You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What reception will you give Owen?

Kevin D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his last season with us he played a waiting game because it suited him. He strung us along Mcmanaman style. Everything he said during that last year led me to believe he'd sign a new contract with us and his timing when he went could'nt have been worse.

When the penny dropped that his days at Madrid were numbered and we asked him to play the same waiting game only this time to suit us. Well once again as Newcastle have learned England come first and we got the two fingers again.

So no respect from me on his return and if he scores im quite sure he wont be showing his former club and its supporters any to.

Applause from me. He is a legend. When you think that we serenade clowns like Erik Meijer and as Chris said yesteray David James of spice boy fame gets applauded to the rafters it's kind of the right thing to do isn't it?

Ha, good point about Meijer. The guy was fucking hopeless but he's thought of more highly than one of our greatest ever goal scorers. I'd give Owen a clap. It's the least he deserves for all those fucking goals he banged in for us.

strung along the club and then left for peanuts to 'further his career' (how's that going btw michael?) no respect for him despite all the goals. also the excuses from him and his agent were hilarious, 'the agent is on holiday' (LOL!:whatever:) I was waiting for them to use 'I've lost my pen so can't sign' excuse

I think Michael Owen deserves a good reception for the years of service he gave the club. He will get a good reception, Im sure of that because Liverpool fans have got a good name in football for treating their ex players well and we always do unless they slag the club off etc. Whenever you hear Michael Owen speak he has got nothing but respect for Liverpool and our fans, so i think the decent amongst us will give him polite applause. The few nobs will boo.

I know it was shit the way he left by the way but I think he still deserves respect for the years of service he put in and the continuing respect he shows the club and the fans

Applause from me. He is a legend. When you think that we serenade clowns like Erik Meijer and as Chris said yesteray David James of spice boy fame gets applauded to the rafters it's kind of the right thing to do isn't it?

Did Michael Owen ever share with us the delights of a Sami Hyypia fish dish on his website? Did he fuck. Stop talking shite Rashid, and lay off Mad Erik as you know what happened last time.

Warm round of applause for Michael from me by the way.

Paul Stewart, Steve McManaman and El Hadji Diouf, how many other ex Reds players can you think of who got booed returning to Anfield?

Michael Owen scored a goal every other game, carried us for 7 years, won us the FA Cup in 2001, helped us do Roma that season on way to UEFA Cup. He left beause the biggest club in the world came in for him, I cant believe its an issue how he'll be treated is up for discussion on Saturday.

More like 7 goalless games and four goals in the eighth.

Anyway; Good player, unloyal person. Fuck him.

What the fuck is he supposed to do when Real Madrid come in for him, believe ot not there are bigger clubs than us. The vitriol to him is embarrassing.

I remember in Istanbul, soaking it all up and thinking about him and being quite pleased that he missed out on it.

He left us for nights like that and we where having it, mind you he did not stay in the thoughts for long, the night was to good to gloat on that little shits misfortune.

All said and done he did us up like a kipper and the good memories are tarnished. I am split between both oppinions and just treat him as indifferent but the bottom line is he deserves a polite applause anything else is just wrong.

A pity he could have been so much more but it was never ever to be.

FFS lads move on!! He got a better offer. Don't think Rafa saw him in his teams - not a work horse!

For me he is a lagend because he did what he did while playing for us. So what he moved on. Would any of you seriously not taken the chance to go to the then best team in Europe at that time? And at that time who saw number 5 coming? Christ some of the people HE let down actually walked out on the team at half time in Istanbul and in fact contiue to leave early if the game goes badly. No one boos them asnd they always get a welcome back!!

Loyalty is not a word for football in the main and so few show it it is unfair to slate people who don't. He was a brilliant player for us, total support from me:yes:

FFS lads move on!! He got a better offer. Don't think Rafa saw him in his teams - not a work horse!

For me he is a lagend because he did what he did while playing for us. So what he moved on. Would any of you seriously not taken the chance to go to the then best team in Europe at that time? And at that time who saw number 5 coming? Christ some of the people HE let down actually walked out on the team at half time in Istanbul and in fact contiue to leave early if the game goes badly. No one boos them asnd they always get a welcome back!!

Loyalty is not a word for football in the main and so few show it it is unfair to slate people who don't. He was a brilliant player for us, total support from me:yes:

stop talking sense and making logical arguments it doesnt appear to be allowed when talking about Owen.

If he was as good as he was when he left then it would hurt seeing him turn out against us. The fact he isnt at that same level means it will be easier to applaud him (if I was there), it kind of feels like we sold him because he was 34 and over the hill... well thats how it feels when I see him playing for Newcastle!

Paul Stewart, Steve McManaman and El Hadji Diouf, how many other ex Reds players can you think of who got booed returning to Anfield?

Michael Owen scored a goal every other game, carried us for 7 years, won us the FA Cup in 2001, helped us do Roma that season on way to UEFA Cup. He left beause the biggest club in the world came in for him, I cant believe its an issue how he'll be treated is up for discussion on Saturday.

no one has a problem with him leaving (well, I don't) to 'further his career' or join 'a bigger club' the problem is he willingly and knowingly ran down his contract so we'd make fuck all money on him. loads of people were angry with gerrard because wanted to leave, not me, he signed a contract and we would have made a fortune on him. compare and contrast owen's exit with duff leaving blackburn or torres leaving AM 'THAT' is the reason michael owen fucks me off.

he should be applauded. Granted, it will never be the most raucous welcome due to the manner of his departure, but I'd like to think that the bulk of fans can put that aspect aside and at least clap him for the many good things he did with us.

Hopefully we'll hammer a low confidence Necastle team too. That way, it's much easier to be generous with the applause for a former player!

I think he'll get roundly jeered and abused, but personally I would give him a great welcome.

I won't be there though, so it won't be an issue.

'1-0 down, 2-1 Michael Owen won the Cup...'

Agreed.

His departure is a trifling insignificance in that period of our illustrious history, and he deserves much better than he got last time he came to Anfield.

He won't hear my reception anyway so it matters little. I have little feeling either way. I can't be arsed getting worked up by him. I have never been a big booer so i doubt i would give him much shit if I was there, but i don't agree with this legend thing, he could have been but he fucked it up if you ask me. He also had the chance to come back and choked (most likely due to worries about his England place). I am therefore in the indifference camp.

Applause from me.

He signed contract after contract despite us been shite in the league in all but one season. He always said that he wanted to play abroad. I'd have rather we got more then £8m but he was superb for us with more then 1 goal every 2 games during his almost 300 games. He followed his dream to Real which didn't work out so his first choice was to come back to us. However, we have a numpty of a CEO who wanted to wait until the last second as usual to get a few quid off, leaving Owen with no choice but to join the freak-show near Scotland.

And this England thing is laughable. Gerrard has acted the exact same as Owen with England but gets none of the idiotic comments thrown at him that Owen endured.

Liverpool legend. If there is a "Gerrard Final" from 2006, then there should be an "Owen Final" from 2001.

What the fuck is he supposed to do when Real Madrid come in for him, believe ot not there are bigger clubs than us. The vitriol to him is embarrassing.

Ah yes Michael's old when Real come knocking no one says no.

Which was really funny because on the same day Owen signed for them guess what Patrick Viera said to Real.

Owen did more for this club than all the whingers on this site could ever do put together. I was there at many of the matches he won for us single handed - he deserves respect for keeping us in the top half of the table under Houllier. He'll get warm applause from me.