him in my eyes, but you can feel the guy's pain and disappointment about that time in his life. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/fernando-torres-interview-liverpool-amazon-prime-last-symbol-b484147.html

Good read. Unlike Owen and Suarez, Torres is genuinely a nice lad and he's sincere when he says it was a tough decision to leave. I wasn't torn up about those two leaving but Torres leaving hurt. In hindsight and being objective he made the right decision to quit - the club was in a mess with Hicks and Gillet and which top player would tolerate playing under Hodgson? Chelsea were the wrong club to go to and the exit could have been handled better but I think I forgive him now.

• Upvote 1

Can't hate on the lad. They were incredibly bleak times at the club, and he'd just seen all the best talent and his closest mates leave, so it's understandable he wanted a change. Plus we replaced him with an arguably better player, anyway (or at least one still on the way up). Seems petty to still hold a grudge against him.

The interesting thing in that interview is that he appears to confirm his decline was more psychological than physical. Remember reading some quotes from the physios of the Spanish team around the time he was struggling saying they thought he was completely healthy with no underlying problems, and just lacked his old confidence.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Can't hate on the lad. They were incredibly bleak times at the club, and he'd just seen all the best talent and his closest mates leave, so it's understandable he wanted a change. Plus we replaced him with an arguably better player, anyway (or at least one still on the way up). Seems petty to still hold a grudge against him.

The interesting thing in that interview is that he appears to confirm his decline was more psychological than physical. Remember reading some quotes from the physios of the Spanish team around the time he was struggling saying they thought he was completely healthy with no underlying problems, and just lacked his old confidence.

He had definitely lost a yard of pace, and that was a large part of his magic.

14 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Good read. Unlike Owen and Suarez, Torres is genuinely a nice lad and he's sincere when he says it was a tough decision to leave. I wasn't torn up about those two leaving but Torres leaving hurt. In hindsight and being objective he made the right decision to quit - the club was in a mess with Hicks and Gillet and which top player would tolerate playing under Hodgson? Chelsea were the wrong club to go to and the exit could have been handled better but I think I forgive him now.

I understand him wanting to leave, but the way he did it was horrible. 

Just wish he'd decided to stick it out til the end of the season.

Something changed with Torres, it wasn't simply a case of just wanting a move, he seemed like he changed as a man and has never come across the same as he did when he was here, when he seemed irrepressible, always smiling, care free. Ever since and still now, he seems bleak, fed up. He comes across as someone who's gone through some kind of really traumatic life event. 

I loved him though, he was up there with Rush and Fowler for me, I've never felt that bothered about any others who've left, suarez etc, dunno why, maybe it's because he was a classic number 9 like a fowler or a shearer and every kid grew up wanting to be one of those.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

According to those physios he'd made a full recovery and there was no reason he couldn't recapture his best form.

Sure - except Torres had clearly lost a yard of pace. It was like night and day.

Physios and training teams constantly come out with "he's back & in the best condition of his life" trope to protect the athlete. In boxing it often precedes a KO loss. Fernando Torres had two knee operations during the period & missed about 6 months through various muscle & thigh injuries having never really been injured before that. You don't go through those kind of operations & injuries and come out the other side in the same pristine condition. His body just didn't hold up - hence Benitez rotating him so regularly.

In hindsight it was a little bit insane how we used him. He was basically a one-man-up-front battering ram. Its no surprise he faded so quickly given the treatment he got from most defences. See: Vidic / Bikey & that ilk scything through him on a weekly basis. Never had the quality of players around him to take the load off. Surprised he's not more bitter to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Sure - except Torres had clearly lost a yard of pace. It was like night and day.

Physios and training teams constantly come out with "he's back & in the best condition of his life" trope to protect the athlete. In boxing it often precedes a KO loss. Fernando Torres had two knee operations during the period & missed about 6 months through various muscle & thigh injuries having never really been injured before that. You don't go through those kind of operations & injuries and come out the other side in the same pristine condition. His body just didn't hold up - hence Benitez rotating him so regularly.

OK, but the physios were implying he didn't trust his body, so if there was a loss of pace, it was down to that, rather than his body not being up to it.

Its always easy at the end of their career to say 'I regretted it' but he was a greedy mercenary twat,like most pro footballers these days. Cut the bollocks and admit you wanted to leave because you would be drowning in cash for the rest of your life,just be honest at least. Footballers are mostly cunts so its not worth caring too much about them.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its always easy at the end of their career to say 'I regretted it' but he was a greedy mercenary twat,like most pro footballers these days. Cut the bollocks and admit you wanted to leave because you would be drowning in cash for the rest of your life,just be honest at least. Footballers are mostly cunts so its not worth caring too much about them.

Well at least it might act as a warning to players that might want to leave here in the future. 

Grass is rarely greener than at Anfield. 

He cost me two new fucking shirts. A Spain and Liverpool top. Fucking just bought them at the airport for my nephew. Landing 11 hours later and the fucker was gone. 

I can't fault him for leaving these days. We were a shambles back then. But it hurt like hell at the time. But unlike Owen and Mcmoneyman I have no hatred towards him. Brilliant footballer on his best days, I think also some part of me not disliking is probably to do with his huge downgrade in ability already before he left and especially after.

Still have one of the best songs ever sung at Anfield. Shame it doesn't get rolled out once in a while, but understandable.

• 1 month later...