You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hope the lad is ok and can walk after ,playing footie would be a bonus ,but the tackle wasn't that bad.I thought it was innocous enough and i've seen loads worse this season that didn't result in hurting the player like that

say what you want about wenger but fair fucks to him for retracting his after the game tirade,

It looks worse there because it's frozen at the moment of impact. In full motion it doesn't look so premeditated.

Exactly. That pic looks terrible but the ball was about a foot behind where his standing foot was a split second earlier.

It's not a good challenge but there's no way he meant to do that, and as I say it's just as bad as loads of tackles we see in the Premiership every week.

Look at Bowyer's the other week where everyone agreed that he was unluckyto be sent off; he went over the ball and player - if the player had been standing it could have broken his leg as well.

Such a fine margin. People calling the lad a shithouse and yard-dog don't even know him and are just presuming he meant to hurt the lad. Gerrard's made lots of similar tackles to that but been a bit lucky about how it's panned out.

I bet the lad is fucking gutted tonight.

Wenger Retracts:

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has retracted comments calling for Birmingham City defender Martin Taylor to be banned for life following his horror tackle on Eduardo on Saturday.

Taylor was shown a red card in the opening moments of the 2-2 draw at StAndrews after he caught the Gunners striker, who apparently suffered a badly broken leg.

Immediately after the game, in which James McFadden equalised in injury-time, a furious Wenger said: 'This guy should never play football again. What is he doing on the football pitch?'

Blues boss Alex McLeish and former manager Steve Bruce jumped to the defence of the player, who was described as 'distraught', and Wenger has now softened his stance.

'It was a highly emotional afternoon and we were all shocked by the injury to Eduardo,' said Wenger, who expects the Croatian to miss this summer's European Championships.

'On reflection, I feel that my comments about Martin Taylor were excessive. I said what I did immediately after the game in the heat of the moment.'

Arsenal confirmed this evening that Eduardo had undergone surgery on a broken leg.

Here's a pearl of wisdom from Steve Bruce.

"Martin Taylor is the biggest, gentlest man," said Bruce. "There will be nobody more upset and sickened than him, there is not a bad bone in his body.

"He would never, ever do anything malicious. He has mis-timed the tackle, and I've seen it. Some would say it is not even a yellow card."

I think Wenger has since retracted his comments about a life time ban for Taylor. He was interviewed just after the game, with emotions still running high. The challenge was horrendous and sickening to see. I've seen it in real time and in slow motion, and it really does look like it could be really serious for Eduardo's career. I hope he comes back from this and that he career is not affected. As for Taylor, I don't know about a life time ban but I think he needs a severe punishment. Good luck to Eduardo.

At normal speed I thought there was nothing wrong with it but it was definitely a sending off after looking at the replay.

The way everyone is saying that he should be banned though, is fucking laughable. What about the likes of Roy Keane who actually went out to hurt someone purposely and rubbed it in whilst he was on the ground in pain?

He was a top player though, so it's alright.

At normal speed I thought there was nothing wrong with it but it was definitely a sending off after looking at the replay.

The way everyone is saying that he should be banned though, is fucking laughable. What about the likes of Roy Keane who actually went out to hurt someone purposely and rubbed it in whilst he was on the ground in pain?

Yup.

That's a bollocks argument Brownie. Nobody is saying what Keane did was alright, it was far from it.

The tackle was bad. When someone is sprinting towards you like that you can't put all your weight into a challenge like that. It's at the very least highly neglectful.

Any lifetime bans or long-term bans should always be based on intent as much on the actual consequences. Many a player has tried to tackle someone in a much more violent and dangerous way than that, but the opponent's got of the way. This might show a few just what can happen if you actually manage to connect.

exactly

*coughs*

_38621223_gertack300.jpg

"Martin Taylor is the biggest, gentlest man," said Bruce. "There will be nobody more upset and sickened than him, there is not a bad bone in his body.

"He would never, ever do anything malicious. He has mis-timed the tackle, and I've seen it. Some would say it is not even a yellow card."

I assume "Some" would be Steve Bruce and err... Mrs Bruce possibly? Alex Bruce? Fiona Bruce?

Some would say Steve Bruce is a berk and that his head resembles a huge potato.

The argument over the maliciousness of the challenge misses the issue for me. Just look at the picture - Taylor's grounding himself, fully committed and completely unable to react to anything Eduardo might do. First and foremost, it's piss-poor football. You don't need malicious intent to do damage when you play the game like that, just enough games for the law of averages to do it's work.

Intent or not, that tackle was reckless and everybody who plays football will know that going in to a tackle like that can result in somebody breaking a leg. Those who say he didnt intend to break his leg are pretty daft in my opinion as the issue is the reckless nature of the challenge.

Taylor shouldnt play again until after Christmas and should receive the bill for Eduardo's medical treatment.

Guest davelfc

Horrible injury and would not wish that one almost any player. Hope it's not an inury that will finish his career.

He must be gutted, after a decent result against AC Milan CL he's now going to miss the 2nd leg.