You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe?

lifetime fan

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all Evertonians are bitter twats.

Not all Mancs are arrogant twats.

Not all Chelsea fans are thugs.

Not all Portsmouth fans are over-tattooed drum-beating Neanderthals.

Not all journalists are cunts. And the paper they write for isn't what decides on them being a cunt or otherwise.

Are we still allowed to think all Newcastle fans are a bit tubby and don't like wearing tops?

To be honest I read it myself (and this will no doubt get me pelted) as having been written in the main with the score at 1-1, with TB expecting it to either end 1-1 or for us to snatch it. Take out the first two paras plus the last one and you'll see what I mean.

Obviously letting Barnsley score twice is an embarrassment, and shows a lack of concentration, but (and inviting a bit more pelting) when the opposition goaly is many people's man of the match then you've got to be objective in your criticism.

Itandje apart, I see no reason why Rafa should be criticised for that result on the basis of his team or his tactics. Charlie should have been dropped after the Havant game, like Dudek should have been dropped after the first Arsenal cup game last season. I'd have preferred him to stick Martin in, at least then one for the future is getting a chance in a big game.

Even Kewell was worth giving another chance to - and did he do nothing at all? Was he not just 2 inches too high from what might have been a great winning goal?

We're not getting hammered in games, we're losing by odd goals, drawing because of missed chances or singular lapses of concentration, we're very very close to winning.

We're so close that any one of the so-called "excuses" may well be the difference.

1. No assistant manager to help refine the rough edges of Rafa's ideas, to come up with alternative ideas to work with, to spot things Rafa doesn't spot.

2. Distractions of having to plan tactics for owner-relations and press-relations instead of getting on with planning tactics for the game.

3. No clear indication of where his future lies from the owners, leaving some players unwilling to give their all, feeling that they've only got to sit it out a bit longer and there'll be a new boss.

4. Injury luck on a par almost of the days of Souness and Boersma.

5. Still no funding to get the squad up to a value like Manchester United's has. Forget the idea that Rafa might have been able to win the league for us with a lower budget than United, that's not a realistic expectation, it's more a hope and a feeling that it's your best chance under your circumstances. Another £20m worth of striker partner for Torres might have been the difference in all those 2-2s, 1-1s and the 0-1s.

6. At least one game we know of (Reading away) where Rafa was forced to sacrifice the league - already a lot to expect - in return for trying to keep his job with a CL result. How many other games were played with that kind of thought in mind? The owners want money, not silverware, and going out of the CL in the quarter finals is probably worth a lot more than lifting the FA Cup as far as cash is concerned.

7. The home support. How many away fans have sung about how crap it is? How many reports have mentioned it? How many of our own have admitted it? Run round three defenders, con the goalie and shoot two inches wide and you get abuse these days. At one time you'd get a cry of "hard luck lad" and a round of applause, giving the player heart to try again a bit later and maybe get it on target this time. Now he's left pissed-off and passing backwards instead of taking a player on. We're still on the whole well-supported, but we are being watched more-and-more by an audience rather than supporters these days.

1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 are in the court of the owners. 1, 2, 3 and 6 could be addressed by the owners now, without the club changing hands. 5 isn't likely under this pair, or guaranteed under DIC if they do come in. We can't do much about number 4, other than Rafa going and pissing on each corner of Paco Hill.

As for number 7, it's probably not going to change until the audience have something to cheer about, the supporters are becoming a minority to the audience and their demands.

Top post lad.

We're so close that any one of the so-called "excuses" may well be the difference.

Close to what mate? I don't think we have been close to the league title since Evans came 4th in a 2 horse race.

No assistant manager to help refine the rough edges of Rafa's ideas, to come up with alternative ideas to work with, to spot things Rafa doesn't spot.

Is that something that is the fault of anyone else mate? Rafa chose not to bring in an assistant, well he has promoted someone but if it doesn't work the buck stops with Rafa.

Distractions of having to plan tactics for owner-relations and press-relations instead of getting on with planning tactics for the game.

Who was it that bought the issues with the owners into the public eye again?

No clear indication of where his future lies from the owners, leaving some players unwilling to give their all, feeling that they've only got to sit it out a bit longer and there'll be a new boss.

I think that's part of a managers job to be honest, I guess the players of United for example would create a seige mentality for their boss under those conditions.

Injury luck on a par almost of the days of Souness and Boersma.

Eh? United this season has Rooney out 6 weeks, Hargreaves 2 months, Carrick 2 months, Scholes 4 months, Neville their captain has been out for a year, Saha is a sick note etc. Every team has injuries..

I agree with your other points although it does come across as excuse after excuse.

