You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Support Houllier

Chris

Total agree with you Steve and I think you articulated it a lot better than I did. Last season was disastrous, Evans did aid our progression and Houllier furthered that. Perhaps, he has done as much as he can or perhaps he will complete it? This season is the ONE as far as GH is concerned, so lets at least be happy that fail or succeed that we as Liverpool supporters backed him all the way

good points steve.......sad thing is, if we arent challenging for the major honours next year, then i know one or two players are going to be looking at their futures.

The only thing i object too with houllier is the way he treats certain players within the club, its simply not right, but most people wont get to see or hear about this (the way it probably should be, dont get me wrong).

Anyway, roll on pre and new season, i need an away piss up trip asap!

SM - he totally flipped after a question over Cheyrou. I said he pranced around in white boots and looked like he didnt even want to be on the pitch. He pulled Chris Bascombe into the office and ripped him to bits over the question, singling me out specifically as more of an Evertonian than a Red. He also had a go at Bascombe for daring to suggest that Arsenal were an excellent side and miles better than us.

[%sig%]

Post Edited (06-13-03 09:37)

I dont think its a crime for Houllier to disagree with Chris Bascombe, but it is when he then tries to tell him what to write in the Echo or deny access to players for interviews if he doesnt like what he sees. Houllier is the manager of Liverpool FC, not the censor for the local press.

[%sig%]

Post Edited (06-13-03 09:36)

Guest Scousewegian

Rex:

You give a very fair assessment of GH and what he has achieved.

Some people are too quick to write him off and forget what we were like before he arrived (a soft touch who wouldnt have won a thing).

"The Liverpool Way" as far as I am concerned is to support the manager no matter what and leave any decision to sack or "mutually consent" them to people within the club who have the full picture.

A lot of people for whatever reason just want to see the back of him but this is what I cannot understand some people twist the facts and slate him off for things that he has/hasnt or will/wont do or said/hasnt said.

Its a sad fact that Liverpool fc now attracts people for whom the club is just a hobby and who have no real feeling fpr the club.

I have always had a superiority complex supporting the reds I genuinely believed we were different to all the other clubs, laughing at the sack the manager or sack the board brigade of other clubs but sadly we are now down to there level.

Ive depressed myself writing this!

YNWA

The trouble is now there are so many internet forums and radio/tv phone ins compared to years ago. Its inevitable that such dissent will develop, especially given how may have jumped on the bandwagon of supporting a football team as a hobby. I admit myself, I am very critical of Houllier and his methods of late, but I try to be in a constructive and analytical manner. However, I also still believe he should be given another season.

No matter what happens though, I will never ever turn against him in the ground. That place exists for the sole purpose of supporting and getting behind whoever is on the pitch and in charge, no matter what we may think of them. Rationally speaking I am crazy to spend what I do watching the Reds but I will never stop because its such a big part of my life. I went to my first game in 1977, have been a season ticket holder since 1986 and can not imagine not going. My life wuold be empty without it.

[%sig%]

To those who say that this is not the time to question Houllier, when is it? During the season we are told to ‘get behind the team’, after games it is ‘knee jerk’, after losses it is just ‘ jumping on the bandwagon’. Pre season is the best time in the world to question the manager, question what he has done and what he must do rectify the situation that HE has got us into. I make no apologies for the fact that I see our ambitions for a season to be better than a 5th place finish to deem it a ‘success’.

This is not a pre-pointer of "I told you so", this is to stir debate and focus back onto GH that this is in fact his last chance to redeem himself. Another mediocre season playing mediocre football although will be acceptable to his ‘sympathisers’ it will not hold for reds who have higher ambitions.

Someone questioned what I meant by the term favouritism, most true reds can work that one out. It is the paying and playing of ‘stars’ like Heskey who have done nothing to justify that show of faith while other home grown talents suffer.

Let me ask you this:

Are Biscan and Diao really that much better than Welsh/Carragher/Thompson that we needed to buy them?

Is Vignal better than Warnock?

Is Xavier better than Stephen Wright?

Is Heskey better than Mellor?

Is Traore better than Raven?

The list could go on, I don’t care who our players are or where they are from as long as we win the league, but having to put up with mediocre players ahead of home grown talent riles me. Its called favouritism, a means of trying to justify large sums spent on disastrous signings.

GH does NOT deflect media attention away from the players and towards himself, he has NEVER taken the blame for anything. "The players are tired, the players are young, we have injuries" etc etc…… please don’t go there.

The reality that GH came in and made some inspired signings is a myth, I would not call Meijer, etc that much inspired, they were so inspired they made us millions right? I agree he addressed the defence which to me is fantastic as we couldn’t do it for love nor money over 10 years. In doing that he has totally neglected the midfield, an area that STILL needs addressing today. How many defensive midfielders do we need? Michael Essien be on your guard, Liverpool may want you. Houllier has spent £110M odd and had real success in Dudek, Kirkland, Henchoz, Hyypia, Riise, Babbel, Baros and Hamann. Nobody else has yet justified their fee. He has still to make a PROFIT on a player he has signed.

The 5 year plan was supposed to buy Houllier time, so why now that he has been given that time has the 5 year plan been ditched? Noone mentions it anymore. When 3 years ago, people regularly mentioned it as way of giving GH time.

I don’t buy that stuff about Babbel and Berger being injured, its football and its life. Its not an excuse to be made, we have the biggest squad in the PL. Let us not forget that..

I don’t think the notion that Houllier is in the last chance saloon is an altogether bad one. We all want him to succeed, just some of us accept that to succeed he has to totally overhaul his thinking on style of play, favouritism and his transfer policy.

To say you have a job for life, is totally wrong, he should not be made bullet proof, yes give him a year, but he must deliver a title challenge with a better style of play or leave cos if he doesn’t he WILL have failed.

To me everyone seems to be saying the same thing. Whether someone is pro-GH or anti-GH everyone is of the opinion that this is the season for delivering a serious title challenge and more entertainment. I think GH has done a lot of very positive things for our club and it was last season when it all went terribly wrong. We all know, and I think GH knows, he and the team have to deliver so lets give it one last push under GH and get vocal and behind the team, particularly at Anfield. If it does fail, then at least we can be happy that we supported our team and our manager as much as we could.

Guest Phil C

Rex this might be true

but

IMO

there seems to be a tendancy for people to almost WANT him to fail now so they say "told you so " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want to say they where first to see the truth and this troubles me .

[%sig%]

Guest Scousewegian

"I make no apologies for the fact that I see our ambitions for a season to be better than a 5th place finish to deem it a ‘success’"

If we had finished 5th in the league and won the CL would you consider that a success?

I only ask as you have forgotten to mention our WC win wich is why GH said the season could be considered succesfull (which I dont agree with).

Why didnt you mention this? Is it because if you dont it makes him look foolish for saying 5th place is acceptable??

"Another mediocre season playing mediocre football although will be acceptable to his ‘sympathisers’ it will not hold for reds who have higher ambitions."

What have we come to when to support the MANAGER OF LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB is to be labelled a sympathiser?

[%sig%]

"there seems to be a tendancy for people to almost WANT him to fail now so they say "told you so " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They want to say they where first to see the truth and this troubles me ."

name names dude ;-)

[%sig%]

Guest Phil C

"name names dude ;-)"

your vanity never cesses to amaze me !

you must have trouble finding hats to fit ?

;>)

LOL

[%sig%]

Guest Scousewegian

Ha ha, I saw that too. I was going to let it slip quietly away tho :o)

I still dont think any of you are allowed an opinion but im keeping quiet on it... till the revolution!