You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What reception will you give Owen?

Kevin D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good Stuart, but how much did he bring into the club? Not that easy to calculate, but I'm sure it would be more than he diddled us out of.

Even if you do see him as this one-man team who defeated teams on his own without the need for Paddy Berger to pick him out or Hyypia to keep them out at the other end, it still doesn't mean he deserves special dispensation for doing us out of millions; he was a player, it was his job to play well. I presume that there was an arrangement that he'd try and score goals for us if we kept paying him millions every year and plenty in goal bonus', or am I being crazy?

Henchoz just called, he wants the prize money from the FA Cup final.

Even if you do see him as this one-man team who defeated teams on his own without the need for Paddy Berger to pick him out or Hyypia to keep them out at the other end, it still doesn't mean he deserves special dispensation for doing us out of millions; he was a player, it was his job to play well. I presume that there was an arrangement that he'd try and score goals for us if we kept paying him millions every year and plenty in goal bonus', or am I being crazy?

Henchoz just called, he wants the prize money from the FA Cup final.

Henchoz should get double really, as he played in goal as well as centre half.

He should get what he deserves - polite acknowledgment in that he was once a LFC player, ridicule that his ego and greed led him to make such bad career moves, pity that he plays for Newcastle and frank acknowledgment that he has been no more than a journeyman even since he left the cocoon Houllier created for him where the team was designed to help him achieve the only thing he really cared about - his goal scoring totals, complete with penalties, or at least the 50% penalties he actually succeeded with.

Thats it then - thats the chant.

Polite applause, followed by "boo, you backstabber", then "aww, you poor thing", ended with a raucaus rendition of "who the feck are ya?".

Now, can someone put this in lyrics please?

They were sold,that cunt left for nothing but money,and had strung everybody along as well.

Already sorted his move to Real 6 months before. In the same bracket as Mcmanamann and Keegan.

Keegan made no secret of leaving whereas McMananmanan really strung us along.

As for Owen, not his fault his agent went on a 18 month world cruise...

OWEN was a top player for Liverpool. He should have showed more commitment to the Benitez era but I dont agree with slagging him off. He was a young lad when he left and he made a mistake and im sure he would admit it.

Rush made that same mistake when he went to italy the only difference being Rush got the opportunity to come back and Rush played in a stronger Liverpool team. Do you slag Ian Rush off, nah didnt think so.

A fuckin decent one, at one time when we are at are boring worst under Houllier we used to walk the game dying to see Michael Owen on song, its bullshit he didn't care about us, his pre-occupation with England was gotten worse since he lefy Anfield and if you see him interviewed he's obviously gutted he ever left...

You seem to forget after he shit on us by going real.Then issued come and get me plea to Rafa.So what doe's the little shit do only shit on us again by joining the barcodes for more money.

OWEN was a top player for Liverpool. He should have showed more commitment to the Benitez era but I dont agree with slagging him off. He was a young lad when he left and he made a mistake and im sure he would admit it.

Rush made that same mistake when he went to italy the only difference being Rush got the opportunity to come back and Rush played in a stronger Liverpool team. Do you slag Ian Rush off, nah didnt think so.

He did have the chance to comeback though only to shit on us again an join the barcodes.

To even mention Owen in same breath as Rush makes my blood boil.Rush had made it public knowledge he wanted to play abroad.Owen stalled and stalled on new contract,then as soon as Real came in off he went for peanuts.Rush came straight back as soon as he could and even came of the bench to score twice against the blueshite at wembley.

To even mention Owen in same breath as Rush makes my blood boil.Rush had made it public knowledge he wanted to play abroad.Owen stalled and stalled on new contract,then as soon as Real came in off he went for peanuts.Rush came straight back as soon as he could and even came of the bench to score twice against the blueshite at wembley.

If you genuinely think owen would rather have signed for newcastle than Liverpool then without soundin a knob its not even worth carryin on the conversation.

Madrid called his bluff - im not doubtin about that.

As for Owen running down his contract I dont think he intentionally tryed to fuck Liverpool he made a mistake and im sure from a few months into his time at madrid he would have wanted to come back.

