You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elite

Guest The Chimp

Muay Thai is a fantastic sport Elite - did this for a while. You in Liverpool? Colin Heron is a good coach. He runs (or used to) evening classes at Heatwaves in Canny Farm, Halewood Sport Centre, and the YMCA in town. Gets you fit, and if you do a bit of extra boxing and some elbow work in addition, a really devastating form of self defence. Club is the Kaobon (sp) Camp - might be in the phone book.

Ask if you can sit in on a few classes to see which suits you best.

I did that a few years back, my initial thoughts were:

Kickboxing - like the marines, 45 minutes of press-ups and running followed by 15 minutes of kicking pads, a few psychos and women who'd been beaten up.

Kung Fu - more like remembering dance routines than actually practicing moves, some of the movements involved 10-20 steps and movements.

Ninjitsu - scary shit, involved things like pinching, gouging, choke holds etc. My mate is a black belt and I went to his class. There was another blackbelt called Dave who i noticed was a bit sheepish, then I realised it was because the boss always practiced new moves on him.

The boss deflected a fake knife attack from Dave and then threw him over, before doing some kind of nerve pinch on him which prompted much 'freaking out' of his legs and lower back.

I would suggest training in a martial art that not only gets you fit, but also helps in practical defense.

What do I mean by that? Well, regardless of how a fight starts, they pretty much always involve grabbing, close quarter fighting, and ending up on the ground. Rarely does a fight go the way of you and an opponent trading round house kicks and jumping back kicks.

Muay Thai and Kung Fu are great styles, but I would suggest a mixed martial art. Something involving grappling, Jiu Jitsu, judo, or Aikido.

I start doing Aikido 11 years ago. I am not an aggressive person by nature, and Aikido uses your opponents movement against them. Very graceful, very handy in close quarters, bars, pubs, etc.

Watch U.F.C. on television and you will see what type of mixed martial art people train in these days. And fights always end up on the ground.

My suggestion would be to find somewhere that teaches a mixed martial art and see how you like it.

I would also suggest not getting wrapped up in a style that dictates Kata's and forms and all that jazz. Tae Kwon Do is a prime example.

My brother in law is a 2nd degree black belt in Tea Kwon Do. It looks amazing, jumping kicks, the works. But when I spar with him he's finished when I get my hands on him. Game over. I choke him out or make him submit.

At the end of the day you should shop around and see what fits your style.

Either way, good luck!

Guest The Chimp

St Helens? There were a few lads who ran clubs on the outskirts of Liverpool. I'll have a quick check with a few lads and get back to you.

How about boxing - fairly good club in St Helens. If you're looking for overall fitness and being a bit handy, you can't beat that. I was OK at Muay Thai, but boxing really sorted out your skills - much harder as you could only rely on two weapons (hands). Will PM you mate, when I get some info off the lads.

Guest The Chimp
I would suggest training in a martial art that not only gets you fit, but also helps in practical defense.

What do I mean by that? Well, regardless of how a fight starts, they pretty much always involve grabbing, close quarter fighting, and ending up on the ground. Rarely does a fight go the way of you and an opponent trading round house kicks and jumping back kicks.

Muay Thai and Kung Fu are great styles, but I would suggest a mixed martial art. Something involving grappling, Jiu Jitsu, judo, or Aikido.

I start doing Aikido 11 years ago. I am not an aggressive person by nature, and Aikido uses your opponents movement against them. Very graceful, very handy in close quarters, bars, pubs, etc.

Watch U.F.C. on television and you will see what type of mixed martial art people train in these days. And fights always end up on the ground.

My suggestion would be to find somewhere that teaches a mixed martial art and see how you like it.

I would also suggest not getting wrapped up in a style that dictates Kata's and forms and all that jazz. Tae Kwon Do is a prime example.

My brother in law is a 2nd degree black belt in Tea Kwon Do. It looks amazing, jumping kicks, the works. But when I spar with him he's finished when I get my hands on him. Game over. I choke him out or make him submit.

At the end of the day you should shop around and see what fits your style.

Either way, good luck!

My best mate does the mixed stuff. He was amateur boxing champ, was a coach (England qualified) and also a practicioner of Judo. Same thing - he would destroy anyone toe-to-toe, but the grappling is the real leveller and what makes the difference he said. Doing that somewhere off the Dock Road.

St Helens? There were a few lads who ran clubs on the outskirts of Liverpool. I'll have a quick check with a few lads and get back to you.

How about boxing - fairly good club in St Helens. If you're looking for overall fitness and being a bit handy, you can't beat that. I was OK at Muay Thai, but boxing really sorted out your skills - much harder as you could only rely on two weapons (hands). Will PM you mate, when I get some info off the lads.

Cheers mate.

I Youtubed Kung Fu and it looks great but it's not gonna help much if some big cunts already knocked you on your arse.

See if you can find a club that does SAMBO. It is primarily a wrestling sport with striking involved at certain level such as combat SAMBO. Martial arts like kung-fu, ninjitsu etc are pretty much paper tiger stuff. Muay Thai is good if you're looking for a striking martial art.

If you can't find a SAMBO club go for wrestling (proper, not WWE), brazillian ju-jitsu, standard ju-jitsu or judo. Ad boxing is cool as well.

I think all you martial art fellas should all get together one weekend and meet up in say....a empty, dark and moody warehouse and fight each other to the death (or until someone gets a splinter).

We'll all come along and place bets on who'll be the victor, the last man standing. Maybe chuck in a chicken fight or two along the way, bring some sandwedges and fizzy pop.

It'll be a cracking day out!.................no?

TLW's Fun Martial Arts Weekend

Ok ,same topic but different angle .I am looking to get my 4 yr old lad into martial arts.Just to see if it interests him but as per usual have no idea which is best for the little ones.He is only a slight lad and has no natural aggression ,this is down to his dad(me?) being a lover more than a fighter.

Live in the Wirral .Any ideas ?

Guest The Chimp
Ok ,same topic but different angle .I am looking to get my 4 yr old lad into martial arts.Just to see if it interests him but as per usual have no idea which is best for the little ones.He is only a slight lad and has no natural aggression ,this is down to his dad(me?) being a lover more than a fighter.

Live in the Wirral .Any ideas ?

I'd still go with the Muay Thai or boxing in general. Kids have a great range of movement and flexibility at that age and to get them used to a bit of boxing and kicking at a young age will be really good. Great self confidence as well. There used to be kids as young as yours in the gym and whilst we were all half dead, they'd still be bombing around like lunatics. In addition, at their age there would obviously be no contact so no need to be worried about injuries. Thing is, the majority of martial arts would all be equally good and I don't think you could go wrong picking any one of those listed above. Personally I liked the idea of Muay Thai as I was more into the full contact stuff - which not everyone will be in to - and fair enough what normal person wants an elbow smashed into your face?