You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

8 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Nerdrotic is a clueless lying cunt who needs putting down. Other than that, too bloke. 

He's a miserable, negative twat who only ever complains and never has a good word to say about anything. But I do like his rants, especially when he's ranting about the things I hate too. Which is most things.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Nah Uhura was rewritten as a genius by the Abrams films, she was just a Comms officer.

These new writers don't know how to create rounded characters, they just don't.

The Enterprise in next gen was the federation flagship yet they weren't an infallible crew.

Riker finished eighth in his class, Worf was thick as fuck, Picard had been court martialled for losing his only other command, a 40 year old piece of shit Stargazer. Ensign Ro was an absolute fuckup.

The only character back then that was top of the class was Bashir and they all hated him for it in the first season, Kira and O Brien used to bully him.

The new dynamic in Trek seems to be generic, asexual, badass super young women solving every problem. Heterosexual men only exist in the shoes to be womansplained to by said women.

I was actually thinking about the character of Raffi or whatever her name is, and she seems to have been created - as a black woman - to give shit to Picard, an older white man, at every opportunity. Literally across both series, all she does is give him shit about his 'privelege' and 'arrogance'.

It's not very subtle, and not very entertaining, and altogether quite bizarre.

Spot on. Watched series 1 of Picard and Discovery and didn’t go back to them. Used to love DS9, it had proper acting set in the Trek universe where the humans had supposedly overcome the pettiness of our species to begin to explore the universe. Didn’t mean our faults as people weren’t exposed. As you say, the writers are lazy hacks. 

I’m at least happy that we seem to be getting a full crew with personalities although I’m a little concerned with how much action is being shown. I love thought provoking Star Trek and fun Star Trek it doesn’t always have to be fire fights, explosions and possible galaxy ending scenarios.

im hopeful that SNW will achieve that balance I just hope that they don’t force the parables as much as STD and Picard. 

• Upvote 2

Yeah I've no problem with the action as long as it makes sense. I think the reason there weren't always loads of fights in TNG is because of budgets. DS9 has loads of battles as CGI became more affordable.

The thing for me is it has to make sense. I watched the latest episode of Picard and the preveiw of the next one, and I spend most of it asking 'why is that happening?' 'why does she look like her?' 'why didn't they just do that instead?', you hope that maybe there's a reason but usually there's not. I honestly get the impression that the whole mob, from Patrick Stewart on down, just don't give a fuck about the material.

I realised that in the episode in season one where they were all in fancy dress. Picard was wearing a beret and talking like the copper from Allo Allo, Rios was dressed like a pimp, and Frakes was directing, and I just thought 'they're just having a laugh'.

People like Patrick Stewart think they're too good for scifi, I remember Ian McShane saying the same thing about game of thrones 'it's just tits and dragons'. It's just a payday and a chance to be an executive producer and for Stewart to have his say on trump and Brexit, somewhat clumsily, but it makes for shit telly.

Anson Mount is a big Trekkie though, and Pike a great character, so here's hoping.

• Upvote 1

Renee Picard.

she taught herself to be an expert sailor by age ten; by age eleven, she taught herself chess, fluid dynamics, and Cantonese; and by age sixteen, she was attending a university. She later spent a couple years as a test pilot, which eventually led to her being recruited by NASA

Wibble.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Renee Picard.

she taught herself to be an expert sailor by age ten; by age eleven, she taught herself chess, fluid dynamics, and Cantonese; and by age sixteen, she was attending a university. She later spent a couple years as a test pilot, which eventually led to her being recruited by NASA

Wibble.

Wasn’t Picard nephew called Rene? 

10 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Have you seen the new Strange New World's trailer from today? It actually looks fucking great. 

EDIT:

It does indeed look rather good but...

1. Why is the Enterprise in the planets atmosphere? That's some JJ shit right there.
2. If this is only on Paramount Plus then probably won't be able to watch
3. After Discovery & Picard being mostly shit I can onlty wonder if this looks good in the trailer only.

On the pluse side, Anson is fucking great as Pike & Rebecca Rojmin? Wouldn't say no. 

• Upvote 1

We obviously won’t know if it’s good until we see it. I see no reason to be negative about it until each episode airs, then judge each one on its own merits; it’s a different set of writers and show runners with a different approach. It looks very promising though. The cast looks to play a bigger part than in Discovery, and it looks to be way more of a standard Trek format. Hopefully there’s some interesting stories to be told. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We obviously won’t know if it’s good until we see it. I see no reason to be negative about it until each episode airs, then judge each one on its own merits; it’s a different set of writers and show runners with a different approach. It looks very promising though. The cast looks to play a bigger part than in Discovery, and it looks to be way more of a standard Trek format. Hopefully there’s some interesting stories to be told. 

Agreed, just a case fool me twice...

4 hours ago, Pete said:

It does indeed look rather good but...

1. Why is the Enterprise in the planets atmosphere? That's some JJ shit right there.
2. If this is only on Paramount Plus then probably won't be able to watch
3. After Discovery & Picard being mostly shit I can onlty wonder if this looks good in the trailer only.