The club was in disarray and he opted out however I never doubted from the moment owen started playing for Liverpool that he would possibly go abroad so theres every parallel with Rushs move

297 appearances' date=' 158 goals.

I know which one he deserves.[/quote']

Sums it up for me.

He is a player brought up at the club and he made a mistake and left. He hasnt genuinely had the option to come back I dont think. Newcastle fucked us over knowing the only reason he would go to them was by offering a lot more than us so madrid would force him to go there.

Maybe he could have stayed stronger but he was obviously fearful of being sat on a madrid bench.

How you can turn on him as certain people are it baffles me.

I remember goin most games in the seasons when we werent doin to well and I remember Owen being the shining light for me along with carra at centre back and heggem at right back.

But those who wanna slag him off will and thats your prorogative but you probably slag gerrard off too so you instantly go down in my estimations.

NOBODY CAN ARGUE MICHAELS RECORD OR COMMITMENT TO THE CLUB UNTIL HIS LAST SEASON

ROMA CARDIFF HIS HATRICKS AGAINST HIS NOW EMPLOYEES TO NAME JUST A COUPLE

SADLY FOR MICHAEL HE MADE THE WRONG MOVE BY LEAVING US TO GO TO SPAIN HE WOULD HAVE A EUROPEAN CUP WINNERS MEDAL BY NOW (even nunez got one ) AND WE MIGHT HAVE WON THE PREMIERSHIP IF HE HAD STAYED BUT THATS ALL GONE HE SHIT ON US WENT FOR GLORY AND GOT FUCKED AND NOW COULD BE ON THE VERGE OF BEING ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP ON A SUNDAY MORNIN ON ITV SO AT THE END OF THE DAY DOES MICHAEL DESERVE OUR APPLAUSE I THINK NOT !

NOBODY CAN ARGUE MICHAELS RECORD OR COMMITMENT TO THE CLUB UNTIL HIS LAST SEASON

ROMA CARDIFF HIS HATRICKS AGAINST HIS NOW EMPLOYEES TO NAME JUST A COUPLE

SADLY FOR MICHAEL HE MADE THE WRONG MOVE BY LEAVING US TO GO TO SPAIN HE WOULD HAVE A EUROPEAN CUP WINNERS MEDAL BY NOW (even nunez got one ) AND WE MIGHT HAVE WON THE PREMIERSHIP IF HE HAD STAYED BUT THATS ALL GONE HE SHIT ON US WENT FOR GLORY AND GOT FUCKED AND NOW COULD BE ON THE VERGE OF BEING ON THE CHAMPIONSHIP ON A SUNDAY MORNIN ON ITV SO AT THE END OF THE DAY DOES MICHAEL DESERVE OUR APPLAUSE I THINK NOT !

GET THEM TO TURN THE MUSIC DOWN!!

Liverpool legend. If there is a "Gerrard Final" from 2006, then there should be an "Owen Final" from 2001.

Thats very true. The feeling I got when Owen scored his second was second only to Istanbul, it was amazing as we were depressingly shite that game. For that alone he should be thought of fondly. He was never as popular as he should have been when he was at Anfield and taken for granted. I always loved him when he was here and was gutted when he left, I remember how gutted I felt when I realised he was actually leaving (when Rafa left him as an unused sub in the CL qualifier).

Interesting points about Keegan, McManaman and Owen there.

I believe McManaman ended up leaving on a Bosman because we had tried to sell him to Barcelona when he didn't want to leave. Now I don't know the full story but that is the jost of what I heard and read at the time, and many other people have tended to say.

Keegan, I was born just after the 78 European Cup Final, so don't know the ins and outs, but I would guess that the lure of international football at the time Keegan played was just to good to turn down. Technically the German Bundesliga had some really gifted technical players by what I have read up on. The same would be for Ian Rush. Both had won all the honours at that they could have possibly won so why not challenge yourself further at that specific time.

