You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fernando Torres

Elite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that was arsenal. Fact is he was dropped for those two games but you go right on believing he was injured.

In fact he wasnt fit to play against arsenal but did! How stupid is that?

He was injured when we played Arsenal. Dirk played up front and missed a hatful.

It just makes it all the more infuriating that he was dropped for the Portsmouth and Blackburn games.

A great buy. We need another like him.

He picked up an Knock/injury for spain midweek before the Portsmouth game so it might have been a case of there being a doubt about him being fit enough ?

One of the many things that has surprised me about Nando is his turn of pace is positively electric. I didn't have him down as a pace merchant, but boy can he move. I get a similar buzz from watching him as I did Ronaldinho at the peak of his powers. I love watching people play football who love playing football, and that's Fernando Torres.

He has totally blitzed my hopes and expectations this season. That goal against Chelsea was so important.

(to the tune of 'The Animals go in Two by Two'):

His armband proved he was a red - Torres, Torres

You'll never walk alone it said - Torres, Torres

We bought the lad from sunny Spain

He gets the ball he scores again

Fer-nan-do Torres Liverpool's number 9.

liv1.jpg

Fernando Torres dedicates hat-trick to Rafa Benitez

Feb 25 2008

by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

FERNANDO TORRES today dedicated his first ever Premier League hat-trick to Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez.

Torres struck the second treble of his Reds career – the first came in the Carling Cup against Reading – as Liverpool beat Middlesbrough 3-2 at Anfield on Saturday.

Though delighted with his own personal achievement, which also saw him become the first Liverpool forward since Michael Owen to score more than 20 goals in a season, Torres’ first thoughts were for his manager and his team-mates.

And he believes he will continue to get better under the guidance of Benitez, who brought him to Anfield in a club record £20m deal last summer.

He said: "You cannot score three goals in a game without the help of your manager and your team-mates so I would like to thank them.

"The manager signed me for Liverpool so I am really grateful for that, and he also works with me all the time trying to improve me and make me a better player.

"I think my game has already improved and will continue to improve under Rafa Benitez."

Torres' treble took his total for the season to 21, and with three months of the campaign still to go he could go on to hit the magical 30 mark if he continues scoring at his current rate,

But the Spanish striker refuses to set himself any targets, insisting he is interested only in team success and not personal glory.

He said: "The most important thing is that the team is successful, that is the only thing that matters.

"If I score some goals that help us to win things then I will be very happy, but it is all about the team.

"I came here to win things because I have never won anything as a senior player. I won medals when I was an under-16 and an under-19 player but that was a long time ago.

"Hopefully we will win something this season but if that does not happen then next season.

"I have signed a six-year contract so I am here for a long time and if things go well hopefully I will be here for even longer.

"I have 21 goals this season and that pleases me because it is my best season yet but I am not thinking about scoring 30 because what makes me most happy is when the team wins, not when I score."

On Saturday, Torres' first two goals were scored in the first half at the Anfield Road end and he was delighted that his hat-trick strike came in front of the Kop.

He said: "That made it even more special for me because the Kop is such a special place and it means so much to everyone associated with Liverpool Football Club.

"The fans have been fantastic with me since I first came to the club and I would like to thank them because their support has been a big help.

"Now everyone at the club has to focus on trying to finish in the top four so the win against Middlesbrough was a very important result for us."

Benitez has no new injury worries following Saturday's victory and expects to have the fit again Martin Skrtel and suspension free Jamie Carragher for the trip to Bolton on Sunday.

(to the tune of 'The Animals go in Two by Two'):

His armband proved he was a red - Torres, Torres

You'll never walk alone it said - Torres, Torres

We bought the lad from sunny Spain

He gets the ball he scores again

Fer-nan-do Torres Liverpool's number 9.

Thats class. We should sing it like Spurs sing when the spurs go marching in, slow and methodical.