You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe?

lifetime fan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bascombe the journalist is a star. Someone who knows exactly what is going on behind the scenes and tells it like it is.

Bascombe the match reporter is binned off after 2 paragraphs in recent weeks because we have been watching different matches. They are also too opinionated. A journalist should not have an opinion, they should deliver the facts from both sides of the story.

There's little need for that kind of attack really, after all he's a member here and doesn't come here attacking you for whatever it is you do for a living. Which, given your emphasis, I assume qualifies you to be critical of the technical aspects of his job.

From what I recall, he's got a degree in English Language which suggests a fairly decent level of writing ability.

And I doubt the Echo wiped his mobile phone memory when he left (or that he forgot to copy the numbers down onto a scrap of paper before he put his notice in). Tony Barrett will be getting most of the "official but keep it unofficial" gossip straight from the club now, but Chris still speaks to many contacts on a regular basis. And with the requirement to deliver articles once a week rather than six days a week he's in a position to spend more time on - for want of a better word - liaising with those contacts.

He doesn't work in London, he's still based up here.

And if you know of a journalist who isn't working in a commercially-driven environment, save except writers for Trade Union members' papers or in-house staff newspapers, then I'd love to see some of his work.

What do you do for a living by the way?

This guy is a Profressor at Cambridge in English - I kid you not!! And knows and taught a whole heap of Journos.

But he has no obvious writing ability, nor notable analytical skills, so I can't quite see why he should be so tetchy if Liverpool managers or other members of staff, or just us mere fans, treat him like what he actually is - a pragmatic, commercially-driven hack.

Would a professor of English at Cambridge compose a sentence like that?

Fickle is the perfect word here.

When Bascombe printed the 'Rafa will get the sack' article people slated him for being an NOTW cunt. Then when Hicks came out with the truth, everybody goes 'Oh Bascombe was right all along'.

Now that he's critical of the manager, 'Oh Bascombe's a sensationalist cunt'. There's no winning with certain fans, who just love the 'holier than thou' approach to anything football.

Bascombe is like Edward in Legends of the Fall. He's gone off and done well for himself and everyone thinks that he has forgotten about what really matters. But I reckon he'll pop out from behind the log cabin and pop a cap in Hicks' arse!

Quality.

I personally think it is out out of order for calling Bascombe a cunt and what have you.

He is merely reporting on information he is being fed and doing his job, he is a proffesional. Whether we agree or not he is just doing his job, and that is to help sell newspapers.

If anyone is to be called cunts it is the players and Hicks alone. If certain players are going to Bascombe and telling him how they feel knowing it is going to be in the Sunday Papers, then the blame lies with them. I am pleased Chris has brought the story about Hicks to the forefront, along with Barrett.

Maybe the players and Hicks could actually take a leaf out of Bascombe's book and be proffesional and do the job they are paid to do. Because that is what Rafa is trying to do.

Every journo comments on the match and gives how own views. Chris gets harsh treatment because people like you want him to tow the line.

Thats a bullshit argument, which can be used to absolve any trashy article, by anyone, in any rag. No one is saying that Chris is not entitled to his views, if thats what he really thinks. But thats not to say that we have to accept them, or that he is absolved from critcism, even anger.

Is the anger justified? Well, some of the insidious and sly digs against the manager in his last 2 match reports have DISGUSTED me. Certainly not anything a real fan should be proud of.

Why is it that if some players have decided NOT to give 100% because of the manager, then those players are innocent and the manager is guilty? Because Chris is directing his anger at Rafa solely.

And that last sly "Rafa loves Hicks" comment was despicable. ChrisB, are you reading this? I don't know you, and you may be a sound guy in meatspace, but it was DESPICABLE. A throwaway comment, tossed in at the end - attempting to side Rafa with the "forces of evil", without even an attempt at backing it up with any facts (facts? remember those?)

ChrisB - there has to be some element of honesty in any article. When you say that Barnsley richly deserved to win, you're lying. You know you're lying. Everyone who saw that game knows you're lying. Anyone who didnt see the game, but just saw the match stats afterwards, knows you're lying. Barnsley supporters who are justifiably proud of their team, still know they were lucky, and that you're lying.

You cannot insert outright lies into an article, and expect fans to RESPECT you for it.

And as far as giving ChrisB carte blanche to run his mouth off, and lie and slander Liverpool servants to suit his own preferences, because of some sterling service he did for the club in the past (leading the journalistic charge to "out" the Yanks)?

Well, Rafa has done great service for this club in the past too. And I remain convinced that, day in, day out, Rafa continues to give 100% to his job.

I reserve my ire for those who are paid by the fans, via Liverpool FC, but who ARE NOT giving 100%.

Thats a bullshit argument, which can be used to absolve any trashy article, by anyone, in any rag. No one is saying that Chris is not entitled to his views, if thats what he really thinks. But thats not to say that we have to accept them, or that he is absolved from critcism, even anger.

Is the anger justified? Well, some of the insidious and sly digs against the manager in his last 2 match reports have DISGUSTED me. Certainly not anything a real fan should be proud of.

Why is it that if some players have decided NOT to give 100% because of the manager, then those players are innocent and the manager is guilty? Because Chris is directing his anger at Rafa solely.

