You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

They could have had some real fun with season 2. They could have had Soong as the guy who created Khan and his troops, then the idea that Picard and co had to let World War 3 happen because that's the only way the Federation would be born, but then you'd have the ethical dilemma of all the people who'd have to die in the process. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Has anyone been watching Picard? I don't think I've ever seen a more narrative mess, it's like they genuinely don't care. I've honestly never seen a TV show like it.

I've seen shit telly, stuff like Doctors or Hollyoaks in terms of the dialogue/story, but have honestly never seen anything which makes as little sense as Picard does in  terms of how people get from plot point A to B, or where entire plot points simply vanish, it's like they were all pissed when they were writing it.

"How do they get out of jail?"

"She uses her mind powers." 

"Does she have mind powers?"

"She does now."

It’s fucking awful and massive disappointment. 

13 hours ago, Section_31 said:

They could have had some real fun with season 2. They could have had Soong as the guy who created Khan and his troops, then the idea that Picard and co had to let World War 3 happen because that's the only way the Federation would be born, but then you'd have the ethical dilemma of all the people who'd have to die in the process. 

It’s mad how you’ve taken 2 minutes to come up with a better storyline than a team full of paid writers have.

For the record I’m still watching just to see it to the conclusion but it’s not great and still have half of the last episode to watch.

I have to say, I feel really let down by the last two episodes of Picard. They put all of these pieces in play but it’s like they had no idea where to go with them. And Q has been severely underused. The FBI agent stuff was risable. The only decent stuff in the last two episodes has been Picard’s backstory.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I have to say, I feel really let down by the last two episodes of Picard. They put all of these pieces in play but it’s like they had no idea where to go with them. And Q has been severely underused. The FBI agent stuff was risable. The only decent stuff in the last two episodes has been Picard’s backstory.

The backstory stuff has been quite good, I know some people are fuming about it but I watched Where No One has Gone Before yesterday to watch that scene where he sees a vision of his mum, and it makes it pretty poignant.

What grates me is the amount of times they throw in plot points that have no purpose, are stolen or just lazy.

For instance, the phaser that's coded to your DNA like Judge Dress and BLOWS UP in your hand. A federation phaser!

Or the way two mid 50s women kill about 50 special forces soldiers who have Borg implants using craft knives.

It does genuinely conjure the image of a bunch of young, disinterested writers just sat there shooting the shit and genuinely not caring if it makes sense of not because they all think it's shit anyway.

The trouble with Picard this season is that the writers had a list of social injustices they wanted to cover from the outset with no regards to how it fits with the narrative and whether these issues could be covered in an intelligent way. Let's just throw in racism, immigration issues, mental health etc and worry about the writing later. It's now clear as fucking day that they chose to take a futuristic show and set it in our time because they are not creative enough to cover these issues in the original utopian star trek future setting. These lazy hacks just went back to the 21st century to remind us how awful humans can be in the present. Like we don't have a million shows like this already, with far better writing. Picard is a joke as far as a star trek series goes. A total and utter mess.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The backstory stuff has been quite good, I know some people are fuming about it but I watched Where No One has Gone Before yesterday to watch that scene where he sees a vision of his mum, and it makes it pretty poignant.

What grates me is the amount of times they throw in plot points that have no purpose, are stolen or just lazy.

For instance, the phaser that's coded to your DNA like Judge Dress and BLOWS UP in your hand. A federation phaser!

Or the way two mid 50s women kill about 50 special forces soldiers who have Borg implants using craft knives.

It does genuinely conjure the image of a bunch of young, disinterested writers just sat there shooting the shit and genuinely not caring if it makes sense of not because they all think it's shit anyway.

Remember the end of the first episode, where the futuristic other-dimensional Borg Queen is taking over the bridge, she says “Look up” just before they are shifted into another timeline and Q arrives. Exactly what his mum says to him in the conservatory at Picard Towers. Are they suggesting that somehow his mum is that Borg Queen? Would be at odds with the suicide, unless in that dimension she survived.

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Remember the end of the first episode, where the futuristic other-dimensional Borg Queen is taking over the bridge, she says “Look up” just before they are shifted into another timeline and Q arrives. Exactly what his mum says to him in the conservatory at Picard Towers. Are they suggesting that somehow his mum is that Borg Queen? Would be at odds with the suicide, unless in that dimension she survived.

Yeah there was some speculation around that but it'd appear to be Jurati now.

There's so many loose plot threads, I've no idea how they can resolve them all in one episode.

This kind of stuff blows my mind. The Okudas worked on the show at its peak and have literally written the encyclopedia on the subject. They used to spend days cobbling together graphics for it, and now it's a show where people fix ships 'with the power of their imagination' and the Borg queen walks around Los Angeles eating car batteries. 

I know these people have got careers to think about, but fucking hell, nerd culture is some kind of dumbed down, cartoon version of what it was and if you point it out, you're called out of order. 

Screenshot_20220504-174250_Chrome.jpg

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This kind of stuff blows my mind. The Okudas worked on the show at its peak and have literally written the encyclopedia on the subject. They used to spend days cobbling together graphics for it, and now it's a show where people fix ships 'with the power of their imagination' and the Borg queen walks around Los Angeles eating car batteries. 

I know these people have got careers to think about, but fucking hell, nerd culture is some kind of dumbed down, cartoon version of what it was and if you point it out, you're called out of order. 

Screenshot_20220504-174250_Chrome.jpg

Shame they didn’t write this show. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Considering the Orville is absolutely dogshit and nothing like proper Star Trek (a poor, part parody, part love-letter), I hope not. 

Could it be that I’m putting the Orville on a pedestal after wading through the fetid mire that is Picard season 2?

10 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Considering the Orville is absolutely dogshit and nothing like proper Star Trek (a poor, part parody, part love-letter), I hope not. 

One could say that current trek is nothing like Proper Star Trek (whatever that is) at the moment.  

45 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, definitely. Though, that doesn’t make Orville any more Star Trek. 

Talking of proper Trek… SNW today, 

Yeah. I need to source a way of viewing that.  
Oh for the 90's when new Trek was readily available on BBC2 and then Sky One. 

• Upvote 1

Wondering what the various captains would think of your illegal streaming.

Picard and Janeway firmly opposed. Sisko would decide he could live with it, Kirk doesn't like to lose. Archer initially supportive but changes his mind. Pike not impressed at all, Burnham would cry then hug you.