On the pluse side, Anson is fucking great as Pike & Rebecca Rojmin? Wouldn't say no. 

Messing with canon again. TOS episode (edit) Tomorrow is Yesterday sees the Enterprise catapulted back to 20th Century Earth. When the crew recover, the Enterprise is low in Earth's atmosphere and detected as a UFO with Starfighters sent to shoot it down.

Spock alerts Kirk to their predicament and says the ship cannot stay this low in the atmosphere, presumably because the ship is not aerodynamic and the nacelle pylons were not built to sustain the weight in a planet's gravity.

• Downvote 1

Don't mind stuff like the Enterprise being able to enter the atmosphere, stuff like that doesn't wind me up, it's as I said earlier in the thread, as long as it makes sense. 

It's when the writers pull deus ex machina out their arse that I can't be bothered with. Such as in Picard, the ship has a working cloaking device but no power for heating. Wibble. 

And lest we forget the seashell that repairs ships 'with the power or imagination'. 

Amazing, when you consider there are people who've worked on Star Trek shows who've actually written blueprints for functioning components and engineering books. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't mind stuff like the Enterprise being able to enter the atmosphere, stuff like that doesn't wind me up, it's as I said earlier in the thread, as long as it makes sense. 

Yeah, same. There’s several examples of it happening in Trek with no issues, including in the episode cited above; DS is talking absolute mince on this one. I have no issue with anyone hating whatever they want, I’ve grown to despise Discovery, but I have a real dislike of people crying about canon and then getting it wrong. 

48 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's when the writers pull deus ex machina out their arse that I can't be bothered with. Such as in Picard, the ship has a working cloaking device but no power for heating. Wibble. 

And lest we forget the seashell that repairs ships 'with the power or imagination'. 

Amazing, when you consider there are people who've worked on Star Trek shows who've actually written blueprints for functioning components and engineering books. 

"The [insert name here] Family" is an often used term used by disgusting organisations to make them look more palatable; but I see Star Trek in that way - to some extent eclectic.

The original series is like a legendary great uncle, that the family talks about in a mock-horrified yet prurient way,  when everyone gets together. His scandalous escapades made the pages of tabloids, as he fell out of Tramps and Annabelles, with yet another young model on his arm.

Desperate to reclaim the family's good name, The Next Generation went off to save the planet and became a famous UNESCO ambassador. 

With the benefit of its older family members' experiences, DS9 left home and formed a great rock band that almost no-one slags off. Maybe a little out of favour now, but everyone who was there still loves them.

Sadly, a once promising Discovery is now a confused social influencer, a narcissist, living off the family fortune whilst finding their self.

Worryingly, the family are often heard saying "we need to talk about Picard", as he becomes more erratic and insular. When he emerges from the basement, no-one knows whether he will be bright and brilliant, or gurning and aggressive.

I'm hoping that the youngest member of the Star Trek family, SNW, is the one that benefits from talent skiping a generation, has some fun and is the life and soul of the party.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, same. There’s several examples of it happening in Trek with no issues, including in the episode cited above; DS is talking absolute mince on this one. I have no issue with anyone hating whatever they want, I’ve grown to despise Discovery, but I have a real dislike of people crying about canon and then getting it wrong. 

Absolute mince? Why? And I havent got canon wrong.

The Enterprise is clearly a star ship and not designed to 'fly' in atmosphere. If you want to talk actual design, the nacelle pylons on the original Enterprise are clearly not structural for the ship in a planet's gravity at low altitude.

Roddenberry even dreamed up the transporter because the effects of the ship landing were too expensive and the design of the ship not suitable.

Yesterday is Tomorrow is the only Trek episode showing a Constitution class star ship at low altitude. Star Trek the Animated series is not considered canon although I think there may have been one shot of Enterprise 'landed' on a planet.

Voyager was a totally different design complete with retractable landing legs.

People not whinging about not sticking with canon is why Trek has gone shit because various producers have torn up almost everything that's gone before.

30 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

"The [insert name here] Family" is an often used term used by disgusting organisations to make them look more palatable; but I see Star Trek in that way - to some extent eclectic.

The original series is like a legendary great uncle, that the family talks about in a mock-horrified yet prurient way,  when everyone gets together. His scandalous escapades made the pages of tabloids, as he fell out of Tramps and Annabelles, with yet another young model on his arm.

Desperate to reclaim the family's good name, The Next Generation went off to save the planet and became a famous UNESCO ambassador. 

With the benefit of its older family members' experiences, DS9 left home and formed a great rock band that almost no-one slags off. Maybe a little out of favour now, but everyone who was there still loves them.

Sadly, a once promising Discovery is now a confused social influencer, a narcissist, living off the family fortune whilst finding their self.

Worryingly, the family are often heard saying "we need to talk about Picard", as he becomes more erratic and insular. When he emerges from the basement, no-one knows whether he will be bright and brilliant, or gurning and aggressive.

I'm hoping that the youngest member of the Star Trek family, SNW, is the one that benefits from talent skiping a generation, has some fun and is the life and soul of the party.

Tremendous.