You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The official Inter match thread

RedinSweden

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any evidence to back that fact up then? Or by fact do you mean it's something you've estimated yourself.

The majority of fans are going to have to be careful what they wish for. Appreciate this cup run, they might just dry up if he goes.

To take a leaf out of your own book in the other thread regarding Gerrard and his penalty saving skills, I think we all forget that Rafa is class at scoring goals in the CL!

The loss against Barnsley was apparently the players and the owners fault, whereas our CL form is obviously all down to the manager.

Somewhere in the middle as usual I think.

Anyway, fuck it, i'm proper high tonight. Don't wanna go to bed i'm so happy!

Has a thread disappeared, one specifically about Carragher's after match comments on Rafa?

I'd be interested to read it as I only got as far as hovering over the title.

Dunno, maybe I imagined it in the first place but I can't see it for the life of me.

Mattarazi's sending off was definitely harsh. Even though he is a dispicable ex-bluenose cunt, he shouldn't have been sent off. But as many have already said, the ref back in '64 did far worse when he helped Inter beat us, so this sending off goes some way to making up for that. We'd still have won even had he not been sent off, Inter were hopeless for the 1st 30 mins, and we were well up for it. Bring on the 2nd leg - 3 fucking weeks away!

you'd need to start applying for your visa now mate,and get a pants made out of Buffolo leather (or else get NP to get you some of that eskimo stuff) to protect your arse from slashings.From memory ,last time I was in russia was a fucking mare to get into

You right about the slashings mate.They have a massive problem with skinheads there who just attack people on sight for no reason.They nearly always slash the victim big time.Thing is they will see the Euro final as open day imo.To make matters worse the police there are as bent as Guti is.They give you instant fines on the spot for fuck all just to make themselves cash,if you dont pay it of to the police cells you go.

You right about the slashings mate.They have a massive problem with skinheads there who just attack people on sight for no reason.They nearly always slash the victim big time.Thing is they will see the Euro final as open day imo.To make matters worse the police there are as bent as Guti is.They give you instant fines on the spot for fuck all just to make themselves cash,if you dont pay it of to the police cells you go.

They are also very violent in response to 'groups'. Any sort of massive gathering has potential for deaths/injuries from the russian police.

UEFA would love to have Liverpool supporters to blame it on.

ps - Putin has halted ALL visas at the moment for Russia. Apparently, a CL final ticket will 'count' as a travel visa. It must be presented upon arrival to the country from what I understand.

Guest The Chimp

Absolutely made up with that. Not the time or the place to get into this, but Rafa's stock must have risen once again throughout Europe. There will be side's who will be falling over themselves for any news of a possibility to get him if he ends up being sacked. Additionally, you can't praise the manager and not the players. Made up for Dirk. In truth I'm not his biggest fan, but that's based entirely on goal scoring records rather than his willingness to work for the team and his genuine decentness. Was thinking tonight (and this was before he scored as I was impressed by his work), could he be moulded in the same way Ray Kennedy was, from striker into midfielder. Not comparing him to that wondeful player, but is this thought a result of gorging on one too many celebratory bananas or something that might just be plausible?

Edit: Also: outstanding 12th man - came across loud and clear. Made me proud.

Absolutely fantastic night. Proud of the players and the fans tonight.

I think we won through sheer will and doggedness and a much improved attitude. Why don`t we do it in the League? The lack of quality on the flanks was evident at times as was the lack of a top second striker but the players gave their all and that`s all you can ask of them, The other issues are up to the Manager to address.

A special mention to Kuyt who I thought was excellant in the second half and put in a totally self-less performance in a number of positions, 2 goals in 2 games is long overdue step in the right direction.

Also Lucas I thought was growing in influence before he was subbed, in fact i think we lost our way for 10 minutes or so after he went off which is great credit to him.

Guest The Chimp

Actually, the above is probably related to the fact that I just can't see him doing much in the way of scoring enough goals as a striker. It would seem that Rafa rates him, however. Now, we don't score much from midfield (indeed aside from Gerrard and this season Babel - I just don't see where goals are going to come from in that position).

The Diggler does have better goal-scoring ability that exceeds almost all our midfielders (as he should being a striker thus far) and as we seem to play him deep anyway, it just got me thinking, what could we lose. Needs must we've got the third choice striker when "the" partner for Torres comes in. We could sell him, but for what we'd get we'd probably have to pay that on a third choice striker anyway.

Do you have any evidence to back that fact up then? Or by fact do you mean it's something you've estimated yourself.

The majority of fans are going to have to be careful what they wish for. Appreciate this cup run, they might just dry up if he goes.

They interviewed a number of Liverpool fans before the game, all of them had Scouse accents, not one of them said they wanted him gone. All my mates in the BNP don't like black people, so everyone in the country must be racist.

The Rafa Benitez guide to Europe

Oliver Holt Chief Sports Writer20/02/2008

And so after defeat to Barnsley comes victory over the champions of Italy.

Come on. What did you expect? It's the Rafa Benitez way. Don't tell me you're surprised, don't pretend you're shocked. It's just how the man manages his resources.

The FA Cup or the Champions League. Take your pick, because that's what the Liverpool boss does. So moan about defeat to Barnsley all you want but if you do, don't celebrate this win over the runaway leaders of Serie A.

Because sometimes you have to choose which you think is more significant and when it comes to the domestic cup competitions and the Champions League, Benitez always chooses Europe.

