You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Section_31

Guest Numero Veinticinco
More to the point, I wonder how Cardie feels telling me that Lib Dems would never be able to make good on a promise to cut income tax for the lowest earners on the very day that we - once again - got an income tax cut for the lowest earners.

I must more strongly supported the 10k threshold target when it was paid for by progressive means. Now it's just a sham, wrapped inside an illusion, or something.

Overall, it's going to cost way, way, way more than it'll help. It's just about the worst way to help the poorest and those of the lowest incomes. It's not something to be very proud of at all.

More to the point, I wonder how Cardie feels telling me that Lib Dems would never be able to make good on a promise to cut income tax for the lowest earners on the very day that we - once again - got an income tax cut for the lowest earners.

Even more to the point, what will you be saying to those who will shortly not be paying any taxes at all, as they wont have any wages from which to pay any? Or is that nothing to do with the present incumbents?

yeah, but no fucking hoverboards or robot butlers. i notice you omit them.

I'm amused that you think it had anything to do with the Lib Dems.

Oh, and it comes in a budget during a time when inflation is running at nigh on 5%, with pay rises running at less than half that, and far more concessions given to the big multi-nationals, through a cut in corporation tax, than to any of the little men. They were already proposing a 1% cut, but doubled it to 2%. That only benefits those who helped to get us into this situation in the first place.

They plan to tighten up on tax avoidance by big business, to raise £4bn. This, just months after they let Vodaphone off the hook, accepting just £1.2bn of a £7bn tax bill. In other words, £1.8bn more than the £4bn they intend to raise through new legislation.

The net annual increase in the money in people's pockets amounts to about 3 full tanks of petrol. And don't get me started by mentioning the duty cut on fuel. They stuck 3p on a litre just 3 months ago, via VAT rises, so taking a penny off now is hardly a gift to motorists. Yes, I know it was a Labour policy, initially, but the goalposts had moved considerably, in the meantime, yet the Tories and their £4m pension pots introduced it anyway.

Now, some things you may have missed.

From now, any proposed developments will assume planning permission is granted, unless the local council can come up with "compelling reasons" why it shouldn't go ahead. Expect a Tesco at the end of your drive sometime soon.

Additions to existing installations will no longer require planning permission. Expect an even bigger Tesco sometime soon.

No longer will councils be able to prioritise brownfield development sites over greenfield. Expect a Tesco in an ancient woodland near you, sometime soon.

Yet again, we see a Tory budget which suits big businesses and, yet again, they try to hide that fact in insignificant tax "breaks" for ordinary people.

Personal tax allowance to rise a further £630 to £8,015 in April 2012

Even for the very top earners?

50% top rate of tax to remain but review of how much it raises

We can't get rid of it yet but will before the next election.

2011 growth forecast downgraded from 2.1% to 1.7%

2012 forecast also down from 2.6% to 2.5%

Inflation set to remain between 4% and 5% in 2011, falling to 2.5% in 2012

Nothing to see here.

National debt forecast to be 60% of national income this year, rising to 71% in 2012 before falling to 69% by 2015

Labour were shite because they increased the national debt.

Champion.

I must more strongly supported the 10k threshold target when it was paid for by progressive means. Now it's just a sham, wrapped inside an illusion, or something.

Overall, it's going to cost way, way, way more than it'll help. It's just about the worst way to help the poorest and those of the lowest incomes. It's not something to be very proud of at all.

I'm interested to hear that there's a non-progressive way to take millions of low earners out of tax, perhaps you can explain further?

Even more to the point, what will you be saying to those who will shortly not be paying any taxes at all, as they wont have any wages from which to pay any? Or is that nothing to do with the present incumbents?

I would ask them to hold tight for a couple of years, things should really start improving then, the economy will begin adding jobs, except this time they'll be real jobs.

I'm interested to hear that there's a non-progressive way to take millions of low earners out of tax, perhaps you can explain further?

I would ask them to hold tight for a couple of years, things should really start improving then, the economy will begin adding jobs, except this time they'll be real jobs.

Fuck me Stronts did you really post that shit?

Is that coalition policy to tell those losing their jobs to 'hold tight for a couple of years'.

If you mean a couple of years before the next election the tories will manage to find a few tax cuts to bribe voters then I certainly agree with you.

