You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancelling Sky

Guest PaddyBerger15

I was thinking of doing that very thing also SP. If you do get in touch with them threatening to cancel, can you let me know how it went mate please. I'm paying 38 nicker a month and to be honest, if they don't offer me some incentive to stay on, I'm thinking of gibbing it aswell.

Not been offered a deal, but years ago I rang Sky to cancel the TV, but they couldn't because the account wasn't in my name. I explained to the bloke that my ex had moved out, and we weren't in contact so I couldn't get him to cancel it himself.

So the bloke starts asking me about the split, and went on to explain that his wife had left him for another bloke the week before. He started crying, like proper sobbing down the phone and I ended up having to stay on the phone for over an hour talking to him till he felt better. He was like a cockney Bobby Chariot. It was bizarre.

Be warned, Sky employees = mentalists.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Not been offered a deal, but years ago I rang Sky to cancel the TV, but they couldn't because the account wasn't in my name. I explained to the bloke that my ex had moved out, and we weren't in contact so I couldn't get him to cancel it himself.

So the bloke starts asking me about the split, and went on to explain that his wife had left him for another bloke the week before. He started crying, like proper sobbing down the phone and I ended up having to stay on the phone for over an hour talking to him till he felt better. He was like a cockney Bobby Chariot. It was bizarre.

Be warned, Sky employees = mentalists.

For whatever reason, you seem to attract over emotional, flouncing, metallists like a magnet.

Yes, you are almost guaranteed to get a better deal. You'll be put through to 'customer retention' but you have to make it clear that you want to cancel, not thinking about cancelling, not thinking about changing package. You want to cancel.

Then they will offer you something... its at this point where you're allowed to negotiate. But remember - you always want to cancel. If you find you're getting a shitty deal then tell them you want to 'think about their offer' and hang up. Then just call back later and try again.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Really handy article from someone that used to work in the call centre. Tells you about which day of the week or which month to call so you get the best deals from the stooges that work there.

Sky Insiders Note...

Thats a really useful link that mate, nice one. I'll get on the case and sort it out....now..does anybody know the number you have to ring to threaten to cancel the fucker?

I used to manage a team of CSAs working on the Sky contract at a god-fucking-awful place called Ventura in Leeds. I walked out after being told by HR that I couldn't sack a girl in my team for taking photographs of customer credit card details on her phone as we'd be 'undermanned and subject to financial penalties.' Fucking scum, Ventura.

Sky will always, always give you a deal. What the clever cunt who published that article doesn't realise is that by writing his article he'll have immediately have affected the number of offers available. Every man and his dog will now be on the phone trying to 'cancel' and the operators are always made aware of such articles and will be witholding deals as much as possible.

My advice is that £40 a month is value for money. I'd advise that you enjoy it and try writing to Mr Kipling and Yorkshire Tea for free cake and biscuits.

I just got half price for three month. We have the full hit Sky+ Multi room HD Movies and sport. 50 odd quid a month.

I phone to cancel the lot. I did genuinely want rid. The bloke said he used to come to where I lived for his holidays when he was a kid and was on the phone for about 1/2 an hour talking about his memories. Gave me the deal because he was treated well by the people of our town.

Just goes to show. Be welcoming to visitors now and you may get cheap telly in the future.

I just got half price for three month. We have the full hit Sky+ Multi room HD Movies and sport. 50 odd quid a month.

I phone to cancel the lot. I did genuinely want rid. The bloke said he used to come to where I lived for his holidays when he was a kid and was on the phone for about 1/2 an hour talking about his memories. Gave me the deal because he was treated well by the people of our town.

Just goes to show. Be welcoming to visitors now and you may get cheap telly in the future.

I really hope that when Paddy trys to cancel he gets the same fella, who tells exactly the same story.

I'm not in a Virgin area and when i called up to cancel they just said "OK we'll send the cancellation notice through'. I went through all the usual stuff and came out with nothing! I reckon they know in areas where Virgin isn't available there is no other choice so have a stricter stance on offering deals

• 8 months later...
I used to manage a team of CSAs working on the Sky contract at a god-fucking-awful place called Ventura in Leeds. I walked out after being told by HR that I couldn't sack a girl in my team for taking photographs of customer credit card details on her phone as we'd be 'undermanned and subject to financial penalties.' Fucking scum, Ventura.

Sky will always, always give you a deal. What the clever cunt who published that article doesn't realise is that by writing his article he'll have immediately have affected the number of offers available. Every man and his dog will now be on the phone trying to 'cancel' and the operators are always made aware of such articles and will be witholding deals as much as possible.

My advice is that £40 a month is value for money. I'd advise that you enjoy it and try writing to Mr Kipling and Yorkshire Tea for free cake and biscuits.

Dont know why i am raking up this thread, other than to say i also worked for a short while (9 weeks) at Ventura in Leeds, but for Northern Rock selling loans. During the 8 week training period, i got upset when the whole lot of us were accused of cheating in a test because one fucking moron coulnt pass it and threw a hissy fit.

I explained to our delightful trainer that I had already graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering and was at the time studying for a masters, and that being accused of cheating in a test where the hardest part was remembering your own name, was a little insulting and that i would not be wasting my time to stay behind to sit the test again.

Her response was to tell me that she saw potential in me and that she felt one day i could make a team manager there. Without that confidence boost, i doubt i would ever have made anything of my life.

I dont have sky though, so quite why i was reading this thread from months back is a question that might need to be asked.