You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Drums, drumming and songs with drums

hamstrung

4 minutes ago, Juniper said:

When my daughter starts drumming I’ll give her a clip round the ear for two reasons if she did a video like that. 

1. Needs more clothes on.

2. Did a drum/ cover - hate the bloody things. 

She's drumming?

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

When my daughter starts drumming I’ll give her a clip round the ear for two reasons if she did a video like that. 

1. Needs more clothes on.

2. Did a drum cover - hate the bloody things. 

Couldn't agree more.

If you want to be a drummer, play the drums and leave the modelling stuff for another day.

On the cover versions, the internet seems to have spawned this monster & I find it highly irritating. Learn stuff note for note in the privacy of your practice room & post the videos when you've worked out something creative of you own.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Mook said:

Couldn't agree more.

If you want to be a drummer, play the drums and leave the modelling stuff for another day.

On the cover versions, the internet seems to have spawned this monster & I find it highly irritating. Learn stuff note for note in the privacy of your practice room & post the videos when you've worked out something creative of you own.

Yep, can't stand it.

Nothing less impressive than seeing someone playing parts that someone else has created, all to fancy lighting and YouTube video intros. It's the lowest form of the craft currently and I've got no time for it at all.

On the clothes thing I feel the same way with male drummers who play shirtless.

Put some chuffing clothes on, learn some musicianship and try and get the respect of your peers and the community. That's what it's all about rather than soon becoming someone that's known for what they do/don't wear.

Without wanting to sound like a snob I read all the trade magazines/use most of the forums and I've never heard of this girl, despite her having 1.8million subscribers!

Absolute nonsense

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Have to say I find traditional Indian music, Bangla is it called with the rythmic drumming to be quite mesmeric? Cant stand the loud crash, bang,wallop you get in heavy metal and the like.

Vid's a bit long but gives you a taste.

Check Zakir Hussain out, he's superhuman...

• Upvote 1

Try "You Take The High Road" live by (now defunct) Runrig.  Saw them twice and Ian Bayne was brilliant. At one point all band members played a drum each in  one set.

Or .... Won't Get Fooled Again (live)

or ... Toccata and Fugue in D minor by John Williams and Sky

b7753-AQ2_1up1down_ASB__right_side_view.png

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Gotta disagree with Nick Mason there

Always blame the singer or lead guitarist, even if it makes no sense. 

Aye, I sent that to a bassist pal & said I would always blame the guitarist.

Still mildly amusing though.

Still listening to Secret Agent a lot by the way, thanks to your recommendation.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, I sent that to a bassist pal & said I would always blame the guitarist.

Still mildly amusing though.

Still listening to Secret Agent a lot by the way, thanks to your recommendation.

Ah nice mate, it’s a great album isn’t it.

‘Lagos No Shaking’ is also a good album to check out. Different vibe to Secret Agent but tons of feel from Tony Allen, as you’d expect.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Juniper said:

Ah nice mate, it’s a great album isn’t it.

‘Lagos No Shaking’ is also a good album to check out. Different vibe to Secret Agent but tons of feel from Tony Allen, as you’d expect.

Aye, I know that one & it's superb.

I'd forgotten about Secret Agent for a month or two & when I went back to it, it sounded even better than I'd remembered.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...