You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

39 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Picard S2 started yesterday. Was really fucking good. Discovery on the other hand was probably the worst episode of Star Trek I've ever seen, and I've seen every episode of Star Trek. 

Not watching Discovery and going by the reviews I'll give this season a miss.  Watching Picard after work before the wife gets home. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, it's getting way worse though. It is purely focusing on emotions and the entire season's story is about an emotions monster. Picard started a bit like it ended but that only lasts for 10 minutes, then it's actually just Star Trek. 

It's wall to wall birds too Discovery. Every time they come across a new planet the leader is a woman. Half expect the two Ronnies to be hiding in the bushes.

53 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Picard S2 started yesterday. Was really fucking good. Discovery on the other hand was probably the worst episode of Star Trek I've ever seen, and I've seen every episode of Star Trek. 

Thanks for the reminder, totally forgot this was happening this month. 

As for Discovery, I gave up on it after the last season. Truly dreadful. Has season 4 been an improvement?

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's wall to wall birds too Discovery. Every time they come across a new planet the leader is a woman. Half expect the two Ronnies to be hiding in the bushes.

The Gorn that turned?

• Upvote 2

Ive had the dis pleasure of watching the occasional Discovery episode now they are showing it on Pluto tv for free. It's so underwhelming that despite being on at 9pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I completely forgot to stream the last episode!

Think the only reason I watch is to see how utterly shit they have made it (S4). The whole concept through TOS to TNG was despite Trek being sci fi, it was still imaginable of future tech and how things might be.

Discovery just seems full of shit. Burnham was nearly drummed out of Star Fleet, now she's captain of the titular ship. Or sometimes she is because that Saru is also a captain or something? And it's now 900 years in the future of TOS timeline?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Ive had the dis pleasure of watching the occasional Discovery episode now they are showing it on Pluto tv for free. It's so underwhelming that despite being on at 9pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I completely forgot to stream the last episode!

Think the only reason I watch is to see how utterly shit they have made it (S4). The whole concept through TOS to TNG was despite Trek being sci fi, it was still imaginable of future tech and how things might be.

Discovery just seems full of shit. Burnham was nearly drummed out of Star Fleet, now she's captain of the titular ship. Or sometimes she is because that Saru is also a captain or something? And it's now 900 years in the future of TOS timeline?

The science in new Trek is bollocks too, they were talking about something called programmable antimatter or something recently I believe. Wibble.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

While I'm on the subject the wokeness of Trek extends to ship names now too.

Gone are the Saratoga and Yorktown, in is the wing Wu, the bum bong, the USS Ning Nang Nong.

Just need the Milligan 

16 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That first episode of the new season was class once it got going ... proper old school Trek. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Yep thought Picard was class. What was good was that they'd clearly listened to the fans too, when Starfleet turned up there was a good selection of ship designs rather than the copy and paste efforts from last season's finale.

Fun fact: Some on Twitter have been going mad about the fleet. Fucking wallopers, Trekkies. 

Was a good episode though, lots of action that wasn't ridiculous, nice to see people back in uniform, and generally well done Q stuff. Really looking forward to the rest of the season now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Looks good! I loved Mount as Pike, fingers crossed for this. 

It looks like a modern take on what original Trek looked like. I'm sure everybody will find something to hate, but considering it's going to be episodic, it's got characters we actually like, and looks to be done without any of the turmoil behind the scenes that the likes of Discovery had, there's a chance. Just be a bit like Mando and Boba Fett is to the original Star Wars and everybody will like it. Make it good Sci-Fi on its own merits. 

10 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It looks like a modern take on what original Trek looked like. I'm sure everybody will find something to hate, but considering it's going to be episodic, it's got characters we actually like, and looks to be done without any of the turmoil behind the scenes that the likes of Discovery had, there's a chance. Just be a bit like Mando and Boba Fett is to the original Star Wars and everybody will like it. Make it good Sci-Fi on its own merits. 

I think most people are willing to give stuff like this a go. The fans are vilified across pop culture now if something is criticised but sometimes some things are just shit. 

