You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divorce - pros & cons?

Redder Lurtz

I do like this thread, and acknowledge that there are loads of relationships that turn to shit, and it’s better that they end as amicably as possible. BUT, in my personal experience, all my family (immediate and extended) and friends (long term) who have gone on to get married, are all still wed and to my knowledge happy. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

I do like this thread, and acknowledge that there are loads of relationships that turn to shit, and it’s better that they end as amicably as possible. BUT, in my personal experience, all my family (immediate and extended) and friends (long term) who have gone on to get married, are all still wed and to my knowledge happy. 

Weirdo. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Liverpool lad said:

I still find the concept of marriage and the clamour to go through with it somewhat puzzling 

The main benefit is to bring colour to this thread with whimsical anecdotes! 

I'm married, in fact we had 3 parties for it; 2 in Ukraine, 1 here. The 2 in Ukraine were brilliant, bringing together our 2 families and friends in a scenario that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Both cost £500-600 for venue, photography, all food and drink plus the ceremony in the first one. I think wedding presents easily turned both into profits actually - though this wasn't due to deliberate mingebaggery on my part. 

The one in the UK was also great, cost £2.5k for venue, food and some booze but not all and even a bouncy castle (was meant for kids but almost none turned up). Did well to keep the budget that low with a lot of help from friends with food, decorations, DJing and photography. This time I wasn't quite in profit but the wedding presents paid for our honeymoon. 

We had 3 belting parties and a honeymoon for negligible profit/loss, it meant my then girlfriend could come and live with me here but most importantly we devoted ourselves to one another. When I was younger, I didn't really see the point in weddings until I went to several of my friends ones and had a great time. 

I guess it could bite me in the arse in the future if we separated and she took half or whatever, but we have 2 kids now so they would need support anyway. 

Each to their own, I can see why it seems unappealing to some but it's one of the best things I ever did. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

I'm married, in fact we had 3 parties for it; 2 in Ukraine, 1 here. The 2 in Ukraine were brilliant, bringing together our 2 families and friends in a scenario that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Both cost £500-600 for venue, photography, all food and drink plus the ceremony in the first one. I think wedding presents easily turned both into profits actually - though this wasn't due to deliberate mingebaggery on my part. 

The one in the UK was also great, cost £2.5k for venue, food and some booze but not all and even a bouncy castle (was meant for kids but almost none turned up). Did well to keep the budget that low with a lot of help from friends with food, decorations, DJing and photography. This time I wasn't quite in profit but the wedding presents paid for our honeymoon. 

We had 3 belting parties and a honeymoon for negligible profit/loss, it meant my then girlfriend could come and live with me here but most importantly we devoted ourselves to one another. When I was younger, I didn't really see the point in weddings until I went to several of my friends ones and had a great time. 

I guess it could bite me in the arse in the future if we separated and she took half or whatever, but we have 2 kids now so they would need support anyway. 

Each to their own, I can see why it seems unappealing to some but it's one of the best things I ever did. 

“Darling, getting married to you is one of the best things I ever did.”

“One of the best...? What are the others?”

“First time I AC Slatered, and when Splat won the GF Animal tournament that I organised”.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, mattyq said:

A mate of mine had been with his gf for 8 years and decided to get married. The spent £22k on the wedding and were divorced 7 months later.

Another had been with his missus for 12 years, got married and were divorced 4 months later. He had to pay her £120k and half the house but she forfeited all other claims

Fuck that!!

I bought my place before I’d even met her, let alone got married. She never had her name on the deeds, never put a penny towards the mortgage and has just taken me for £30k. 

She’s a fucking cunt but it’s the best £30k I’ve ever spent. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I bought my place before I’d even met her, let alone got married. She never had her name on the deeds, never put a penny towards the mortgage and has just taken me for £30k. 

That’s the best way of thinking about it.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

That’s what I don’t understand. What is honestly the logic in her getting a payout from that? Why is property always something that you have to give up if they fuck you off?

I don’t know where the sense of entitlement comes from, my mate has a decent job, a few properties he rents out and his own place, got with this girl who had no assets of her own and a part time job. Her circumstances asset and job  never changed throughout. They got married and not even a year later she announced she was leaving him even though he’d done nothing wrong.

He had to give her 40 grand, just why?

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

“Darling, getting married to you is one of the best things I ever did.”

“One of the best...? What are the others?”

“First time I AC Slatered, and when Splat won the GF Animal tournament that I organised”.

Fucking hell, have you put mics up in my house?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

That’s what I don’t understand. What is honestly the logic in her getting a payout from that? Why is property always something that you have to give up if they fuck you off?

I don’t know where the sense of entitlement comes from, my mate has a decent job, a few properties he rents out and his own place, got with this girl who had no assets of her own and a part time job. Her circumstances asset and job  never changed throughout. They got married and not even a year later she announced she was leaving him even though he’d done nothing wrong.

As my solicitor pointed out “because you’re married you’re fucked”. 

42 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Some lad I used to be mates with worked for 10 years with two jobs while his Mrs never worked. Albeit she did the majority of the kids upbringing because he was always working. 

They argued for ages over money and in the end she forced him out. He kept saying that when the kids were 18 he was entitled to half the house (75 grand). However, they are all over 18 now and two have moved out yet he's never had a penny and she's moved a new fella into the house.

He kept telling us it would cost him 5 grand in legal fees to get his money. He won't admit it but he basically got fuck all

7 hours ago, Remmie said:

When it works it’s one of the best things ever. 

Just don’t marry a total cunt because she has boss tits. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

Being brutal I’d say that for the girls it’s that desire to be a princess for a day, all the planning, attention etc. The only lads who’d be massive into it are the ones who are punching and want to get it locked in legally. 

Fuck that!

4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

As my solicitor pointed out “because you’re married you’re fucked”. 

Never seems to work the other way round though does it?

I bet if she had a flat and you moved in, everything reversed, you’d have been laughed off the stage if you’d tried to get anything.

7 hours ago, Remmie said:

There's a song for every post, those about Ukrainian weddings included... 

• Upvote 2

I love my wife but we've been going through some really rough times over the last year. Part of me would love to get a divorce but I'm honestly not sure if it's the circumstances (live and work together on top of Covid lockdowns) that are causing it or if we just hate each other more than we love each other

1 minute ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I don't think it's always that simple, as nice as it would be.

Maybe not, but if you love and are loved in return then the foundations from which the relationship is built are strong. The stronger the foundations, the better the chance of weathering the storms that will always come from time to time. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Maybe not, but if you love and are loved in return then the foundations from which the relationship is built are strong. The stronger the foundations, the better the chance of weathering the storms that will always come from time to time. 

True. We just have a massive love/hate thing going on st the moment. We need normality.

• Upvote 2