You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Recommend a Podcast

Anny Road

I downloaded this on the strength of your post, cheers for that. It sounded a bit niche and interesting so gave it a go.

I mentioned to someone at work who advised me it's had millions of downloads. Felt like a I'd just told them I've just come across this little band from Liverpool called the Beatles, ive them a go!

Really good so far, the lady who present has a really relaxed delivery, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yeah it's suddenly become the most popular podcast in the world and is breaking all records for downloads. I'd never heard of it before Sugar Ape posted that article.

It's good, there's a new one out today

I didn't think too much of this weeks. It's started badly when it asked for a donation. I'm just messing why not just charge for the next series doesn't have to be expensive but it will earn more than donations and I'm lazy as opposed to tight fisted I can't be bothered going to donate on a site I don't particuarly know if it's secure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who've been following Serial, Jay has broken his silence and given an interview. In which he offers a new version of events and admits that he lied in all four of his police interviews and both the trials that he testified in. However, we should still believe him when he says Adnan is guilty because he only did all the lying to protect his sweet, old grandma

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

For those who've been following Serial, Jay has broken his silence and given an interview. In which he offers a new version of events and admits that he lied in all four of his police interviews and both the trials that he testified in. However, we should still believe him when he says Adnan is guilty because he only did all the lying to protect his sweet, old grandma

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

He's a snake.

There must be tens of thousands of these cases, I read an interview last week with a death row prison guard. He said he is always a little easier on the innocent ones.

He's a snake.

There must be tens of thousands of these cases, I read an interview last week with a death row prison guard. He said he is always a little easier on the innocent ones.

It's remarkable that there is zero physical evidence, no real motive and only the testimony of a guy who changed his story six times before the trial, that put a guy in jail for a minimum of thirty years. He's now admitted that his testimony was bullshit but bizarrely it won't be enough to get Adnan released.

I haven't listened through all of Serial just yet so I'll leave that Jay interview for now.

I've only listened to 6 episodes so far but as Rico and Pesti are saying, from what they have it's remarkable that he was convicted. I'm not totally swayed either way and maybe he is a stone cold killer, however if he is at this stage I would say there is very little to prove that beyond reasonable doubt. I've heard nothing to make me think he did it, but likewise nothing that makes me think it's totally impossible.

Just started the Serial after seeing it on here,only about 40mins in on the first but something really different to the norm and interesting if in the right mood.

Found a few new history podcast that sound good. I'll add them later if anyone is interested

Just started the Serial after seeing it on here,only about 40mins in on the first but something really different to the norm and interesting if in the right mood.Found a few new history podcast that sound good. I'll add them later if anyone is interested

Yes mate, stick em on here. I've got loads of driving in the next few days and it makes a great alternative to R4.

Not listened to them all so can't say if they all are good

Ancient warfare magazine{good)

Dan Carkins hardcore history(very good)

History of the crusades

Military history podcast

The British history podcast

The history podcast

The history of Rome podcast(very good)

The history of WW2 podcast by Ray Harris jnr

If you have audible get Antony Beevers history of WW2 its in two parts and is excellent

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

One that I have just stumbled upon that looks like it might be an absolute gem is the KEXP podcast from Seattle. They are a music station that have loads of great bands that come in and do sessions for them and these sessions, of about four songs at a time, are all there ready to be downloaded. A huge library of music sessions.

• Upvote 1

Mark Steel's Bravo Figaro is on BBC at the moment, very moving show about his dad.

Joe Rogan with Sam Harris is a good but long listen. In the last half hour he talks about AI and the potential dangers it could bring. He thinks that if developed it could eclipse 20k yrs of human learning in 2 weeks, be able to take over literally 10's of millions of jobs and make the country who develops it unstoppable.

Mark Steel's Bravo Figaro is on BBC at the moment, very moving show about his dad.

Joe Rogan with Sam Harris is a good but long listen. In the last half hour he talks about AI and the potential dangers it could bring. He thinks that if developed it could eclipse 20k yrs of human learning in 2 weeks, be able to take over literally 10's of millions of jobs and make the country who develops it unstoppable.

I doubt that artificial superintelligence is going to care much for arbitrary borders that humans have created.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcasts (or RHLSTP, as he likes to call it) are hugely entertaining, if anyone hasn't got onto them. It's basically Richard Herring interviewing other comedians for an hour or so. Not just standard questions, but daft questions about auto-fellatio, bigfoot, ham hands and time travelling fingers. He's not particularly bothered if it doesn't go as planned or even if the guests get slightly miffed, as Stephen Merchant found out. 

Bob Mortimer is the latest interviewee, the man is a legend.  I think Louis Theroux is next up.

The ones that had me spluttering with helpless laughter on the train were the Adam Buxton, Stewart Lee and Ross Noble ones. The Ross Noble one in particular was just incredibly funny. "Mad leather" and "wall to wall muslims" are two phrases that my brain wouldn't let go of, for weeks after listening to that one. Makes more sense if you listen to it, obviously.

• Upvote 1

I'm all for AI even if it wipes us out.

I've tried to classify our species and I realized that we are not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but us humans do not. We move to an area and  multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way we can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. We are plague and AI is the cure.