You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter Milan after Gerrard?

StevieH

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if gerrard broke his leg first day of the season I personally think we'd end the season in a similar position than if he played i.e. 4th or there abouts rather than dropping like a stone to mid table mediocrity.

So you'd have taken the chavs £30m offer for him then?

Thankfully, we're hardly likely to find out if you're right. I actually think you're wrong.

Yeah, a few stats from some games may show we've won games without him but the overall influence can be seen when he's out of the team.

I just dont follow why this club has so many fans just waiting to slag off the players who, in recent years, have almost single handedly carried this club.

So you'd have taken the chavs £30m offer for him then?

Thankfully, we're hardly likely to find out if you're right. I actually think you're wrong.

Yeah, a few stats from some games may show we've won games without him but the overall influence can be seen when he's out of the team.

I just dont follow why this club has so many fans just waiting to slag off the players who, in recent years, have almost single handedly carried this club.

I wasn't going to bring up the 'more points won without him' btw

Steven Gerrard will not leave as Inter couldn't afford him and Italian football is on a downward spiral as it's been for years. This thread has just been another opportunity for his critics to tell him to fuck off because he's not wanted by a handful of nobheads. On some level I wish he would go, just so the nobheads who doubt him would realise how much he would be missed in a Liverpool side.

Unirghteous, Xabi Alonso and Mascherano hardly offers much going forward surely?

Steven Gerrard will not leave as Inter couldn't afford him and Italian football is on a downward spiral as it's been for years. This thread has just been another opportunity for his critics to tell him to fuck off because he's not wanted by a handful of nobheads. On some level I wish he would go, just so the nobheads who doubt him would realise how much he would be missed in a Liverpool side.

Unirghteous, Xabi Alonso and Mascherano hardly offers much going forward surely?

Xabi Alonso and Masher as our CM partnership?

Hahahaha. Fuck me. Disastrous.

Goal threat = zero. Pace = zero. Attacking threat = zero.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Xabi Alonso and Masher as our CM partnership?

Hahahaha. Fuck me. Disastrous.

Goal threat = zero. Pace = zero. Attacking threat = zero.

And thats just Xabi. He isn't going to become the player that we all hoped he would and that he promised to be in his first season here. A move back to Espana will be best for both parties in my humble opinion. At the ripe old age of, what is he, 25/26?, he is looking past it. I'd wave him bye bye in the Summer and not shed a tear.

I don't think xabi's past it at all. his form has been up and down this year but that's generally because of injury and a stop start season.

form is temporary/class permanent. i still think xabi is able to dictate games and generally look a class above in the passing department when he's playing. we were screaming for his return when he was injured saying we lacked decent distribution/ball retention so give him chance to get his form back

I don't think xabi's past it at all. his form has been up and down this year but that's generally because of injury and a stop start season.

form is temporary/class permanent. i still think xabi is able to dictate games and generally look a class above in the passing department when he's playing. we were screaming for his return when he was injured saying we lacked decent distribution/ball retention so give him chance to get his form back

Of course he is. Good post too, great to see some realism and sensible thought occassionally.

Guest PaddyBerger15

You know what, I must see different games to the ones that some people watch then.

Not having a pop, as opinions are subjective, but Xabi has been poor since the 2006 FA Cup final when he had one of the worst performances ever to grace Cardiff. He is getting slower and when he isn't actually on form, he is ponderous of thought also, and once that happens he is an accident waiting to happen. When on his game I agree he is very composed and makes things tick nicely, but those games are becoming fewer and further between. I know injuries have played their part, and the broken foot could happen to anybody, but he is the kind of lad that needs several games back in the team before he gets anywhere doing what he does best.

If we were still able to command a fee of 12m for him then I would say bye bye. Its not that I dont like him or want him to succeed, or that I think he is overrated per se, I just think he is overrated by some on here and its been a Xabi wankfest for too long without him doing anything to justify it. If Rafa is seen by some to still be dining out on Istanbul, then Xabi is aswell, as for mine, he hasn't done a great deal since.

