You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa may have the club at heart...

Elite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson CBE

86-87 11th

87-88 2nd (nine poins off of the top)

88-89 11th

89-90 13th (FA Cup Winners)

90-91 6th

91-92 2nd

and then the period of dominance began.

We're competing in a far harder era, against opposition who're either more stable and settled, much more cash rich or in Man Utd's case BOTH.

Rafa, as a European & FA Cup winner deserves one more season after this, particularly with the way this one has been shot to shit by The Cowboys. He doesn't deserve two less than Houllier.

Problem is, an increasing minority of our fanbase is very, very much like Newcastle's nowadays. The longer you go without winning what you want in this era, the more things are blown out of proportion, the more reason is cast aside and - ultimately - the longer you go without that elusive prize. As ever in the English league, you either offer sufficient patience or you give enough money to see if enough of the shit you buy sticks ala Mourinho.

Well fuckin' said mate.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it is affecting the players.

But what was wrong at Portsmouth and Porto or Birmingham and Marseille at home. We were poor in those games as well. What was wrong in most of our away games last season?

As I've said, maybe I'm wrong but I think it's an excuse that some people are only to quick to use when in reality it's the team selections and tactics that are the reason for our poor form this season. Not what's going on behind the scenes.

I'm gonna be quite brutal about Rafa.

Lets face it, we're not gonna win the league with him in charge. Even if he was given £500m in the summer.

Here's the reasons why:

1. He's stubborn e.g. Kuyt

2. Too negative

3. Waits too late to make substitutions

4. Stupid fucking rotation policy/ridiculous team formations

If any of you can't see that, you're fucking blind.

Totally correct - agree with all and would also add appalling record in transfer market (same reason GH sacked).

Inability to spot a striker (Torres a no brainer)

Lack of development from Reserves

£140M to replace 5 houliier players

Quantity over quality

We are now becoming a joke outside the city - All this nonsense about the problems with the board came out in the open because of Rafa not Hicks - he just responded.

A when did professional footballers give a shit who owned the club so long as they are still getting paid. Instead of chanting for Yanks out (who probably dont give a toss what we think - they in it for the money) how about letting Rafa know we not impressed with his record.

Always worry when manager delivering poor results always talks up fans support - well for record he aint got mine

Rafa and Hicks the new Riidgewell/O'Leary and God help us -

DCI please come in and get rid of the whole bloody lot of them

Totally correct - agree with all and would also add appalling record in transfer market (same reason GH sacked).

Quantity over quality

We are now becoming a joke outside the city - All this nonsense about the problems with the board came out in the open because of Rafa not Hicks - he just responded.

A when did professional footballers give a shit who owned the club so long as they are still getting paid. Instead of chanting for Yanks out (who probably dont give a toss what we think - they in it for the money) how about letting Rafa know we not impressed with his record.

Always worry when manager delivering poor results always talks up fans support - well for record he aint got mine

You didnt really need to add that bit. I think its clear from your posts that you think Rafa is shite. But please do carry on. We could do with another repetitive mantra spouting warrior.

I love the way that the European Cup is now a tin-pot trophy. If told, when GH left, that just under four years down the line we'd won a European & FA Cup, reached another European Cup final but hadn't lived up to our promise in the league as of yet almost everyone would still have been frothing at the mouth about the prospect of the EC coming back to Anfield, about us being a major force in that most prestigious of competitions.

Instead, to some twat faced shit monkeys it carries about as much weight as the Carling Cup. A lot of it is down to timing. If Rafa had replaced Souness at the helm, there wouldn't be all of this shit thrown at him. But again, the further away that elusive prize gets, the more the idiocy grows & the more the Newcastle analogy rings true.

Fun fact:

How many league titles did Arrigo Sacchi win when manager of a Milan side many consider to be one of the greatest in football history? Where was his reputation really built?

1. Newcastle comparsion false as we have won trophys

2. If Rafa gets sacked at end of season (which I hope) will have had 4 years and £140m

Board shouls now step in - tell him 4th place his priorty for financial reasons

Forget about additiona players - and cut back on rotation - if he doesnt like it he can walk - WITH NO COMPENSATION and get say Kenny in till end of season before appointing new manager

All talk about players leaving if Rafa goes is nonsense - all under contract - If some wish to go let them - they signed for LFC not Rafa FC

I love the way that the European Cup is now a tin-pot trophy. If told, when GH left, that just under four years down the line we'd won a European & FA Cup, reached another European Cup final but hadn't lived up to our promise in the league as of yet almost everyone would still have been frothing at the mouth about the prospect of the EC coming back to Anfield, about us being a major force in that most prestigious of competitions.

Instead, to some twat faced shit monkeys it carries about as much weight as the Carling Cup. A lot of it is down to timing. If Rafa had replaced Souness at the helm, there wouldn't be all of this shit thrown at him. But again, the further away that elusive prize gets, the more the idiocy grows & the more the Newcastle analogy rings true.

Fun fact:

How many league titles did Arrigo Sacchi win when manager of a Milan side many consider to be one of the greatest in football history? Where was his reputation really built?

Steady on. I've already been criticised for saying that others are thinking that. Beware the backlash mate.

News

Don’t blame owners for shoddy displaysJan 22 2008

by David Prentice, Liverpool Echo

PERHAPS we’re taking this Capital of Culture thing too far.

Just look at one of the Kop banners which was defiantly hoisted aloft last night.

“Flee Forthwith Foster and Friends For Thine Fetid Finance Hath Floundered”.