I might just quote that next time the bank comes knocking for the mortgage.

"It's OK - Stronts said so."

What?

Have you just typed that shite! Seriously, are you trying to suggest that Public Sector jobs are not real?

I would ask them to hold tight for a couple of years, things should really start improving then, the economy will begin adding jobs, except this time they'll be real jobs.[/quote]

If you arent a professional politician, then you should be.

I applaud you not ignoring the question, but honestly, words fail me, they really do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I've not got a load of time, but I'd suggest you read this, and for more leftist propaganda, here's what Conservative, David Willetts MP, had to say about the subject in 2005.

Don't forget, in your predicted response, that the playing-field in which the liberal democrats proposed this is now very different. Some of the things LDs were going to do to pay for it made it a better policy. Now that the Conservatives have their hands on it, it's a worse way to do it.

Who says you got it? Take credit for that but will you also take credit for the cut, once again, in corporation tax? The public purse will pay for both and they should be patting themselves on the back not the government. I also note that you have not mentioned public borrowing is up as I told you it would be, maybe you'd like to address that fact or find an easier line of questioning with some other softie?

50% top rate of tax to remain but review of how much it raises

We can't get rid of it yet but will before the next election.

2011 growth forecast downgraded from 2.1% to 1.7%

2012 forecast also down from 2.6% to 2.5%

Inflation set to remain between 4% and 5% in 2011, falling to 2.5% in 2012

Nothing to see here.

National debt forecast to be 60% of national income this year, rising to 71% in 2012 before falling to 69% by 2015

Champion.

Who says you got it? Take credit for that but will you also take credit for the cut, once again, in corporation tax? The public purse will pay for both and they should be patting themselves on the back not the government. I also note that you have not mentioned public borrowing is up as I told you it would be, maybe you'd like to address that fact or find an easier line of questioning with some other softie?

Stronts?

"We're cutting your tax"

"Oh, that sounds cool, how are you going to afford that?"

"We're going to close/sell-off hospitals, close libraries, sack policemen, nurses and firemen and do away with all sorts of other useful stuff because we haven't got the desire to get the top 1% to pay tax. Pretty progressive eh?"

"Erm...yeah, thanks."

*Looks at watch....tick, tick, tick*

"But Labour..."

You cheeky fucking bastard.

The average person will be £49 better off.

Per year.

That's a whole £4.08 per month.

Or £0.94 pence per week.

Or £0.13 pence per day.

Can't wait to spend mine.

Per year.

Or £0.94 pence per week.

Or £0.13 pence per day.

We are in this together.

If I can do without an extra four quid a month then so can cunts earning over £50,000.

Per year.

Or £0.94 pence per week.

Or £0.13 pence per day.

where do you get those numbers from? anyone earning more than the proposed new threshold will be better off by 20% of the rise or £126 per year. To get the average impact down to £49 you have to include every man, woman and child. Lowering tax thresholds is a good policy and attention should be on VAT rises and corporation tax cuts.

I'm amused that you think it had anything to do with the Lib Dems.

You don't think the implementation of a key Lib Dem manifesto commitment by a government featuring the Lib Dems had anything to do with the Lib Dems? You gotta tell me the logic behind that one!

They plan to tighten up on tax avoidance by big business, to raise £4bn. This, just months after they let Vodaphone off the hook, accepting just £1.2bn of a £7bn tax bill. In other words, £1.8bn more than the £4bn they intend to raise through new legislation.

Not the myth of the Vodafone tax bill again.

Champion.

Labour were shite because they expanded (created) a massive deficit. The debt is just a product of that deficit.

I assume you know the difference between national debt and deficit, but for anyone who doesn't - and you wouldn't believe the number of people who don't -

Debt is what the country owes, and this currently stands in excess of £900bn, excluding the cost of the bank bailouts (the bailouts being, of course, frequently and incorrectly blamed for the debt).

Deficit is what the country takes in in tax receipts, less what it spends. If you take more in than you spend, you have a surplus, but the UK hasn't had one of these since 2001, the last year of Labour's first term (when they were still sticking to Tory spending plans).

In order to get debt down you first need to eliminate the deficit. Until you eliminate the deficit, debt will grow year on year.

So I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, lifetime fan. One moment you're slamming the government for reducing the deficit too fast, the next you seem to be slamming it for not having eliminated it yet.