Owen, he had his head turned at the wrong place and the wrong time. At the time he probably felt he had struck gold. One of the most famous clubs in the history of football wanted to sign him, no matter how much you loved Liverpool, the opportunity to grace the same corridors as greats like Di Stefano, Puskas, Sanchez, Zidane, Raul (Madrid Legend) Butragueno (sp) Suker, Mijatovic, Heirro, Ronaldo, would be to good to turn down, well I think it would anyway. However I don't believe Owen looked at it like that. He didn't give the club a chance to change, he wanted all the glory there and then. He wanted the CL, a league title and a team that could guarantee him that. he did not believe in Rafa. I don't think Steven Gerrard did either, but he is not the subject.

I always make out I hate Owen for leaving, but looking back, I can understand to some degree why he went. I respect him for his decision as he felt it was the right one. But he is the one that has to live with the decisions he has made not Liverpool FC. Liverpool FC can live without Michael Owen, Michael can't live without Liverpool FC.

Interesting points about Keegan, McManaman and Owen there.

I believe McManaman ended up leaving on a Bosman because we had tried to sell him to Barcelona when he didn't want to leave. Now I don't know the full story but that is the jost of what I heard and read at the time, and many other people have tended to say.

Keegan, I was born just after the 78 European Cup Final, so don't know the ins and outs, but I would guess that the lure of international football at the time Keegan played was just to good to turn down. Technically the German Bundesliga had some really gifted technical players by what I have read up on. The same would be for Ian Rush. Both had won all the honours at that they could have possibly won so why not challenge yourself further at that specific time.

Owen, he had his head turned at the wrong place and the wrong time. At the time he probably felt he had struck gold. One of the most famous clubs in the history of football wanted to sign him, no matter how much you loved Liverpool, the opportunity to grace the same corridors as greats like Di Stefano, Puskas, Sanchez, Zidane, Raul (Madrid Legend) Butragueno (sp) Suker, Mijatovic, Heirro, Ronaldo, would be to good to turn down, well I think it would anyway. However I don't believe Owen looked at it like that. He didn't give the club a chance to change, he wanted all the glory there and then. He wanted the CL, a league title and a team that could guarantee him that. he did not believe in Rafa. I don't think Steven Gerrard did either, but he is not the subject.

I always make out I hate Owen for leaving, but looking back, I can understand to some degree why he went. I respect him for his decision as he felt it was the right one. But he is the one that has to live with the decisions he has made not Liverpool FC. Liverpool FC can live without Michael Owen, Michael can't live without Liverpool FC.

Thats a constructive post about owen going rather than the ones who fuckin hate him. I loved owen at Liverpool and was gutted when he went and also when he went to newcastle but its true Liverpool have moved on.

We are best off remembering Owen as someone who banged in the goals for Liverpool and made a mistake in leaving. I guess its a case of what might have been for him.

He should get what he deserves - polite acknowledgment in that he was once a LFC player, ridicule that his ego and greed led him to make such bad career moves, pity that he plays for Newcastle and frank acknowledgment that he has been no more than a journeyman even since he left the cocoon Houllier created for him where the team was designed to help him achieve the only thing he really cared about - his goal scoring totals, complete with penalties, or at least the 50% penalties he actually succeeded with.

We'll be having none of that, strikers who want to score goals:whistle:

If you genuinely think owen would rather have signed for newcastle than Liverpool then without soundin a knob its not even worth carryin on the conversation.

Madrid called his bluff - im not doubtin about that.

As for Owen running down his contract I dont think he intentionally tryed to fuck Liverpool he made a mistake and im sure from a few months into his time at madrid he would have wanted to come back.

The club was in disarray and he opted out however I never doubted from the moment owen started playing for Liverpool that he would possibly go abroad so theres every parallel with Rushs move

how can 'UNINTENTIONALLY' run down your contract?

parry - 'here a contract for you to sign michael'

owen - 'can I sign it tomorrow I seem to have lost my pen'

I'm not down with all this Owen hating. I can see people's reasons for it, but for me all the good he did in a red shirt easily outweighs everything else.

I have no sympathy for his current predicament, as it's largely self inflicted, but I've got no beef with him either. Owen is one of the greatest strikers in our history, and gave us a lot of great memories.

I hope he gets polite applause, as he deserves it.