It certainly offered a stark contrast to “One DIC Is Better Than Two?”

But both pointed at the most pressing problem sweeping Anfield right now.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

The over-riding culture at Anfield is blame culture.

And two Americans sitting 3,000 miles away are the wrong men to blame for four successive draws.

The angry masses came to make a point, but instead they saw their side struggle to claim one.

And that’s not just been a problem since Tom Hicks started sneaking into meetings with German footballers.

Even when the title dream was still just about flickering, back when the sun was shining, Liverpool were less than convincing.

Lucky draws at Portsmouth and Porto came as far back as September, and were followed by disappointing home draws against Birmingham and Spurs.

The most convincing run of results came in November, when Rafa-gate first reared its head.

The basic fact is that this Liverpool squad hasn’t been anywhere near good enough to challenge the top three of United, Arsenal and Chelsea all season.

There’s formidable strength through the middle – Reina is top class, Hyypia was imperious last night, while Gerrard and Torres are players to die for.

But either side of that superb spine is so much flotsam.

Liverpool can’t call on a full-back worthy of the name right now. Benitez seems to have lost faith in Finnan, Riise’s confidence is at breaking point, while Aurelio and even the previously outstanding Arbeloa creaked like Victorian floorboards last night.

Further forward Benayoun and Kewell are squad players at best, Ryan Babel is precociously talented but a work in progress, while the only striker who looks capable of forging a potent partnership with Torres appears to have been caught using the manager’s parking space.

But while Benitez has a blind spot regarding Peter Crouch, he’s proved before he can fashion teams capable of conquering Europe from mediocre resources – just look at the presence of Djimi Traore and Josemi on the Istanbul pictures.

He can do so again, but only if people stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett have publicly backed Rafael Benitez – whether you believe them is a different matter.

But with away games at West Ham and Chelsea looming, a united front is needed more than ever.

The Kop has done as much as it can to send a Transatlantic message to the American owners.

The first chant of “It’s In The Wrong Hands” started soon after kick-off, and reached a crescendo seven-and-a-half minutes later.

Another chorus started after 28 minutes – but not before the integrity of the American owners had been called into question by a more abrasive catcall.

They’ve done their bit. But there can be no more excuses.

The fans have lit the blue touch paper, now they should stand back and wait for the fireworks.

1. Newcastle comparsion false as we have won trophys

Board shouls now step in - tell him 4th place his priorty for financial reasons

Forget about additiona players - and cut back on rotation - if he doesnt like it he can walk - WITH NO COMPENSATION and get say Kenny in till end of season before appointing new manager

Laughing my bollocks off now......

Everyone loves Kenny. No doubt. Fuk me he wasnt been manager of Liverpool for 18 years.

I laughed my nuts off last week when Keegan went to Newcy....and that above is just a contradiction in terms.

Still, despite many short sighted people here wanting Rafa out, nobody has yet come up with a viable, decent, immediate, available alternative.

Oh, and you would hope the mythical alternative manager (that nobody has yet come up with) would be 'big' enough to keep Rafas signings at the club....then again, most of you lot wouldnt care, you think theyre all shite anyhow.

Dont shoot the messenger man. I thought it added to the debate.

Ok its Prentice but he has a point in there somewhere.

No offence meant to you mate, sorry if that's how it came across. I just think Prentice is using the opportunity to stick to boot in.

I don't think it's actually possible to judge Rafa or the team at the moment as we can't really tell how much this is affecting the team or Rafa himself, to be honest.

Quantity over quality

if rafa hadnt said anything we wouldnt know about these to fuckers, i think u should give rafa a bit more respect

No offence meant to you mate, sorry if that's how it came across. I just think Prentice is using the opportunity to stick to boot in.

I don't think it's actually possible to judge Rafa or the team at the moment as we can't really tell how much this is affecting the team or Rafa himself, to be honest.

Non taken. I know prentice is a cock but if you put bias to one side some of what he says is true.

PS Journalists are paid to stick the boot in.

Firstly, why are you worried about Rafael Benethus comments from blueshite nomarks anyway? and secondly, nice to see you kicking a man while he's down.

Do please carry on.

Its the second time in his tenure that the blueshite could finish above us and its not acceptable, not kicking him why he is down, he does that to himself.

The majority of replies in this thread have been laughable and must be a poor wind-up attempt because the views are mis-informed and in some cases just absurd.

With that said IF the owners wanted to sack Rafa they now have grounds on footballing reasons. I still think we'll finish 3rd but the constant draws and underperformance would give them reason to sack Rafa.

Drowning man you are so right and i take my hat off to you.

If i ever meet you remind me to shake your hand because you have hit the nail on the head with that comment.

Give Rafa the 20 odd years Fergie's had and the financial backing the cunt got aswell and i think youd find more than one champions league title in his achievements!

Here's another thing:

Given that the refinancing now looks as though it's set to go through, you either keep Rafa and let him build the club in his image over the next 10 years, OR you concede that the only Championship we'll ever win is the Coca-Cola one.

Sack Rafa AND restrict our finances heavily with this irresponsible loan and IT IS INEVITABLE that we will end up having to sell our best players because sufficient quality cannot be added to them, but there will be the double whammy of no managerial continuity and stability. A Leeds style situation is inevitable if Rafa goes and we end up operating on a such a dangerous, high stakes tightrope. No top managers will want such a precarious job and no top players will want to stick around wasting their best years toiling at a second rate club under second rate managers when they could be playing for teams like Manchester United, Barcelona, Real Madrid & Arsenal.