Opinions are opinions I guess.

You know what, I must see different games to the ones that some people watch then.

Not having a pop, as opinions are subjective, but Xabi has been poor since the 2006 FA Cup final when he had one of the worst performances ever to grace Cardiff. He is getting slower and when he isn't actually on form, he is ponderous of thought also, and once that happens he is an accident waiting to happen. When on his game I agree he is very composed and makes things tick nicely, but those games are becoming fewer and further between. I know injuries have played their part, and the broken foot could happen to anybody, but he is the kind of lad that needs several games back in the team before he gets anywhere doing what he does best.

If we were still able to command a fee of 12m for him then I would say bye bye. Its not that I dont like him or want him to succeed, or that I think he is overrated per se, I just think he is overrated by some on here and its been a Xabi wankfest for too long without him doing anything to justify it. If Rafa is seen by some to still be dining out on Istanbul, then Xabi is aswell, as for mine, he hasn't done a great deal since.

Opinions are opinions I guess.

To be fair to Xabi, he clearly wasn't fit for that cup final. He did his ankle in the run up to the game and was 50/50 all week. We gambled by having him out on the pitch and the gamble didn't work.

I wouldn't be too hard on him for that.

This season is very similar as well. He's been injured for the most part and that's why everyone is saying 'he's past it'.

I agree that Xabi has flattered to deceive somewhat in the Premiership but I think some people still have short memories. He's a fantastic player and has ran a lot of our games when he's been fit. I wouldn't sell him, indeed i'd have him starting the majority of games at Anfield because he helps our game reach a tempo that isn't there without him in the team.

It wasn't that long ago when people were proclaiming that Xabi was better than Gerrard, so how we've come to this I don't know.

The point about injury is a good one, Ian. It's been a similar situation with Carra, too. He broke his ribs, spent aout 20 seconds out of the team and is then written off (unbelievably) for a couple of - at worst - average performances.

Guest PaddyBerger15
To be fair to Xabi, he clearly wasn't fit for that cup final. He did his ankle in the run up to the game and was 50/50 all week. We gambled by having him out on the pitch and the gamble didn't work.

I wouldn't be too hard on him for that.

This season is very similar as well. He's been injured for the most part and that's why everyone is saying 'he's past it'.

I agree that Xabi has flattered to deceive somewhat in the Premiership but I think some people still have short memories. He's a fantastic player and has ran a lot of our games when he's been fit. I wouldn't sell him, indeed i'd have him starting the majority of games at Anfield because he helps our game reach a tempo that isn't there without him in the team.

It wasn't that long ago when people were proclaiming that Xabi was better than Gerrard, so how we've come to this I don't know.

I wouldn't disagree with a lot of that Brownie, but when he is ponderous in movement and thought he is a liability in the middle.

I agree that perhaps the FA Cup final wasn't the best example to use as he shouldn't have played, but I used that as a watershed example of how he hasn't done much since either. There are few examples for me of him controlling the game and dictating it that seems to have been set in stone as fact. Its like years ago when folks mentioned Molby and 'never gives the ball away' as if that was part of his name.....if you'd been at Anfield regularly, believe me, he did and often, but its something that was said, repeated and went into folklore and set in stone as being the way it is...and for me its the same with Xabi. Somebody starts a mantra, others repeat it as that what they want to happen and suddenly its accepted as an unshakeable truth.

I

'm not dissing Xabi, I like the guy, he just flatters to deceive and I don't think he is suited to our league...he is too slow already at the age of 26 and needs too much time on the ball to decide what he is going to do with it these days.

I can't believe why anyone would want him to leave. He needs to be on the team if we are to win anything in the next few years. People can (and no doubt will) question his attitude, but his ability can't be questioned.

As right as your Carradonna, however his attitude is pivotal to our success with him in the side. The same goes for any player wearing a red shirt.