You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divorce - pros & cons?

Redder Lurtz

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

First of all, sorry to hear that.

Second of all, the kid thing is such a backwards mentality. Staying together for the kids isn't the best thing is it, if you can maintain healthy relationships with both parents. I sure wish my mum had left my dad the times she threatened to down the years. She was well within her rights to and I think myself and my sister would have been better off without the blazing rows, the dysfunction, the tension, the lying awake at night listening for him coming stumbling up the stairs.

Not saying that in any way there's that kind of dysfunction in your house mate, just using my own experiences as a kid to highlight that backwards thinking. 

Can sort of echo this. 

My parents split, got divorced, got back together then split. Over the years form aged 6 till about 19 it was off many more years than on, and even when they were on, it was terrible tbh. 

I spent years wishing my family was stable and 'normal'. But I knew where we stood, they couldn't be together.

Few years later in my mid 20, my flatmates parents split. They'd stayed together for the sake of the kids and waited till the youngest left school before selling up and parting. My flat mate was distraught over it, felt like his whole family life had been a lie, which it largely was.

Not really sure where I am going with this... but I felt better off than him, maybe my pain had been dealt with by that point, but it felt more honest and better to know than have my relationship with my parents predicated on a massive lie. 

Also she expected you to give up watching footy? I watch more now that I have kids, the boys are all fucking over it, I cant avoid a game if I wanted to. She's lucky they didn't get to that age mate, she might have had to do a flit.

Chin up mate, go easy on the ale and fanny, pace yourself, there's enough to go around 

• Upvote 7

A lot of lads I know have separated or have been divorced recently. One lad has decided with his Mrs to stay together until their kids are 16 and move out. They've always done their own thing and never seemed to be really connected anyway.

What makes me laugh about some women is their attitude and expectations of what married life will be. A lad in my work was supposed to get married last year but called the wedding off. He is a big gym head and she didn't like that at all. She even came with him to the gym to see what he did (obviously didn't realise it was just constantly lifting weights).

She told him "once we are married you'll have to knock this on the head". He said he was baffled as they'd been together 3 years and she knew he liked doing this. She got a cob on when he asked what they should do instead, just sit around like John and Yoko together and never having anything to talk about. 

My cousin used to play footy every Saturday and Sunday yet when he got married he said he would compromise and just play Saturdays but that wasn't enough for his Mrs who always came up with some massive emergency on a Saturday like going to DFS to look at sofas. 

Some women just think married life is about dominating your man because he's supposed to grow up and become more mature when married so stupid things like footy or the gym get in the way. Or "allowing" them to the things they like every now and again makes a healthy relationship. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Was it because you have to tickle your arsehole to enable you to piss?

It's tickling the top of my bum that makes me pee, not my arsehole.

Good memory though Tony, must be seven years since I posted that.

• Upvote 3

If it wasnt for money concerns and a child, me and my wife would have legged it by now. Money troubles are getting worse and there is another child on the way, so from reading this ive another 16 years of limited football and no life to look forward to. I hate most of you on here too. There really is no refuge.

• Upvote 6

You'll feel lonely for a while Mook but you will also be able to do what the fuck you want, watch what you want, drink what you want, game, play music, wank yourself silly. No early mornings, no constant noise. Embrace it man.

Then your time with the kids will be fun as you'll have had plenty of 'me time' so you won't feel as overloaded.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John102 said:

If it wasnt for money concerns and a child, me and my wife would have legged it by now. Money troubles are getting worse and there is another child on the way, so from reading this ive another 16 years of limited football and no life to look forward to. I hate most of you on here too. There really is no refuge.

Take it from experience, if you feel like that just take the plunge and split up. You only get one life. You’ll be making each other miserable and that’s no way to live. I get on better with my kids mum now we’re divorced and happier with other people and the kids benefit from that. Money is a twat of an issue in general but you can’t let it dictate.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

I've been separated from my Wife for 5 years now and have been happily with my partner for 4 of those. 

my ex is getting married in January next year to the fella she ran off and had an affair with. 

Im in no rush to get divorced for the sake of the £600 it costs, im not looking at getting married anytime soon and have been holding out on her having to pay as she's getting married. 

she filed for divorce about a month ago and I finally received the email today. 
I filled it all in and sent it back uncontested. 

I was then met with the below. 

karma is fucking sweet !!!!

I sent her a text telling her I'd signed the documents. When the penny drops. Hahahhaha

0C710BF7-1E67-429A-A058-DABD09FD1CAC.jpeg

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

I've been separated from my Wife for 5 years now and have been happily with my partner for 4 of those. 

my ex is getting married in January next year to the fella she ran off and had an affair with. 

Im in no rush to get divorced for the sake of the £600 it costs, im not looking at getting married anytime soon and have been holding out on her having to pay as she's getting married. 

I sent her a text telling her I'd signed the documents. When the penny drops. Hahahhaha

Brilliant, she should have done the divorce filling at least 6 months ago and that would have been based on you playing ball.

People have no concept how long the law can take, a good example being house buying. Even as a seller you're not in a chain and the buyer is paying cash it can take at least 3 months.

Anyway, a little victory for you.

11 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Bloody hell 5 years has rolled round quickly. I remember you separating not long after I’d got over the shit bit of separation and started enjoying single life a bit.

glad you’re settled mate.