Advertisement

Every year, it seems he is told he must get to the Champions League Final to keep his job.

The funny thing is that two years out of three - to general acclaim and astonishment - he has managed it.

This season, it's the same again. Benitez's love affair with the competition is like a beautiful curse.

He keeps getting to the final, so suddenly nothing apart from getting to the final will do.

Now, after this last-gasp victory, Liverpool have a good chance of putting out the favourites for a second year in a row.

Which means, if they complete the job in the San Siro, Benitez might just be heading for a third final in four years. Rarely can a manager have won so much so soon and been scorned so quickly by so many. From outside the city, at least.

Let's not forget Sir Alex Ferguson has sustained a 21-year career at Manchester United on less success in Europe than Benitez.

Yet when Inter arrived last night, Benitez was once more rumoured to be drinking in his usual spot in the Last Chance Saloon - in need of another magic trick like the Miracle of Istanbul or the win over teams like Juventus and Barcelona that were also supposed to have been beyond his reach.

There was even writing on the walls of the Liverpool training ground critical of the Liverpool boss and his team selections.

So, just like this time last year, when Liverpool faced Barcelona days after Craig Bellamy had threatened John Arne Riise with a golf club, Benitez calmly set about achieving the impossible.

Against a team that in Toldo, Figo, Vieira, Crespo, Maniche and Suazo had one of the most expensive benches of all time, Benitez opted for all-out attack.

For the first 45 minutes, it was like a siege. The Italians looked ordinary as Liverpool tore into them. So much for the idea Benitez has lost the dressing room.

The reality may be he never won the dressing room in the first place. He doesn't particularly care about currying favour with the players but they showed last night they desperately wanted to win.

Their urgency and relentlessness created few clear-cut chances, partly because their delivery from dead balls was almost uniformly abysmal, partly because Inter defended magnificently.

But Liverpool's intensity did unnerve their opponents to the point where Marco Materazzi was sent off for a second bookable offence after half an hour.

Benitez grew increasingly animated on the touchline as the Kop continued to roar his name. Of owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, who have undermined Benitez and are now supposed to be preparing to sack him, there was no sign.

They probably figured Inter were going to do a Barnsley on their team. Shame. They missed a treat. And another European masterclass from the man they want to fire.

Print this

Just to get a debate going and not having a go but does anyone think Rafa should make substitutions quicker? I would have out Crouch on as soon as Matterazzi was sent off to add to the confusion of their defenders and sacrificed one of our holding players. It was only when Crouch came on that we really started to stretch them I think.

Just to get a debate going and not having a go but does anyone think Rafa should make substitutions quicker? I would have out Crouch on as soon as Matterazzi was sent off to add to the confusion of their defenders and sacrificed one of our holding players. It was only when Crouch came on that we really started to stretch them I think.

Generally I think Rafa needs to make substituations earlier, it's not often that he will make a change (unless due to an injury) before the 60 minute mark.. but I don't agree with bring on a sub after 30 minutes. I think he called it perfectly yesterday.. even though I would have taken Kyut off and brought on Pennant leaving Babel on the left, but that's why I'm sat here talking to you and he's the man in the hot seat!

Hindsight is wonderful but if anything I'd have bought on Crouch, taken off Lucas on 30 minutes.. and then after 60 minutes taken off Kuyt and bought on Pennant. Id never have taken off Babel as he was a threat. Again that's why I am here chatting shit.

Sometimes though I do think we leave it a little too late.

This is the first chance I've had to read this thread since last night and I'm finding it difficult to believe what I'm reading about the Babel on/Kuyt off situation. Clearly, to anybody actually paying attention to the game, Babel had faded, and had contributed nothing to the game for a good 15 minutes. I don't know what it is, but the lad does need to work on his stanima. Kuyt, on the other hand, had set up the two best chances of the game with a great midfield block on Viera, and a great cross to Sami. He had also continuolusly held the ball, linked with others, and brought others into play, allowing us to mount sustained pressure in Inter's half.

And as for a few snidey little comments about his goal being deflected - don't we always wish our players would take a chance like Lampard, who seems to bag a fair few this way.

Last night we saw a Kuyt who's confidence had returned, and who was playing like he did last season. I hope this, and his goal at the weekend, is a springboard for him to set him up for the rest of the season.

Hindsight is wonderful but if anything I'd have bought on Crouch, taken off Lucas on 30 minutes.. and then after 60 minutes taken off Kuyt and bought on Pennant. Id never have taken off Babel as he was a threat. Again that's why I am here chatting shit.

Sometimes though I do think we leave it a little too late.

I don't like the way he predetermines his subs. He knew that after 60 minutes yesterday Peter Crouch was going to come on, no matter what the score was. I think Rafa should be more reactive in each game, but making a sub after 30 minutes because a player was sent off would be a little too reactive!

Great result in the end, but I thought we labored after a bright start and lacked ideas in the final third. Probably down to a lack of confidence.

Strange team selection and set up I thought as well, and a bit negative. Just don't see the point of playing Kuyt at right wing, when a pacier/creative player would have provided more cutting edge.

The inclusion of Aurelio baffled me too. He's barely played recently and yet he's thrown straight into a huge European game, despite being clearly unfit and off the pace.

Just another example of the managers sometimes eccentric approach to picking his teams.