You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa and Hicks an unlikely alliance ?

Dougie Do'ins

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benitiz must know that he would be out of a job if DIC take over.

And why would he be sacked if DIC take over? This is just speculation. I belive he will be manager for Liverpool FC for a long time no mather who our owners are. He is the best!

Listen hear, sonny. One does the counting round here.

:eek: royalty check is in the post, Undead One.

(next time, I'll stick to roman numerals! :whistle: )

Absolute biased bollocks to the endth degree as usual isr.

Mate, my (unashamed) bias is to LFC, not any one individual.

I've been following Liverpool since they played excellently (but lost) in the 78 League Cup final replay against Forest. I've seen great managers come ... and go. I've seen playing legends opt to leave (Souey, Rush). I've even seen (arguably) our greatest (Kenny) stumble as a manager in his final year (David Speedie??), and another playing legend (Souey) drag us from Kings to also-rans.

I'm not a "see no evil" Rafa-lover, but I'm also not blind to the mans qualities. Everyone makes mistakes, as has Rafa (and Paisley, Fagan, Kenny et al before him). But I'm not prepared to turn my back on the man who has brought genuine, old-fashioned, 70's 80's and 90's style pride back to this particular Liverpool fan.

Nor am I prepared to ascribe nefarious notions to him, based on - well - nothing. I prefer to give things a little more thought before publically proclaiming what Rafa's stance is on the price of bread, etc, etc.

The previous offer still stands. I have no "inside info". If I'm completely off base with the points I raised in my original post, please let me know where.

PS: if you want to go around pretending you know me, and what I'm all about ("as usual, isr" ??), then you might as well use my proper name, seeing as how I use yours. The names Imran. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

:eek: royalty check is in the post, Undead One.

(next time, I'll stick to roman numerals! :whistle: )

Mate, my (unashamed) bias is to LFC, not any one individual.

I've been following Liverpool since they played excellently (but lost) in the 78 League Cup final replay against Forest. I've seen great managers come ... and go. I've seen playing legends opt to leave (Souey, Rush). I've even seen (arguably) our greatest (Kenny) stumble as a manager in his final year (David Speedie??), and another playing legend (Souey) drag us from Kings to also-rans.

I'm not a "see no evil" Rafa-lover, but I'm also not blind to the mans qualities. Everyone makes mistakes, as has Rafa (and Paisley, Fagan, Kenny et al before him). But I'm not prepared to turn my back on the man who has brought genuine, old-fashioned, 70's 80's and 90's style pride back to this particular Liverpool fan.

Nor am I prepared to ascribe nefarious notions to him, based on - well - nothing. I prefer to give things a little more thought before publically proclaiming what Rafa's stance is on the price of bread, etc, etc.

The previous offer still stands. I have no "inside info". If I'm completely off base with the points I raised in my original post, please let me know where.

PS: if you want to go around pretending you know me, and what I'm all about ("as usual, isr" ??), then you might as well use my proper name, seeing as how I use yours. The names Imran. Pleased to make your acquaintance.

Nice one Imran.

I thought your original post was full of passion, full of insight but heavily loaded into detail towards one man.

Last night though we saw what many of us wanted, good football, attacking a team not as good as us, hardly any rotation and "most" players in their positions. Whether we return to the status quo next season only Rafa knows but nobody has anything personal towards him.

Yeah, the Rafa Can Do No Wrong brigade have been twisting themselves into fucking knots trying to square all this away without crticising Benitez.

It's fucking hilarious to watch.

"Yeah, he said all that to expose those Yank cunts nice one Rafa!"

"He's playing this brilliantly, he's only grovelling apologies to get more cash!"

"He knows those Yank cunts wanted Klinsmann, he's a genius at PR!"

"Oh, he knows DIC are taking over, it's only a matter of time!"

"Yeah, he's pretending to be Hick's mate and publically supporting him because...er....because, hang on...er, shit."

and what do you call yourself...?

the Rafa out out out brigade :whistle:

Nice one Imran.

I thought your original post was full of passion, full of insight but heavily loaded into detail towards one man.

Last night though we saw what many of us wanted, good football, attacking a team not as good as us, hardly any rotation and "most" players in their positions. Whether we return to the status quo next season only Rafa knows but nobody has anything personal towards him.

Your such a fuckin kiss arse.

Power play takes twist

CAN things get any weirder?

It’s Liverpool 2008; of course they can. The previous situation wasn’t ideal but at least you knew where you stood.

Benitez or Hicks. Pick a side, no middle ground and no conscientious objectors. A fight to the death, we were told.

So what are we to make of the manager’s newly-discovered camaraderie with his nemesis? Look, I don’t like being cynical, I really don’t, but the idea of Hicks sending ‘supportive’ e-mails to Rafa is bizarre.

