You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Set pieces

Paul

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bitch and a moan; just a request for a reminder: when did we last have a consistently dangerous set piece taker? Our corners have been poo for years - there isn't a player in the squad who can whip a dangerous ball into the box. Free kicks - we've had a few good 'uns (Gerrard and JAR), but no-one consistently great for years. And finally penalities: both Gerrard and Owen have been variable. Who's the last "in the corners" penalty taker we had?

Billy Liddle was the last really effective corner taker from the left and right. They would come in fast and high and then kind of hang - usually right in the centre. And that was when the balls were made of tough leather with prominent laces and as heavy as lead when sodden with mud and water.

Why do we have to have a specific corner kick taker in Gerrard .It is not as if he whips in the worlds best corner.He crosses it ,that is it.If he is classed as that good for crossing the ball or sees himself as the clubs best crosser(which he will) why doesn't he demand to play wide right where he can cross the ball all day long.

Free kicks.If they take one more when they roll it to another "dead ball expert" and he then proceeds to hit the B&Q sale blimp or any player who dares to make an effort to block it I will be as mad as marvin the martian

We haven't got a set piece 'expert', and with Gerrard being arguably the best passer of a ball who is a regular, that is why he takes everything. Everyone has been saying that we are desperate for a quality winger and I am sure when (or if) we do get one, then they will be responsible for corners.

Gerrard's scored quite a few penalties lately and I think that if you have a very good strike rate, then its fair enough to keep taking them. On the subject of penalty taking what about Molby. Remember his hat-trick of pens against Coventry wasn't it. Brilliant.

It doesn't really matter how good the delivery into the box is for corners as you can guarantee that 3 players will be stood on the halfway line holding hands, 1 will be between the half way line and the box and 2 will actually be arsing about taking the corner which leaves just 4 players in the box who are being marked by 9 players from the opposition. And invariably, the ball will end up being passed all the way back to Reina anyway!

As for freekicks, it surely can't be that hard to work on something in training?

Anyone remember Rush's freekick goal against Arsenal in the cocacola cup in 1994?

• 2 weeks later...

Think this deserves a bump after Sunday.

Did anyone honestly think the ball wouldn't cannon into Joe Cole or whoever the first runner was when Riise rolled it ever so slowly for Gerrard in the second on Sunday?

Why didn't Gerrard, perhaps the most accurate striker of a ball on the pitch, have a direct punt at goal?

Absolutely shocking stuff again. I'm surprised Rafa, a man obsessed with the finest details, hasn't worked on a few different models for set pieces, like the stroke of genius for the Agger goal last May.

Think this deserves a bump after Sunday.

Did anyone honestly think the ball wouldn't cannon into Joe Cole or whoever the first runner was when Riise rolled it ever so slowly for Gerrard in the second on Sunday?

Why didn't Gerrard, perhaps the most accurate striker of a ball on the pitch, have a direct punt at goal?

Absolutely shocking stuff again. I'm surprised Rafa, a man obsessed with the finest details, hasn't worked on a few different models for set pieces, like the stroke of genius for the Agger goal last May.

aye. rolling the ball gives them vital seconds to make up the ground. Walls are never ever ten yards away as it is, so rolling the ball just makes it worse.

aye. rolling the ball gives them vital seconds to make up the ground. Walls are never ever ten yards away as it is, so rolling the ball just makes it worse.

Gerrard scored against the barcodes from the ball being rolled to him though, Jim?

I think if we were playing with confidence and picking up more points, we wouldn't be talking about set pieces.

Gerrard scored against the barcodes from the ball being rolled to him though, Jim?

I think if we were playing with confidence and picking up more points, we wouldn't be talking about set pieces.

Was the one against the Arse rolled to him as well?? We need someone like Zola,who is looking to bend one in the top bin each time though

When the Mancs or Chelsea are struggling in games they tend to pick up points from their set pieces. How many times have we moaned about them winning games from a cheated free kick, a deflection or a last minute scramble from a corner?

I bet they score 5-10 more goals per season from set-pieces than we do and that can be the difference between challenging and not.

Look at how many goals Everton score from set-pieces. Bolton used to be the same. Mid-table sides pushing for Europe on the back of a regular flow of 1-0 wins in tight games.

Not a bitch and a moan; just a request for a reminder: when did we last have a consistently dangerous set piece taker? Our corners have been poo for years - there isn't a player in the squad who can whip a dangerous ball into the box. Free kicks - we've had a few good 'uns (Gerrard and JAR), but no-one consistently great for years. And finally penalities: both Gerrard and Owen have been variable. Who's the last "in the corners" penalty taker we had?

Litmanen comes to mind....

When the Mancs or Chelsea are struggling in games they tend to pick up points from their set pieces. How many times have we moaned about them winning games from a cheated free kick, a deflection or a last minute scramble from a corner?

I bet they score 5-10 more goals per season from set-pieces than we do and that can be the difference between challenging and not.

Look at how many goals Everton score from set-pieces. Bolton used to be the same. Mid-table sides pushing for Europe on the back of a regular flow of 1-0 wins in tight games.

The Norwegian commentator said on Sunday that Liverpool had the worst record from corners in the PL. Scoring only 1 goal so far from a corner this season. On the other hand we had the best record defending corners. Not one goal conceded from corners( although we have conceded quite a few goals from free kicks ).

So there`s no doubt there are quite a few extra points to gain there. Another frustrating aspect is Gerrard taking the corners. He is one of the best headers we have, so he should either be in the box, or outside the area picking up return balls.

The Norwegian commentator said on Sunday that Liverpool had the worst record from corners in the PL. Scoring only 1 goal so far from a corner this season. On the other hand we had the best record defending corners. Not one goal conceded from corners( although we have conceded quite a few goals from free kicks ).

So there`s no doubt there are quite a few extra points to gain there. Another frustrating aspect is Gerrard taking the corners. He is one of the best headers we have, so he should either be in the box, or outside the area picking up return balls.

Didnt Tevez score at Anfield from a corner ???

The barcodes probably ran the wrong way. It isn't just now, I have always thought it was odd to knock the ball to another player stood right next to you. I can understand a longer pass, but it rarely seems to help. You see far more dead ball ones go in. FACT, in fact.

Doesn't surprise me at all. And I agree about Gerrard.

I hate it when we have a corner as Gerrard (apparantly our best set piece taker) is shit at them. Let Alonso take them, or even Mascherano they know how to put a bit of height on the ball. Gerrard always drills them in, into the first opposition players head without fail.

Good shout to the post about a Zola type free kick taker, I would love a player who could do that on a regular basis, at least an extra 5-10 goals a season. 'Top Bin Everytime' comment of the day so far.