You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Blues Brothers..

Stouffer

I'm watching it at work.

Aw man, you rule, Stoofer.

I'm heading down to Wales this weekend. Had arranged myself an appointment in Wiltshire for today but the douche cancelled yesterday. I'd have been most of the way to Llanelli and back on expenses. Damn.

One of the best films ever made, topped only by the Life of Brian for me.

I was walking through the centre of Leeds a few years back and suddenly there was a loud "YOU! ON THE SIDEWALK!" I turned round to see the car complete with massive tannoy strapped to the top and Jake and Elwood driving. They were putting on a rythym and blues review at the Grand. Had to go. Was totally fucking ace. By a country mile the best live performance of anything I've ever seen. Right down to dudes backflipping down the aisles of the theatre to the sound of James Brown and the audience instinctively getting to their feet and dancing and joining in with the songs. Sufuckinpoib.

• Upvote 1

One of the best films ever made, topped only by the Life of Brian for me.

I was walking through the centre of Leeds a few years back and suddenly there was a loud "YOU! ON THE SIDEWALK!" I turned round to see the car complete with massive tannoy strapped to the top and Jake and Elwood driving. They were putting on a rythym and blues review at the Grand. Had to go. Was totally fucking ace. By a country mile the best live performance of anything I've ever seen. Right down to dudes backflipping down the aisles of the theatre to the sound of James Brown and the audience instinctively getting to their feet and dancing and joining in with the songs. Sufuckinpoib.

There used to be one of them that lived around Broomhall in sheffield - wonder if its the same car.

Getting whacked by the nuns cane is still one of the funniest scenes in any film.

In defending myself and my 'it's an overrated pile of shite' statement; I can't stand the style of music, I don't think there's any directorial talent whatsoever; in the car chase scene (they smashed up more cars in that scene than anyone else. So fucking what???), there's pretty much no acting ability on show, the storyline is weak at best - it is, in essence, a west end musical.

Awful, just bloody awful. I respect all of your opinions in as much that most of you love this drivel but it's not for me.

Fargo - now there's a movie worth raving about.

In defending myself and my 'it's an overrated pile of shite' statement; I can't stand the style of music, I don't think there's any directorial talent whatsoever; in the car chase scene (they smashed up more cars in that scene than anyone else. So fucking what???), there's pretty much no acting ability on show, the storyline is weak at best - it is, in essence, a west end musical.

Awful, just bloody awful. I respect all of your opinions in as much that most of you love this drivel but it's not for me.

Why did you watch a film called "The Blues Brothers" when you can't stand the style of music tho'?

I would never watch a film with Jazz in the title. Not that I wouldn't watch a "Jazz" film of course.

Why did you watch a film called "The Blues Brothers" when you can't stand the style of music tho'?

I would never watch a film with Jazz in the title. Not that I wouldn't watch a "Jazz" film of course.

Because for years I've been listening to people ranting on and on and on about what a brilliant film it is. So I watched it to get a non-prejudiced opinion of it.

I was wondering that. A film called the blue brothers, featuring Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Cab Calloway...

Music aside, I'd be stunned if anyone could watch them visiting the nun squeezed into those school chairs getting caned for cussing without laughing, or the coolness whith which they ignore the ever destructive assassination attempts by Carrie Fisher, or when she corners them, Belushi turns on the puppy eyes, snogs her, then drops her in the mud and fucks off. Fucking funny.

Dude I feel sorry for you, rabbiting on about directorial talent, story lines and acting...you've totally missed the point, it's brilliant because it doesn't give a shit about any of those things, it's just a funny, fun movie. Although I will say that if you don't like the music then it would be harder to like the movie. This is in essence a musical comedy, both parts being equal...I don't think anybody with half a brain cell could argue with the comedy side of (as it's one of the funniest films ever made, "if there's one thing I hate more that Nazis, it's Illinois Nazis"), but I'll agree not everybody will dig the music.

No argument from me on the Fargo point though, great, great movie.

Despite your tasteless ignorance, you have touched on the most pressing unanswered question of the last century:

Why was a movie featuring soul music called the Blues Brothers?