You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

13 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

If I remember correct although I didnt see Discovery from the very first episode, the first Captain was the guy who turned out to be from the Terran Empire and Burnham was a junior officer.

Ive no problem with women being a captain, I just dont think Burnham has the qualities.

It was more the ratio of men to women.

I agree that her character works better as a member if the crew.

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

I had high hopes for Picard S2 after the first 2 episodes, but it's since rapidly descended into shite. This recent episode really was utter garbage.

Yeah, I feel the same. I really enjoyed the first episode, then the second was decent, then it's sliding into oblivion. 

There’s a new Star Trek show starting soon. I don’t know how to feel about it. They just keep making show after show and how much can you really wrong out of it before it becomes predictable?

42 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

There’s a new Star Trek show starting soon. I don’t know how to feel about it. They just keep making show after show and how much can you really wrong out of it before it becomes predictable?

Its like there's a rift in the space time continuum and everything keeps repeating itself in parallel universes.......again.

47 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Strange New Worlds? 

If so, that's the only one of these fuckers that I think should have been made (now that I've seen them, I mean). SNW looks like it could well be proper Trek. The format is going to be closer, anyway. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Strange New Worlds? 

If so, that's the only one of these fuckers that I think should have been made (now that I've seen them, I mean). SNW looks like it could well be proper Trek. The format is going to be closer, anyway. 

I certainly hope so, it looks promising. I just can’t get into any of the others at all. 

6 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Strange New Worlds? 

Yeah but it fucks me off no end that they release these shows on Netfix, Amazon Prime and other direct subscription channels.

It seems to me, they write these shit Trek series for non trek lovers and put them on these particular channesl to keep their customer 'demographics' entertained.

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but it fucks me off no end that they release these shows on Netfix, Amazon Prime and other direct subscription channels.

It seems to me, they write these shit Trek series for non trek lovers and put them on these particular channesl to keep their customer 'demographics' entertained.

They’ve been removed from those (or will) with a view to putting it on the upcoming Paramount+, but I think they are writing for different sets of people. Some fucking love Discovery, including a lot of Trekkies. I don’t get it. Some love it though. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

They’ve been removed from those (or will) with a view to putting it on the upcoming Paramount+, but I think they are writing for different sets of people. Some fucking love Discovery, including a lot of Trekkies. I don’t get it. Some love it though. 

Don’t think I’ve seen one person say they love discovery, at best some have defended it and say it’s “not that bad” which isn’t really calling it good. It’s beyond shite and the 3rd season particularly seemed to end a lot of interest in fans of ST I know.

I was looking forward to watching ep3 of Picard. Not so much after reading the above.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Take a look on the big Star Trek forum. You'll soon seen people love it. The episode finale got a 10/10 from loads of people. They love it. 

Discovery is a very odd show. So much potential never realised. Not seen S4 yet and this may have changed but can anyone name the Bridge crew and their responsibilities???  As I say this may have been addressed but to me for a show to get to 3 seasons and the bridge crew not be known Is a massive failing. With previous Trek you know the crew by the 3/4 episode of the first season .

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Take a look on the big Star Trek forum. You'll soon seen people love it. The episode finale got a 10/10 from loads of people. They love it. 

Hmmm, strange that. There was talk of a few bots bigging up the end of Picard season 1. 

Personally, I've not minded bits of the new shows, they're entertaining at times, but they're bereft of anything that set Trek apart from 'other' shows.

The science is bollocks, the characters are bland and one dimensional, it's preachy rather than thought provoking. There genuinely doesn't seem to be much respect for Trek from its creative teams now. They all seem to wish it was something else, which is why they spend so much time in dystopian alternate and mirror universes perhaps.

39 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Tbf I’d also give it a 10/10 if I knew it was finishing.

If you Take the r/StarTrek subreddit most of the discussion still centres around TNG, DS9 and VOY. Picard gets some love. The last 20 top discussion topics of the last month - not one mention of discovery as the main point.

r/daystrominstitute also doesn’t seem to spend much time on it. On both of them there are posts occasionally but it’s mostly to say “it’s not that bad”. Discovery is irrelevant on there.

now this forum and Reddit aren’t the be all and end all and I’m sure there are other forums that do love it but I cant ever see me being convinced that it’s decent.

23 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Hmmm, strange that. There was talk of a few bots bigging up the end of Picard season 1. 

Personally, I've not minded bits of the new shows, they're entertaining at times, but they're bereft of anything that set Trek apart from 'other' shows.

The science is bollocks, the characters are bland and one dimensional, it's preachy rather than thought provoking. There genuinely doesn't seem to be much respect for Trek from its creative teams now. They all seem to wish it was something else, which is why they spend so much time in dystopian alternate and mirror universes perhaps.

The science is indeed bollocks. the cause of the burn was also just so damn stupid it verged on insulting. 

I also think a big mistake of discovery was to add the spore drive. It just didn’t make sense and add to that it’s a prequel show it was just weird how the mycelium network was forgotten about in trek if they wanted the new show to feature amazing tech just stick it in the future which to be fair they did end up doing.

20 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Tbf I’d also give it a 10/10 if I knew it was finishing.

If you Take the r/StarTrek subreddit most of the discussion still centres around TNG, DS9 and VOY. Picard gets some love. The last 20 top discussion topics of the last month - not one mention of discovery as the main point.

r/daystrominstitute also doesn’t seem to spend much time on it. On both of them there are posts occasionally but it’s mostly to say “it’s not that bad”. Discovery is irrelevant on there.

now this forum and Reddit aren’t the be all and end all and I’m sure there are other forums that do love it but I cant ever see me being convinced that it’s decent.

Oh, no, nor me. But some love it. I've stopped reading it. I might well stop watching (I won't, but I want to). IF it wasn't Trek, I would.

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's a weird forum. I've been a member of it since Voyager was on the air, so that forum is ancient but for years I've only just lurked. What I remember vividly is the amount of abuse Voyager used to get on the forum. It was relentless abuse. And Voyager in my view is vastly superior to Discovery. Yet Discovery gets so much love and hardly any criticism on that forum. Maybe in 20 years since Voyager ended, the fans of Trek are different, or maybe the oldies that hated on Voyager have mellowed and now just desperate to see any old shite on TV with Star Trek in the title. I take the views of people in that forum with a pinch of salt. Discovery is shit, and it's "Star Trek" in name only.