You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The official Inter match thread

RedinSweden

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us of a certain age, tonight is the start of payback time..........

It was well covered on Setanta last night.

Tommy Smith explained what happened. He is still livid.

It was funny to hear him describe how he kicked the Ref off the pitch after the final whistle.

“He never booked me or said a word. Proves he was guilty!”

To me it proves the Ref was terrified.

I certainly would have been.

Sorry NP, but having lived there, I have to disagree and tell you that by and large their beer is fab - perhaps you've been fobbed off with their crap stuff, as they found out that you were Canadian. And chocolate is excellent too, and 'french food - english portions' , and their laissez faire attitude towards their neighbours, who all hate them. And coming from Britain, it would be blinkered in the extreme to slag off the Belgians for their colonial exploits. Or indeed the French or the Dutch, all of who behaved like Dennis Wise on an extended booze cruise.

I've been there, sailed many times from Oostend. Their chocolate is overrated because it is Belgian. It's like Arsenal football- all hype but when you pick beneath the layers it's just snidey chocolate. Their laissez-faire attitude towards their neighbors? They're just laissezing that they don't get overrun by the Germans AGAIN. Belgium serves no purpose whatsoever. They obviously copied their red light distric from Amsterdam. Brussels is more famous for sprouts (I love Brussels sprouts. I pretend they are belgian hearts and I dose them in lemon and eat them like hanibal Lecter eats a liver with a chianti).

As for colonialism- england left behind libraries, parliamentary democracy and cricket. Belgium left behind 20 million dead Congolese. And not much else. Belguim were by far the worst colonizers (Portugal may have given them a run). Well, actually the Italians were pretty bad but in an Evertonian way. They were so shit they couldn't even colonize Ethiopia properly and El Duce made a right hash of it before he ran off with Adolph. No wonder they need to bribe everybody; they can't win it legitmately.

More people died in the Belgian Congo than Russians died holding off Hitler until Churchill could carry out the Grand Alliance. And to think Winston helped defend Antwerp after the Dardanelles. (Still love Winston, though- he wasn't adverse to a bit of coloniualism).