The article slaughters Rafa and Itandje - who else? It appears, as has been implied by Bascombe previously, that Rafa has lost the dressing room, so why isn't he slaughtering those who aren't acting professionally and not putting the appropriate fucking effort in on the pitch - could it possibly be that they have briefed him in private and he's helping to get rid of a manager who his pals don't like anymore?

I certainly think that's the case

Barnsley did not steal victory here. They richly deserved it.

That's a ridiculous statement. I can't remember the last game at Anfield where we had more chances. I just checked the stats and we actually had more goal attempts in this game than the 8-0 over Besiktas in the CL.

Our finishing was awful (as usual!), but to claim Barnsley richly deserved to win?? Come on....

Quality posting real red- a pleasure to read amongst the usual dross.

ChrisB, i've got no problems with the content of your match report but the style it was written in grates. It doesn't seem to be the style employed whenyou were at the Echo. Tell me, is it editorial pressure or some sort of corporate mindset of the NOTW or where you just writing as areally pissed off fan primarily?

That's a ridiculous statement. I can't remember the last game at Anfield where we had more chances. I just checked the stats and we actually had more goal attempts in this game than the 8-0 over Besiktas in the CL.

Our finishing was awful (as usual!), but to claim Barnsley richly deserved to win?? Come on....

Only a knobhead would say Barnsley deserved to win that.

We rightly fling opprobrium at our team, our strikers, our manager for failing to stick 6 past the sheep-fucking chancers, but let's be objective here, we battered them for long periods and but for some poor finishing, inspired keeping, the woodwork, and that fucking cunt Shitandje in goal, Barnsley would be well out.

Fuck credit where it;s due, they could play that game another 99 times and they'd never win it again.

It's really quite risible that we can field a team where ten of the starting line-up have international caps and the manager cops the flack when they don't do enough to beat a mid-table Championship side at home. Most of our players need to take a long hard look at themselves because they are simply not doing anything on the pitch to earn their wages. And there aren't any excuses for it.

It's really quite risible that we can field a team where ten of the starting line-up have international caps and the manager cops the flack when they don't do enough to beat a mid-table Championship side at home. Most of our players need to take a long hard look at themselves because they are simply not doing anything on the pitch to earn their wages. And there aren't any excuses for it.

Do you think we should operate without a manager and coaches?

I read two paragraphs of that and know Bascombe regrets evrything! He's now going to be viewd as a cunt by his own as Gerrard would have if he'd gone to Chelsea.

He's lost every scrap of credibility he'd worked so hard to build up over all the years. If that's his article, and its a major IF, then cheerio Chris you don't know your arse from your elbow.

rafa out, brilliant report

I find it very odd that CB has taken a sudden disdain for anything Rafa says or does in the past few weeks. I always felt CB was Rafa's unofficial spokesman.

I've always believed Parry uses the press to get across whatever shit he wants to. Whether that has included Bascombe I can't be sure, but it would surprise me if it hasn't.

Rubbish mate report, blind to the fact of how poor our back four have been all season, including Carra, who needs to take a look at himself and man up for the clubs sake in terms of backing Rafa.

However, when the ink has eventually dried on the imminent deal with DIC, which will remedy their serious error of 12 months ago, it is Moores and Parry who will have redeemed themselves as the men whose internal resistance truly saved the club from meltdown.

Is this a joke ?

Parry has zero chance of redeeming himself. He's been at odds with Rafa for years, due to his incompetence and its largely his fault every aspect of the club is in disarray, including on the pitch.

Chrisb calling out Cardie for calling him cunt and then saying "say it to my face" etc.. is funny.

Esp given that Chris has now begun to just slate/pick on individual LFC players from the comfort of his red top.

The articles have Chris's name on them, he isn't hard to find by anybody at LFC. I'd say he is being brave... whereas calling people cunts on here isn't very brave. Did you think about what you just posted?

Bascombe needs to cover London clubs. Or spend a year in Norwich. Start writing again, not posturing. Take a complete rest from LFC. He's become so neurotic he resents any Liverpool manager who doesn't treat him with sufficient respect (or any poster who doesn't bow at his feet and call him 'Chris'). It's gone too far. He's a very limited hack who has become seriously conceited.

I sense a banning *prays to god*

He really is just a hack. A hack who used to have the luxury of well-established lines of communication with his local club. But he has no obvious writing ability, nor notable analytical skills, so I can't quite see why he should be so tetchy if Liverpool managers or other members of staff, or just us mere fans, treat him like what he actually is - a pragmatic, commercially-driven hack. If he wants to be loved, do a more decent job. He's a News of the World hack. That's it.