It will be interesting to see how the club’s various rebel factions take this news, especially as it comes at a time when the Texan’s position was beginning to wobble slightly.

His son’s reception in Anfield’s most famous drinking establishment (think Christians and Lions) could scarcely be misinterpreted as ‘high spirits’ whilst claiming Gillett couldn’t sell to Dubai without his approval sounded like sabre-rattling.

So if Rafa finally had the enemy on the ropes what’s with the public bonhomie? What does he know that we don’t?

Also, why tell people he doesn’t speak to either Gillett or his son who have both seemingly vanished off the face of the earth? One newspaper claimed it was Gillett who initially approached Klinsmann and that his partner was ‘only’ guilty of a misguided public confession. “Aw shucks, I sure is sorreeee”.

The popular Mascherano is finally delivered, taking our so-called inadequate spending to around €70million in less than a year. Form is returning gradually — Barnsley? Never heard of them — and the manager, previously thought to be dead meat on a hook, now sounds contented. Are we all really that shallow? Or is it just that in the wacky world of LFC anything can be reported and believed?

Gerrard gave the ‘not good enough’ speech that’s been dusted off for most of the last 18 years. I recall similar elegies from Jamie Redknapp in the 90’s. The faces change but the platitudes linger.

Needless to say this was twisted into open warfare between captain and manager.

Carragher said virtually the same thing before and no one blinked, but a story linking him to a move would spin twice and then lie embarrassingly flat on the ground.

To complete the circle of deceit, up pops the obligatory hijack bid from Real Madrid — for the manager and the captain this time.

One day I’ll keep all the cuttings in a folder and cross-reference, I’m sure they’re all recycled word for word.

The comfortable win at Bolton proved we’re serious about fourth spot. Which is reassuring, since it’s apparent Everton and Villa are no flash in the pan.

For years a seat on the gravy train has been reserved for us, third or fourth class usually. Everyone conveniently stepped aside to let us through no matter how poor we were.

It helps recently that the luck has changed. Red cards here, misplaced back passes there. A keeper deflecting a shot in with his face is a new one.

There was something missing on Sunday. Bolton complain as much, dive as much, base their game plan on set pieces as per — but it lacked the sprinkling of spite we’ve come to expect.

Allardyce took his poisonous attitude toward Benitez with him, and this no longer felt like a grudge match.

Torres played like Rafa had frightened him beforehand. He clearly expected to be set upon, and never got it together once he realised he’d been spared the worst. Blood usually spills at this most soulless of bowls.

He wasn’t needed in the end. Babel threatened often, which hasn’t always been the case when he’s started games.

It felt like the earlier aways, when a lead was the catalyst for swift intelligent counterattack, the likes of which we’ve rarely seen since.

Maybe we’re going to finish like we started. In this most unstable of seasons, expect the unexpected.

try not to post on here much, prefer to view from the outside and avoid knee-jerkers and the rafa-out brigade.

for what i think it's worth...

rafa is uber-settled here, and so that is obviously playing a massive part in him wanting to stay despite any costs. in this respect, both he and his wife are a part of their local community (if it's possible to be in a 'community' when you live in the biggest house in the wirral!) - she is a member of their local golf club, their children speak english and they all engage in their local community in different ways.

however...i don't doubt that rafa is a man of great integrity and is doing what he believes will be best for the football club - and there doesn't seem to be many of them about at the minute. if this means 'playing' hicks - and is doing so in what he believes is in the club's best interests - then i believe he would do it irrespective of his family's settled position and even if it meant he lost his job in doing so.

sure this doesn't help anyone one bit.

• 1 month later...
Sorry to bump this.

I am amazed it taken this long for todays events to arrive.

If and when Parry goes its only a mater of time before Rafa falls out with Hicks again.

The clock is ticking on Rafas future at the club once again.

You're just talking shit. It could turn out that you are right, but at the moment that's just shit. You make it sound like Parry was an amazingly effective mediator or something.

You're just talking shit. It could turn out that you are right, but at the moment that's just shit. You make it sound like Parry was an amazingly effective mediator or something.
Not at all Parry was the instigator.

You honestly believe Hicks and Rafa are going to live happily ever after.

You call it shite I call it an educated guess.

Only time will tell.

So how does Parry's departure change anything, except to maybe reduce the chances of a future falling out?
Because if Parry goes the next person Rafa goes to war with is Hicks.

As soon as the transfer kitty drys up the finger pointing starts again and if Hicks has full control of the club I don't expect Rafa to be the victor next time.

And there will be a next time.

Please feel free to give your opinion on this sorry mess where in.

Rafa has formed an alliance with Hicks and Ian Ayre. In the other camp you have Parry, Moores and DIC.

The whole thing turns my stomach, I'm sick of the lot of them.

Dont you think its a little bit more serious than that and the implications are quite bad

Rafa should stick to managing

• 1 year later...