You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gave up early December, willpower alone. Have managed 8 months before now so still got a way to go. Miss them every now and then, especially after that first pint or bevy on a Friday after a week of rush hour and teaching little gobshites.

Good luck to anyone who is giving up, it's a fucking hard thing to do. To those that do smoke and avoid the health risks:-

'You, lucky, lucky bastards'

I'm a failure. I've got a wee bit squiffy tonight and smoked, but I'll be back to the grindstone in the morning. Sorry :(

HURRAH! Welcome back SKI! What sort of cigarette was it? The great thing about being in the giving up stage is that you get to try out brands you normally never would as you become an OP smoker.

I'm a failure. I've got a wee bit squiffy tonight and smoked, but I'll be back to the grindstone in the morning. Sorry :(

That's the problem with birds, no fucking will power.

Try patches, they work combined with will power and actually wanting to give up helps as well.

So that was three days on from starting this thread, and it's now been four days since you cracked. How have you got on second time round?

Start again then but beat last times 'record'. Don't drink for 2 weeks neither. Yes, you'll be bored but its all about habit.

I did the same on Saturday, but I'm back on the wagon now. I think not drinking is the answer. I'm losing my will to live.

Did I mumble?

Start again then but beat last times 'record'.

That's a good suggestion from Thants Liz. If you're really finding it difficult to stop you can always aim for your existing personal best plus one day, and allow yourself a few cigarettes on the day after that, or even for a few days (decide in advance though how many days you'll let yourself smoke for, and stick to it). After that you can stop again and try to extend your record. You'll need a lot of willpower to stop again, but that approach will give you a sense of achievement and pride rather than a sense of guilt.

A lot of people will say that if you're going to give up you have to give up full stop, but that doesn't work for everyone. I know a few people who've given up using the method above. When I stopped the first time, I didn't say "this will be my last cigarette ever" - I told myself I'd go for a week without one and then allow myself another one. It so happened that after a week had passed, I felt so much better and was so pleased with myself that I had the incentive to keep going, and in the end my abstinence lasted for 8 months.

The idea that you'll never be able to smoke a cigarette again is the hardest thing to get past when you're trying to give up. If you can remove that pressure you've got more chance of extending the periods that you go without a smoke, and as you do that your body will gradually get used to coping without cigarettes for longer and longer periods in one go.

Have you tried an inhaler yet by the way?

I did the same on Saturday, but I'm back on the wagon now. I think not drinking is the answer. I'm losing my will to live.

I have exactly the same problem. Everytime I go out I smoke but when I'm sober I never want a cig. I've just accepted that I'm a social smoker now, it's easier that way. Or I'll just have to dump my mates and find new ones who don't smoke.

Women that smoke turn me off instantly. It looks disgusting, they smell rough and I instantly think less of them. It also ages them and makes their fingers turn yellow.

Makes you look like a skank.

It's irrelevant. This time next week I'll have no uterus, and be redundant as a female. I'll never have a sex drive again again anyway, so attracting men will be the least of my worries.

It's irrelevant. This time next week I'll have no uterus, and be redundant as a female. I'll never have a sex drive again again anyway, so attracting men will be the least of my worries.
Don't act like what I think of you isn't the single most important thing to you in life.

How about this for a motivator: If you smoke again, no Mangina.

Don't act like what I think of you isn't the single most important thing to you in life.

How about this for a motivator: If you smoke again, no Mangina.

I'm old and haggard enough to know when I'm being led on. If you thought anything of me, you'd have had it out by now. I bet the thing has healed up. I wanted to see it in all its pussy, stuffed-with-packing glory.

I gave up smoking on Wednesday, I don’t know what made me give up but a week before I just thought that’s enough now. It wasn’t a financial thing for me as my best mate travels aboard a lot and always picked up duty free fags for me, so the most I ever paid was £20 for 200… To be honest, I thought it would have been a lot harder than it has been… I’ve wanted a fag a couple of times in the last 3 days but every time I have wanted one, I’ve kept a full packet at home and had a smell of the fags and they smell disgusting. I’m really determined to give up and can’t see me going back to fags now…

Here’s a picture of a woman who had lung cancer…… I’d rather put on weight than be cut open like that….

KimScar.JPG

I just got out of hospital this week after a brief flirtation with illness and severe pain. On the day I got out, they brough in a lad about my age and put him in the bed next to mine. He actually looked alright, as in not very ill at all. I listened to them go through the usual questions with him and it turns out that he drank very little, didn't smoke, went to the gym three times a week, and was in generally tip top shape. He was in there because on his way back from the gym that evening, he'd felt a sharp pain across his chest which had shot across his arm and scared the bejays out of him. They went off, did a few tests, came back and told him he'd had a heart attack.

We all gotta go. Denying yourself the few pleasures in life in the hope that you will delay the inevitable is reducing the quality of whatever time you have and not even necessarily increasing the duration of it.

I'm nipping out for a Friday cig.