Fixing a ship with a magic seashell and being told it works by the power of your imagination, or taking out a power generator by getting the only Latino character to kick a football at it, or endless, endless crying.

• Upvote 1

On 04/03/2022 at 15:12, Numero Veinticinco said:

No, it's like S3 on woke crack. 

S1 had a few indicators of its direction of travel. That admiral Cornwell - did she have an interest in starship design, like Sisko? An extensive knowledge of Sun Tzu, or General Patton? A focus on exploration, diplomacy and foreign cultures like Picard? Knowledge of threats such as the Borg, like Shelby and Hanson?

No, she was a part-time admiral/ part-time Rogerian * therapist. Unconditional positive regard for the Borg. Yes, that will help the Federation.

* Gestalt is where it's at. Ask Niles.

17 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So, it's not that long until this beauty becomes reality. Here's a teaser for Strange New Worlds. 

Id say this is probably the last chance for Star Trek to redeem itself and get back to decent sci fi.

I havent seen Picard so cant comment on it although the B4 \ Data dismantled in a box under Picard's bed seemed a bit ludicrous to me!

Discovery doesnt really have any sci fi in it, it just seems nonesense set in space. Again, only saw S1 when it was on E4 and havent seen and S2 & 3 episodes.

The beauty of Star Trek was in the hope for humanity it gave you. Discovery just seems to have contentious stuff in the modern world transposed into the distant future. Who wants that?

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Id say this is probably the last chance for Star Trek to redeem itself and get back to decent sci fi.

I havent seen Picard so cant comment on it although the B4 \ Data dismantled in a box under Picard's bed seemed a bit ludicrous to me!

Discovery doesnt really have any sci fi in it, it just seems nonesense set in space. Again, only saw S1 when it was on E4 and havent seen and S2 & 3 episodes.

The beauty of Star Trek was in the hope for humanity it gave you. Discovery just seems to have contentious stuff in the modern world transposed into the distant future. Who wants that?

I don't think it was under his bed. It was in the lab where Bruce Maddox worked in Japan. Some AI research facility. I recently did a rewatch of Picard, and it was way better than I remembered, and Season 2 is shaping up to be very interesting indeed. Discovery has some Sci-Fi in it, the problem is they seem to have doubled down when it comes to the criticism of their 'woke agenda'. The non-binary character is awful. Their entire storyline is that they're non-binary and they exist. I've no issue with a gender non-binary person being in anything, but the story should be good and more than just about saying 'hey, I'm here'. That's just dogshit TV. Dax was pretty much gender fluid, having lived multiple lives as both male and female, but (and I say this as somebody that doesn't really like DS9) she was way more interesting and pivotal. Season 4 is an absolute fucking shambles. I'm not one who agrees that Star Trek need to be utopian or about hope or whatever - some of it, especially DS9 - was dark, but I just don't want it to be absolute dogshit, which is what DSC has become. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don't think it was under his bed. It was in the lab where Bruce Maddox worked in Japan. Some AI research facility. I recently did a rewatch of Picard, and it was way better than I remembered, and Season 2 is shaping up to be very interesting indeed. Discovery has some Sci-Fi in it, the problem is they seem to have doubled down when it comes to the criticism of their 'woke agenda'. The non-binary character is awful. Their entire storyline is that they're non-binary and they exist. I've no issue with a gender non-binary person being in anything, but the story should be good and more than just about saying 'hey, I'm here'. That's just dogshit TV. Dax was pretty much gender fluid, having lived multiple lives as both male and female, but (and I say this as somebody that doesn't really like DS9) she was way more interesting and pivotal. Season 4 is an absolute fucking shambles. I'm not one who agrees that Star Trek need to be utopian or about hope or whatever - some of it, especially DS9 - was dark, but I just don't want it to be absolute dogshit, which is what DSC has become. 

Yeah the bit about B4 \ Data being under the bed in a box was just a bit of a parody by me.

• Upvote 1