And that last sly "Rafa loves Hicks" comment was despicable. ChrisB, are you reading this? I don't know you, and you may be a sound guy in meatspace, but it was DESPICABLE. A throwaway comment, tossed in at the end - attempting to side Rafa with the "forces of evil", without even an attempt at backing it up with any facts (facts? remember those?)

ChrisB - there has to be some element of honesty in any article. When you say that Barnsley richly deserved to win, you're lying. You know you're lying. Everyone who saw that game knows you're lying. Anyone who didnt see the game, but just saw the match stats afterwards, knows you're lying. Barnsley supporters who are justifiably proud of their team, still know they were lucky, and that you're lying.

You cannot insert outright lies into an article, and expect fans to RESPECT you for it.

And as far as giving ChrisB carte blanche to run his mouth off, and lie and slander Liverpool servants to suit his own preferences, because of some sterling service he did for the club in the past (leading the journalistic charge to "out" the Yanks)?

Well, Rafa has done great service for this club in the past too ....

Passionate post that.

The articles have Chris's name on them, he isn't hard to find by anybody at LFC. I'd say he is being brave... whereas calling people cunts on here isn't very brave. Did you think about what you just posted?

Ironic. Do you ever think before you post (spam)?

It's the same for all Journo's they can write what they like knowing they'll never get any real come back on it from players or managers. In that regard, some of Chrisb's stuff has been pretty pathetic lately.

He really is just a hack. A hack who used to have the luxury of well-established lines of communication with his local club. But he has no obvious writing ability, nor notable analytical skills, so I can't quite see why he should be so tetchy if Liverpool managers or other members of staff, or just us mere fans, treat him like what he actually is - a pragmatic, commercially-driven hack. If he wants to be loved, do a more decent job. He's a News of the World hack. That's it.

Not a hack. Not even remotely close to being a hack. Thats not it. I'm loving this line about being commercially-driven. What does that mean? He took a job with more money to further his career? I'm not getting into the nitty gritty of this again, because it's been done to death. Everyone sells out. Everyone does it. Everyone has financial responsibilities, every one on this forum would take a better job with more money. It's a no brainer.

You talk about the luxury of having well-established lines of communication? Well who do you think established them? They just magically appeared? Did an Grandpa incarnation of Bascombe show up at the Diner one day Biff Tannen style with a book of contacts that would make him rich and somehow take over Liverpool and turn it into a futuristic hell hole? Behave will ya? He worked bloody hard to get those good contacts. I don't have them. In fact, as hard as I worked, and as much as I thought I could write, I was nowhere near good enough as a networking, approachable, contact-making sports Journalist as I wished to be. So I ended up working at a gadget magazine.

Can't write? Twice north west sports journalist of the year? They don't give that to people who can't write, mate. So think what you will about the newspaper he works and the moral implications of that, but don't be calling him a hack because it's not true.

I too was questioning Chris' match report today when I read it. I didn't enjoy it at all and it was a shame to see Chris pitch it the way he did, but going on past knowledge he'll have his reasons for this shift and you feel they won't be dictated by editorial constraints. I think that line about the bond between Rafa and Hicks tells the story.

Ironic. Do you ever think before you post (spam)?

It's the same for all Journo's they can write what they like knowing they'll never get any real come back on it from players or managers. In that regard, some of Chrisb's stuff has been pretty pathetic lately.

To think before you post, is like wiping your arse before taking a shit.

Not a hack. Not even remotely close to being a hack. Thats not it. I'm loving this line about being commercially-driven. What does that mean? He took a job with more money to further his career? I'm not getting into the nitty gritty of this again, because it's been done to death. Everyone sells out. Everyone does it. Everyone has financial responsibilities, every one on this forum would take a better job with more money. It's a no brainer.

You talk about the luxury of having well-established lines of communication? Well who do you think established them? They just magically appeared? Did an Grandpa incarnation of Bascombe show up at the Diner one day Biff Tannen style with a book of contacts that would make him rich and somehow take over Liverpool and turn it into a futuristic hell hole? Behave will ya? He worked bloody hard to get those good contacts. I don't have them. In fact, as hard as I worked, and as much as I thought I could write, I was nowhere near good enough as a networking, approachable, contact-making sports Journalist as I wished to be. So I ended up working at a gadget magazine.

Can't write? Twice north west sports journalist of the year? They don't give that to people who can't write, mate. So think what you will about the newspaper he works and the moral implications of that, but don't be calling him a hack because it's not true.

I too was questioning Chris' match report today when I read it. I didn't enjoy it at all and it was a shame to see Chris pitch it the way he did, but going on past knowledge he'll have his reasons for this shift and you feel they won't be dictated by editorial constraints. I think that line about the bond between Rafa and Hicks tells the story.

Ace

That's a fucking good post because I never thought of the "making contacts" side to Journalism.

That's a fucking good post because I never thought of the "making contacts" side to Journalism.

It's 75% of the job. Do you have any idea how many people there are of equal writing ability there are in this country that would love to be a journalist? Any arsehole can string a sentence together, but the ones who get to the top do so because of their ability to make good contacts, who treat their sources well and cultivate them over time. Those who people can deem trustworthy enough to confide in to get certain messages out there.

Think of something like getting Jamie Carragher on side, and the information that would filter though and the long term story implications of that contact. Then tell me with a straight face that you (not you personally Rashid, but others) think Bascombe should choose him as a sacrificial lamb over a young French goalkeeper after yesterday. No. Fucking. Way.